IGNORED

activision games

oldgame

Also from:

Atari 5200 Hardware and Accessories

Atari 5200 2-port

...snip... Unfortunately, it seems that some 2-port units are not compatible with Pitfall! and Mountain King. However, the 2-port systems are all compatible with the VCS adapter.

So what Activision games don't work and do you have a 4 or 2 port 5200?

857241[/snapback]

I find all non Atari carts harder to get to load. I'm guessing since they have the contacts exposed all the time and they are more prone to get dirty or worse. For what it's worth the only cart I never gotten to work was an Activision cart, Kaboom, but I've gotten several other Activision carts working. Some with no effort at all. I have a 4 port so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Edited by dalton4life

If you have already tried cleaning the contacts and still have problems, then try this...

Insert the Activision cartridge into the 5200, but don't power on the 5200 yet.

Now take a dry Q-tip and push it between the cartridge and 5200 cartridge mouth opening. Push until it fits snug. Power on the 5200. If you still have problems, turn off the 5200 and move the Q-tip to the front of the cartridge. Typically wedging the Q-tip in the back or front is enough to create a slight angle to improve the contact between cart and cart slot. I have yet to find an Activision cart that I can't get to work from using this technique.

I think the problem lies in the shape of the 5200 Activision games. They don't sit very firmly in the cart slot. I have to try like 10 times to get my Activision 5200 games to finally "take"!

Put in one of your games, try to make sure it is firmly in the slot and kind of centered. Turn on the system. If you get the Atari logo with screwy characters for the title part, it is indeed making connection but not firmly enough. Turn off the system, try to manually push or pull the cart to a different 'position' while its still plugged in (Gently!!!). That usually gets it to work (eventually) for me.

For my beloved 5200 River Raid though, I ended up taking the cart PCB board out of the plastic guts completely -- works every time now! (but it sure is tiny).