IGNORED

Asteroids-The prototype question

classicgamingguy

Hi, all:

I have a few questions regarding the 5200 version of Asteroids. First, I realize it's just a prototype...how many were made? And did it ever get sold in it's retail format? How readily available is it to get or how hard?

This game has eluded me, but I understand why. How many of you own a copy of this, if anyone? Thanks, all. Help me solve my great mystery. :D

Steve

I don't think it got made at all. What survives are a few 'lab loaner' carts made for playtesting and development on site. Prototypes are usually just blank carts with eprom sockets that you could swap out the eproms as you made new builds. I don't remember ever hearing that any 'final production' models were ever made, but I am by no means an expert. That help?

I don't think it got made at all. What survives are a few 'lab loaner' carts made for playtesting and development on site. Prototypes are usually just blank carts with eprom sockets that you could swap out the eproms as you made new builds. I don't remember ever hearing that any 'final production' models were ever made, but I am by no means an expert. That help?

873516[/snapback]

Yes, and thanks. I was most curious about this, as I love the 2600 version (and all it's faults), but wanted a version for my 5200 (when I get it). Thank you, Lord Thag...

Steve

I'm assuming the prototype is virtually unattainable, therefore, what is a good Asteroids-like game I could/should get for the system?

Steve

873548[/snapback]

The only Asteroids type game for the 5200 is Meteorites. Unfortunately it's pretty rare, and it's not all that great.

You can see some information on 5200 Asteroids here: http://www.atariprotos.com/5200/software/a...s/asteroids.htm

Tempest

the 5200 version is unplayable with the standard 5200 sticks.

That's not true. It's quite playable once you get a feel for the controls. ;-)

873564[/snapback]

Yes this is true, it's not 'unplayable', it's just 'very difficult' to play with the standard sticks. I suppose if you got used to it, you play it normally but to most people won't ever get used to the controls.

Tempest

the 5200 version is unplayable with the standard 5200 sticks.

That's not true. It's quite playable once you get a feel for the controls. ;-)

873564[/snapback]

Yes this is true, it's not 'unplayable', it's just 'very difficult' to play with the standard sticks. I suppose if you got used to it, you play it normally but to most people won't ever get used to the controls.

Tempest

873568[/snapback]

True, which is why I now use my Masterplay and a Starplex Asteroids controller.

@Tempest--have you ever seen/used the prototype Asteroids controller? I've been interested in learning more about it.

A few quickshot answers -

5200 Asteroids was never produced for the retail market. Never.

Hence, there are no "ultra rare" 5200 Asteroids cartridges floating around as there are 2600 SwordQuest Waterworld, Video Cube, Crazy Climber, etc. No point in searching flea markets, goodwill, or ebay.

A few lab-loaner cartridges are known to exist.

Only one "finished" Asteroids is known to exist, which had a silver production 5200 label and artwork. The original box design was shown in early 5200 catalogues.

5200 Asteroids is nearly identical to the 400/800 version with analog control.

It was the analog control that made the game so difficult to play. This is one of the major reasons it never went to full production.

A special made Asteroids controller was found alongside the original production labeled 5200 Asteroids cartridge. It is a silver box created in-house at Atari as an answer to the analog sitiuation. Controls were nearly identical to what was in the arcade.

5200 Asteroids has been included in nearly every 5200 multicart on the market.

5200 Asteroids was created as a reproduction cartridge and was available for sale here in the AtariAge store for quite some time (at least a year) until the new Atari started tightening down on infringements. The reproduction was well made and complete with label.

hope this helps!

Indeed I do!

This is the 5200 Asteroids controller featured alongside the one existing 5200 Asteroids prototype that features a production label. The controller (i believe) was created in-house at Atari as a proposed solution to the analog situation. It would be a pack-in like Track & Field. Ofcourse this was a breadboard controller and had not reached the stage of developing a clean plastic case to match the 5200's mean looks.

Justin

post-4261-1118698103_thumb.png

Indeed I do!

That's the same image from cyberroach from one of the early CGEs..

Same photo again on Tempest's site. Who owns that cart?

873713[/snapback]

Keita I assume. Unless he just has the controller.

Tempest

Hmmm, I'm still rather disappointed they didn't mass produce Asteroids for the system...well, I suppose one can't have every game out there. Considering the popularity of Missile Command, Pac Man, and other "hot" titles, I was hoping to add that little nitch to my upcoming 5200 system. I will notice the hole there for awhile, methinks. :)

Now...what about someone producing a homebrew of similar intent? I don't mean Meteorites, perhaps something like "Aster-blast" or something like that. Just wishful thinking on my part, but..I'd probably buy a copy!

Steve :twisted:

Well I realize it was not mass produced but there have been plenty of reproduction cartridges floating around, the best of which was offered here on AtariAge for quite some time. Once you get the controls down its a pretty decent game. A homebrew would always be fun but I'd personally rather play the real deal. I'm sure you can pick one up on ebay or in the forums here for a good price. You can play pretty much play the same thing on any Atari 8 -Bit computer too.

And yes, I think the cartridge and controller currently belong to Keita unless they have changed hands in the meantime. I'm prety sure he found it while doing some scavaging at Atari's Lombard warehouse or while at one of the major vendor's but I'm not certain. That would be something for Keita (or whomever the rightful owner of the cartridge is) to explain.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll browse around this site and check for a copy. This is probably a redundant question, but...WHY didn't Atari mass produce this cartridge? And what were the reasons behind this? Does this have something to do with the popularity of the system in general, or the crash of the early 80's??

Steve

IMHO it was the controller issue.

IIRC it was sopposed to be a launch title, and was released early on for the 400/800 computer, so it's not like it was developed late in the 5200's life cycle. Atari just knew it sucked with the 5200 sticks. I guess Atari had some integrity at that point by not releasing a game that would have sold thousands of copies on name alone.

Edited by Lord Helmet

IIRC it was sopposed to be a launch title, and was released early on for the 400/800 computer, so it's not like it was developed late in the 5200's life cycle. Atari just knew it sucked with the 5200 sticks. I guess Atari had some integrity at that point by not releasing a game that would have sold thousands of copies on name alone.

874671[/snapback]

*cough* E.T. *cough* :roll:

Steve

Edited by classicgamingguy

874671[/snapback]

5200 Asteroids was a straight port of the 400/800 version which was done by Todd Frye in 1981. It was very common for 400/800 games to be directly ported to the 5200, usually without any enhancements. This normally wasn't a problem since the hardware was almost exactly the same, but some games had controller issues. My guess is that Atari didn't realize that Asteroids wouldn't take to the 5200 controller when they put it in the lineup, and cancelled it when they figured it out.

Tempest

If they wanted to get creative they should have made a keypad overlay for the 5200 controller that controlled the ship as opposed to the joystick. The keypad could have simulated what was in the arcade. Thrust, hyperspace, left, right and fire.

Sometimes I think Atari just got plain lazy with the 5200 though. Porting over 2-year old titles from the 400/800 with no enhancements what so ever is just resting on their laurels.