IGNORED

Have you ever paid too much just because you really want it?

Cassidy Nolen

Yeah. There isn't a "too much", if it's worth it. Really, things are worth what people pay for them. "too much" is basically comparing one's own value perception with other people's. If other people don't "really want it" like you do, then your value perception is higher, making the higher price, "worth it", and "the right price."

Bump from the far far past. I paid $800 for mother-in-laws out of control for he 2600. Hadn't seen one in forever and of course after I shell out the big bucks there is always one on ebay now.

$800? What did it come with for $800? I hope it included at least the instructions.

Yeah it did have the instructions. Really nice copy, just not $800 nice

All the launch 3DO owners just groaned when they read this thread! For me, the launch Sega Saturn comes to mind - $399 was pretty steep back in '95. But I felt, at the time, it was worth it. But $700 for the 3DO was way too much for what you got.

I'm uber-thrifty but a few times I said "forget cost, I'm buying that right here and now". Can't think of a good example right now. But the most I ever over-payed on a particular game might have been $20 over what something was worth. But I never paid hundreds of dollars for any game and never will.

I've paid more than what something might have been worth at times. Usually it was because it was something I might not have had a chance to get again for a long time. But I've never gone way above it's value. Most of the time I'd be able resell the item at or near the same price. Though every now and then I might suffer minor buyer's remorse, I can't think of a time I've outright regretted a purchase.

I'm honestly not sure buying the Laseractive on launch was such a bad purchase. It was my mothers money so it didn't really hurt me any. I got the CLDA100, Pac-S10, Pac-N10, and Hyperion MD-Rom for $960 after tax at HH Gregg. Almost went with the 3do instead. It was out nearly the same time. In a stupid move (and this does hurt) I returned the Pac-N10 ($200) to buy more games, because NO ONE had any LD-Rom2 games available, and my Duo was just fine for playing my Turbo stuff. Now that American N10 unit is worth at least half of what was paid for the whole set.

I paid around $900 dollars for a pair of LCD 3D glasses. Even though I did my homework I didn't realise just how bad adjusting the focus and keeping the damn thing on yer head could get. It really drove home that just because you pay more doesn't necessarily guarantee better quality.

It had its moments though. Vice City in 3D was great (except some depth problems with the stats). I almost got several Playstation games to play in 3D. The latest Might & Magic games were amazing for the few seconds before full on headache.

Edited by theloon

I've tended to be a bit impatient at times and, when I wanted something all of a sudden, I'd bid whatever it took to get it as soon as possible--not just games, but music and collectibles. I'm getting better at shopping around and biding my time but, sometimes, if I don't expect to see something on eBay for a long time again, I probably still bid more than I should.

I spent over $350 last month on Atari 2600 and 5200 stuff alone lol. $100 for an Atari 2600 lot just to get a copy of Chase the Chuckwagon. That doesn't include the new Genesis and Sega CD systems and all the tabletop and handheld games I just bought also. I'm gonna slow down on the videogame purchases tho. I think I have enough now to satisify my retro gaming needs.

I don't spend too much on a single game tho. I have seen a copy of Beat Em and Eat Em on Ebay for like 60 bucks and I always wonder if I should buy it or not.

Edited by lushgirl_80