IGNORED

How rare were table machines and why?

catharton

I had a go on a table version of Space Invaders at a games exhibition in London, and... it was really great fun! I was with a friend and we could sit down, put our stuff next to or even on top of the machine, we could both see the screen properly, the controls felt easier to use sitting down. It was great!

If I ever bought an arcade machine myself it'd have to be a table machine, quite apart from anything else it looks a lot more classy.

Why is this kind of machine so rare though? This was the first time I'd seen one in real life. Were they of very limited appeal, or were arcade owners afraid of vandalism?

If the vandalism wasn't a problem, I could imagine something like tabletop games being popular in clubs or pubs.

Here's my two-bits worth:

The cocktails take up more space than the standard machines (plus you have to have room for a second person to sit).

They were popular in sit down bars - just take out a two-topper and put in something that will generate revenue! The only place that I remember seeing them "in the day" was in Holidomes (where they put a roof over the center of a Holiday Inn - for you youngin's who were not around yet). Mom and dad could play a game and still keep an eye on the kiddies in the pool.

The cocktails

I THOUGHT they were called cocktails, but then something in me said "no, don't be ridiculous" :D

It'd be so cool to do a retro-bar where you had a cocktail game built into every table.

I don't suppose you know how expensive it'd be to buy one second hand?

The cocktails

I THOUGHT they were called cocktails, but then something in me said "no, don't be ridiculous" :D

It'd be so cool to do a retro-bar where you had a cocktail game built into every table.

855778[/snapback]

For what it's worth, they still make em brand new. I saw a shiny new multi game cocktail system at my local mexican restaurant. It plays at least Frogger, Ms Pac Man and I think some sort of Space Invaders/Galagga/something. Also, these were really meant for sit down places. I saw em all the time at pizza parlors, bars and ice cream shops. Meant for people to put an ashtray/food plate/drink/etc on and play to your hearts content. I believe they figured you were more likely to spend more time and money there if you could sit and eat AND play at the same time.

Check ebay. They come in all sizes and prices. The Midway ones are smaller than most but are usually the more popular (expensive) ones.

kMs._Pac-Man.jpg

1078674931.jpg

You can pick some up for a few hundred dollars, but the popular ones could run $500+ (even over a grand or two). Check out the Killer List of Video Games and they show pictures of some cocktails - so that you can have an idea of their size - http://www.klov.com/

-or- if you are handy with wood, build your own! http://www.mikesarcade.com/arcade/cabplans.html

Rare?! Let me put it this way. The ARCADES I remember were full of cocktails. Only in the beginning (i.e. Space Invaders, Taito Defender, etc.) were there lots of uprights. But as things progressed, it was cocktail's almost exclusively.

Yep.. I remember large halls or whole sections of the bowling alley, filled wall to wall with cocktails. That was the way it was throughout the pacific rim and lots of Asia. Cocktails ruled. Funny eh..

I had a go on a table version of Space Invaders at a games exhibition in London, and... it was really great fun!

855631[/snapback]

I agree, they are great fun, that's why I have one in my game room. :)

SI_fulltable.jpg

SI_glasstop.jpg

Midway cocktails were everywhere around here from about the mid 80's to early 90s. You couldn't walk into a pizza place without seeing a couple of them. Wonder where they all went?

-S

Midway cocktails were everywhere around here from about the mid 80's to early 90s. You couldn't walk into a pizza place without seeing a couple of them. Wonder where they all went?

856189[/snapback]

Maybe they went overseas, as my Australian buddy said they're real popular over there for some reason (his MAME machine is a cocktail too ;)).

Edited by Fellow Atari Man

I remember seeing a bunch of these machines throughout the 80s in the midwest and northeast U.S. Ms. Pac Man was the one I remember seeing the most. I always thought it was cool that you could sit down and play them instead of having to stand all the time. I think I remember seeing a Burgertime cocktail arcade game if I remember correctly.

I remember seeing a bunch of these machines throughout the 80s in the midwest and northeast U.S.  Ms. Pac Man was the one I remember seeing the most. I always thought it was cool that you could sit down and play them instead of having to stand all the time. I think I remember seeing a Burgertime cocktail arcade game if I remember correctly.

858039[/snapback]

I don't think they're that rare. Maybe you never saw them because they're most often used in bars/hotels. I don't get people spending hundreds more for a particular game since they're all so generic. No cool front or sideart, no light-up marquees, no bezel. Just a different PCB and instruction sheet under the glass.

I used to work at a Pizza Inn here in Oklahoma and I remember we had one right by the front door (Arkanoid, I think). It was popular with the kids because parents would come in and order a pizza to go or something and the kids would play a quick game while the parents were waiting.

I picked up a Nintendo VS. Cocktail a while back (I guess it's considered a cocktail?) with a monitor on each side. I picked it up thinking I was saving room -- ha! You guys are right, it takes up the space of 2 1/2 to 3 games.

I remember seeing a bunch of these machines throughout the 80s in the midwest and northeast U.S.  Ms. Pac Man was the one I remember seeing the most. I always thought it was cool that you could sit down and play them instead of having to stand all the time. I think I remember seeing a Burgertime cocktail arcade game if I remember correctly.

858039[/snapback]

I know they exist, back at home at the local volunteer fire department, they have one in their break room inside.

• 3 weeks later...

In the Uk they were rare for most arcades only had one or two with the majority being uprights. The majority of cocktail cabinets were in pubs (bars in America) or social clubs such as flying schools and leisure centres. I always thought that they were a great idea for you could sit in comfort and play a friend without having to get up to change over. Pity the idea seemed to fade out.