IGNORED

Why no Sports Games category on the Flashback 2.0?

I don't think the classic sports games genre's quite caught on with the modern gamer yet.

Ancient sports games tended to abstract things so much, and have such minimal user interfaces, that you practically had to play with the manual in your lap to tell what the heck was going on. With the Flashback 2, I think Atari was going for a more of a "pick up and play" experience than that.

I don't think the classic sports games genre's quite caught on with the modern gamer yet.

858863[/snapback]

Yeah...and Video Checkers has caught on in a big way! :roll:

Ancient sports games tended to abstract things so much, and have such minimal user interfaces, that you practically had to play with the manual in your lap to tell what the heck was going on. With the Flashback 2, I think Atari was going for a more of a "pick up and play" experience than that.

I dunno. Tennis, Boxing, RS Tennis, RS Boxing, RS Volleyball, Fishing Derby (?), Ice Hockey, and Skiing are all pretty much "pick up and play" and are reasonably good games as well. Maybe FB 3.0...

858863[/snapback]

Yeah...and Video Checkers has caught on in a big way! :roll:

I dunno. Tennis, Boxing, RS Tennis, RS Boxing, RS Volleyball, Fishing Derby (?), Ice Hockey, and Skiing are all pretty much "pick up and play" and are reasonably good games as well. Maybe FB 3.0...

858915[/snapback]

Go ahead and add Atari's Baseball and Basketball - you couldn't ask for a more simple sports game than those two..

But do you really WANT to inflict the original Atari Baseball on people? Basketball, okay, that would have been a good one. In my first post I was more thinking about any game that includes a playbook. Games like Super Football, while impressive, are basically unplayable without memorizing the manual.

A shame this never got released--

mnetwrkcat12.jpg

As a joke, someone at Infogrames should send out a few hundred FB2.0s with nothing but 40 variations of Home Run on it. :lol:

859036[/snapback]

Man, am I the only one who enjoys that game? :?

859037[/snapback]

Nope. ;)

859686[/snapback]

I remember playing Homerun with my brothers back on Christmas '78. At the time I had never played a video game, never mind baseball on the TV!!! As lacking as it seems now, I really enjoyed playing this game and used my imagination to fill in the obvious gaps. For me, the red vs. the blue team was always the Red Sox vs. the Yankees (I was always red :) ). Good times.

As a joke, someone at Infogrames should send out a few hundred FB2.0s with nothing but 40 variations of Home Run on it. :lol:

859036[/snapback]

Man, am I the only one who enjoys that game? :?

859037[/snapback]

I like an occasional game of Home Run. It's the best version of Stickball on the 2600.

Now speaking of sports games, where is the love for Double Dunk? It does have a playbook, but you should completly ignore it if you want to do well against the computer and unlock the easter egg.

Another project is in the works parallel to FB 2.0

Curt

859799[/snapback]

Curt - do you mean that another system is in the works that will include sports games? If so, any plans for updated or homebrew sports games being included? I hope so!!!

BTW - thanks for all the information you've "leaked" about FB 2.0 - it is much appreciated!

As I'm legally permitted, I try to give out as much as I can.

Curt

Another project is in the works parallel to FB 2.0

Curt

859799[/snapback]

Curt - do you mean that another system is in the works that will include sports games? If so, any plans for updated or homebrew sports games being included? I hope so!!!

BTW - thanks for all the information you've "leaked" about FB 2.0 - it is much appreciated!

859856[/snapback]