IGNORED

Frogger TV Arcade

Coleco

My kids just got this as a B-day present and I gotta say this is hands down the worst excuse for Frogger I've seen in many years. I'm still baffled why they didn't do a straight EMU of the original.

My guess is this is the NES are other 8-bit era version. The music totally off as are the graphics.

While it's still fun in some ways, I'd much rather play the 2600, 5200 or Coleco versions -- at least they have some excuse for being less than perfect.

I wonder if Sega or Majesco or anyone will release an improved version using an arcade emulator? Has anyone hear of such an effort?

Emulation in such cheap devices will not happen for several years, because to emulate something you need hardware much more powerful than what's being emulated.

The best we can hope for these days are well-programmed recreations of the original games (simulations), or reproductions of the actual original game hardware, running the original code (like the upcoming Flashback 2, or the C64 stick that was released recently).

It's the same with their Konami arcade classics plug and play stick. I was all excited to see Gyruss, Time Pilot, and Frogger, etc, and was very disappointed to find out that they used the crummy NES versions, instead of the arcade originals. BTW, I'll never understand why they did the Konami arcade classics stick, which includes Frogger, as well as a dedicated Frogger stick.