IGNORED

Maybe an idea for Infogrames?

d8thstar

hey all, i was thinkin of that lil handheld activision controller thingy that retails for 20 bucks. anyone know if those are actual rom dump images and the controller has some kind of emulator burned into it?

i started thinking about my 2600/cd mod again today and it clicked: why don't we try and petition infogrames to release something along the same lines? they have a buttload more of a back catalogue then activision, why don't they release something along the same lines?

not being the software/hardware engineer that i wish i was (i am a maniac with wire strippers and duct tape though), has anyone tried to disassemble one of the activision controllers?

if there is an emulator on board, perhaps a dump of the rom could lead to a hack for inclusion of more roms?

bored out of my skull...

quote:

Originally posted by d8thstar:

i started thinking about my 2600/cd mod again today and it clicked: why don't we try and petition infogrames to release something along the same lines? they have a buttload more of a back catalogue then activision, why don't they release something along the same lines?

Though I don't speak for Inforgrames, my contacts in that company are as high as you can go. I can tell you that Infogrames is aiming the Atari brand name at high-end arcade machines. They are not interested in releasing or associating the Atari name with the retro games of yesteryear.

Look for Atari to be the best of the best high-end games with lots of modern hardware and marketing behind them. Attempts by yours truly to interest them in any sort of retro release, either emulated in software or hardware, have been futile.

As I said, I can't speak for them - but it seems pretty clear to me from their recent actions (stomping on unwanted use of the Atari name/brand, even by small-folks) that they're very serious about making sure the name stands for modern high-end, and they are protecting their intellectual and marketing property stringently.

quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Davie:

They are not interested in releasing or associating the Atari name with the retro games of yesteryear.

[...material deleted...]

they're very serious about making sure the name stands for modern high-end

That's crazy...it's like buying up Star Trek and then plastering the name on works that have nothing to do with science fiction. I'm sure the Atari name was wanted for recognition; but with such a huge gap between the public's idea of “Atari” and Infogrames' use of that name, will the recognition thus reaped be worth the investment? Perhaps Infogrames could have saved itself some dough by coming up with a brand-new name to connote the desired image.

I don't know, it sure seems to me that they are interested in the Retro games. For instance, take a look at this page on the Infogrames site:

Infogrames - Arcade Titles

Every one of those titles on that page is related to classic gaming, and nearly all of them were released under the Atari label. You have Atari Anniversary Edition, Combat, Dig Dug Deeper, Frogger, Frogger 2, Ms. Pac-Man Quest for the Golden Maze, and Pac-Man Adventures in Time. That's a pretty significant number of titles that have their roots in classic gaming.

Now, I can understand their lack of enthusiasm for creating games that'll actually run on classic-gaming hardware. Anything they spent towards such an endeavor surely wouldn't be made back, and we know most of these large publishers watch their bottom line very carefully. If they won't make a profit on it, you can forget about them pursuing it.

So I see them continuing to take advantage of various Atari properties for use in titles aimed at arcades, PCs and consoles, but I'm not holding my breath that they'll ever release a product that runs on anything older than a PS2.

..Al

Well if all this talk about infogrames is true, then they are contradicting them selves, and i feel that they wont go anywhere, and they will sell the Atari name just to make back some money for there lack of judgement

thats just my opinion, I could be wrong!!

I'm right with you there Lemmi, I remember Hasbro having all sorts of high ideals when they bought the name.

Guys, it's probably better to accept that Atari is dead so we don't get upset at all the horrible things that happen to the name.

I did that a few years ago with Star Wars and I think it did me some good