IGNORED

Double Dunk Easter Egg

Big Player

quote:

Originally posted by Big Player:

I have not seen this Easter Egg mentioned on this site or anywhere else on the net, so forgive me if this is old news.

You can get the designer's initials to show up on the statistics screen if you score 199 points against the computer. The game will end and instead of the usual lame phrase, it will display "Design by ***" (I'll reveal the initials in a later post)

Well, since it was designed by Matthew Hubbard, I'd say the first and last initial will be M and H. Don't know his middle name though. M*H

John

quote:

Well, since it was designed by Matthew Hubbard, I'd say the first and last initial will be M and H. Don't know his middle name

though. M*H

John

D'Oh, that's two of the three. How did you know he was the designer? I didn't have a clue myself.

But come on, try to get the last one. And no guessing. I can only imagine the replys. "Is it C?" (It isn't C.)

quote:

D'Oh, that's two of the three. How did you know he was the designer? I didn't have a clue myself.

But come on, try to get the last one. And no guessing. I can only imagine the replys. "Is it C?" (It isn't C.)

Well, I really don't have a clue but for some reason W sticks in my mind as in William. Again, I have no basis for this that I can remember. I'm pretty sure he didn't tell me his middle name when I spoke to him, so it could probably be considered a guess.

John

The initials are MLH (don't know what the 'L' stands for).

Correct. I didn't even know what the M and H stood for.

quote:

Well, I really don't have a clue but for some reason W sticks in my mind as in William. Again, I have no basis for

this that I can remember. I'm pretty sure he didn't tell me his middle name when I spoke to him, so it could

probably be considered a guess.

John

So he told you he was the designer? That's cool. I wonder why he went to work for Atari after working for Activision?

I have not seen this Easter Egg mentioned on this site or anywhere else on the net, so forgive me if this is old news.

You can get the designer's initials to show up on the statistics screen if you score 199 points against the computer. The game will end and instead of the usual lame phrase, it will display "Design by ***" (I'll reveal the initials in a later post)

Hints: Obviously, you need to play the 15 minute game with 3-point shots. The 10-second clock and foul detection will help stop the clock. And like the NBA, don't concentrate too much on defense. It becomes a race against the clock.

Sorry Stan, didn't mean to come off sounding so anal retentive.

I actually found this egg back in 1993. But at the time, I didn't even own a computer. (My 800XL had died the year before ) By the time I got a new computer and internet access, I assumed someone else would have discovered it.

Oh well, probably the only egg I'll ever find.

Finally, we're talking about my favorite game!!!!!!

Cool find, but I beat everyone on this Egg by 3 years! I got this game on Labor Day weekend, when I was working for Service Merchandise in 1990...must have played it for literally 4 days in a row and quickly got to 199 but I think it was a 10 minute game but didn't think anything of it at the time.

You just have to really get into a rhythm of hitting your threes (upper right corner always seemed to work for me). I must have gone like 50-for 70...with a lot of free throws (scoring while clock is stopped). If you get in a groove, the threes mount pretty quickly. If the defense doesn't allow it, go for a quick dunk and try next time. Don't try to steal the ball too much--takes up a lot of time having to do the backcourt thing...

I always picked the red team, imagining I was MJ...I can always dream of such greatness I guess.

quote:

I actually found this egg back in 1993.

Big Player, can you email me?

Just did.

Cool find, but I beat everyone on this Egg by 3 years! I got this game on Labor Day weekend, when I was  working for Service Merchandise in 1990...

I figured someone else had to have come across it.

I bought the game at Odd Lots in '93 for $1. It was the first I had ever heard of it. Definitely the best sports game on the 2600.

I always picked the red team, imagining I was MJ...I can always dream of such greatness I guess

Hey, that's my team!

It's funny, I always seem to do better at the game when I am the red team. I don't know if it is all in my head or if there really are differences in the teams. Though it is a 16K game, I suspect it's all in my head.

Unless that red Mr. Outside really is MJ.

• 2 weeks later...