IGNORED

Programmer needed for simple programming job. Credit will be

Uncle Duke

Hey, I need a programmer to help me with changing alot of the colors and maybe a few other minor changes in the game Surround. I will give full credit to the one who does the job. Hopefully it wont be too hard to do, but Im not sure because I am totally programming and code illiterate, so someone please help a fellow Atarian out! If you email me at martymcflybttf@hotmail.com

I will give you all the info you need. But basically all it is, is a simple color change and whatever other ideas you (the programmer) has in store. It probably wont be too hard to do, I know that you programmers are busy on your own projects and stuff so I hope this will not be out of the way. Thanks!

How many people would like it if everyone and his brother took a classic movie that fell into the public domain like Metropolis or Night of the Living Dead, recut it or colorized it, and slapped their own credits on it?

Is it an homage, a gag, or is it plagiarism? I think you cross the line when you take hacking so seriously that you put hacking on equal footing with new game creation.

Sure, have fun with it, but at least give credit where credit is due.

Otherwise years from now when the ROM image is all we have, nobody will know who made these games or what the original version is.

"Hey look, it's Tron Light Cycles by Pyramid Studios"!

"No, that's Surround by Al Miller from Atari."

"Who is 'Otari'? The filename says TRONLC.BIN and the emulator database says it's by Pyramid Studios. They must have been some old game company from the 1970s."

quote:

Originally posted by Glenn Saunders:

Is it an homage, a gag, or is it plagiarism?

For me it's a homage and a (IMO very little) gag to hack the graphics only. When you can also improve the gameplay of the game it's perhaps a bit different. But still more than 99% of the credits belong to the original author, because, as we both know and keep telling others, it is much harder, to make a game from scratch than just hacking it. I did about 25 hacks in the last few months and still it took me much less time than the complete development of only a single small 4K game.

quote:

I think you cross the line when you take hacking so seriously that you put hacking on equal footing with new game creation.

Sure, have fun with it, but at least give credit where credit is due.

100% agreed! That's the reason, why I'd never hack my name into the credit screen of a game.

Otherwise years from now when the ROM image is all we have, nobody will know who made these games or what the original version is.

Yes, that's a point where we have to be very careful about the hacks. There was a discussion about this before and I'm very glad that AtariAge is seperating (most of) the hacks very clearly from the original ones.

And my CloneSpy tool can also give some little hints about what is the original and what is the hack.

[ 02-13-2002: Message edited by: Thomas Jentzsch ]

Haahaa (Can we just keep doing this until we hit a bajillion posts like Stan?)

Also my 2 cents on hacks. I agree if you're going to change the games....Do more than just change a few characters (Like I did with haunted house, altho to be fair that girl who owned that WebSite I dont believe was a regular poster and was just participating on the board for the contest...So I whipped that up in a very short time.) Better to do something to enhance the experience. When I did the hack of ET I wanted people to stop complaining about the pits so I took em out almost completely. I would have loved to change colors...And Im sure its not difficult...But to be honest the hacking of games just doesnt seem as rewarding as creating something like Thomas did with Jammed or Thrust. Hacks gets old quick if you dont really make it stand out.

Jesus Christ Glenn, Im not making these games to put on the shelf, so I am making games based on movies, I am doing them because I like to do them, not for you to enjoy. If you like them, ok, good. If you dont, I couldnt really give a rats ass. So you can complain about giving Al Miller all you want, Hell, go make a website titled I complain to no end about Al Miller getting credit, woopty shit. Live a little dont be so tight. I learned to the hard way, old post. But for Gods sake just lighten up and play the games...

P.S.

I give credit to the original makers on ALL my games, so do a little research before you try and sound all smart.