IGNORED

Vectrex I, CYBORG: EDITION X

FURY

I, CYBORG: EDITION X

This is a special limited edition of just 10 cartridges.

First come, first served! Available now!

Any purchase made between now and Sunday (11:59 PM-Pacific Standard

Time) will ship out Monday, June 20th. Any purchase made after that

point will ship out within 2 business days.

More info:

http://geovector.tripod.com/_s­gt/m1_1.htm

Thanks,

George

SOLD OUT!!!

Thanks again to all who purchased!

All 10 will ship out today, Monday.

If you missed this special edition,

please watch for one final I, CYBORG

special edition cartridge...The Omega Edition.

To be auctioned off on eBay, early August.

George

I don't get it... how is that one different from the one I already bought?

877584[/snapback]

Hi Chad,

After they sold out, I removed the Edition X info from my site. The above link now will only take you to the page with the original Standard Edition of I, Cyborg (orders kept coming in and had to be refunded).

Edition X features:

Area Selector (cheat)

New cyborg with Mohawk

Collector's Guide

Plus, new packaging, cart label, manual, menu screen, Roman numeraled I to X.

George

I have WOTR and I, Cyborg and they're both great. The concept of multiple limited edition releases, though... I can't see a point other than trying to get more money.

On the other hand, he probably deserves it, given that there's no way he's made enough money to compensate him for the amount of time it takes to develop such a game.

Much ambivalence.

I have WOTR and I, Cyborg and they're both great.  The concept of multiple limited edition releases, though... I can't see a point other than trying to get more money.

On the other hand, he probably deserves it, given that there's no way he's made enough money to compensate him for the amount of time it takes to develop such a game. 

Much ambivalence.

878255[/snapback]

Well there are always people like myself who are willing to pay money for stuff like this. I guess I just don't understand why it would be limited to only ten, when those ten sell out in a couple of days.

-S

Well that's where the ambivalence comes in. I recognize that if he wants to sell a few copies in a hurry to raise some cash, he can do that. It is not a wrong thing to do.

As a Vectrex collector, though, I wonder how many copies of the same game I would need to purchase to avoid holes in my collection.

As I said, ambivalence.

I have WOTR and I, Cyborg and they're both great.

Thanks for the kind words about my 2 Vectrex games! I've also noticed that you've written very cool things about WOTR in various forums. Greatly appreciated!

The concept of multiple limited edition releases, though...I can't see a point other than trying to get more money.

Much ambivalence.

Well that's where the ambivalence comes in.  I recognize that if he wants to sell a few copies in a hurry to raise some cash, he can do that.  It is not a wrong thing to do.

As a Vectrex collector, though, I wonder how many copies of the same game I would need to purchase to avoid holes in my collection.

As I said, ambivalence.

878296[/snapback]

Well, for one thing it's definitely NOT about raising some quick cash. $500 (and much less in profits) won't get me too far in Southern CA :) Actually, making it a larger run (say 25 carts) would probably start to make me look greedy, and that's not what this is about. Besides, there will always be someone that doesn't get one who then becomes ambivalent. I can't help that. The Standard Edition of the game is also a limited run of 250 cartridges. There will be someone that comes along after I sell those out who is mad because I don't have more (it's happened numerous times since I sold out the 100 cartridges of WOTR). It's the nature of collecting. Limited runs make for more collectible products, but they ARE limited runs. The idea of releasing these low # Special Editions is something akin to the Willy Wonka golden wrapper. I think it's fun, like a contest. I guess some will disagree. My Standard Editions are limited #'d editions because people like knowing they're getting a #'d item even if the run is fairly large. You can # them and not set a limit, but I don't like the idea of that for these games. Secondly, I personally like to end each game release, and move on to other projects. Manufacturing the games, instruction manuals, and packaging is very time consuming, considering the fact that I'm programming for the Vectrex at least a couple hours a day on average. Thirdly, there aren't THAT many Vectrex players out there. I know that you can argue one way or the other about these things, but the decisions have to be made by the developer, and I try to balance things out as best as possible.

Coincidentally, Sean Kelly (the distributor of the Vectrex cartridge shells) has once again disappeared from the scene. People have been trying to order cartridge shells for months now from him with zero success. I have a very limited amount of cartridge shells at the moment and simply couldn't (even if I wanted to) have released a larger # of these carts.

I announced Edition X and The Omega Edition in the I, Cyborg FAQ when I released the original version back in September. So they were planned, and they weren't a secret.

Well there are always people like myself who are willing to pay money for stuff like this. I guess I just don't understand why it would be limited to only ten, when those ten sell out in a couple of days.

The problem is that you never really know how these things will go. They sold out very quickly, but I couldn't predict that. Also, they probably sold out that quickly BECAUSE it was limited to just 10 carts. All these things affect the sales. The flipside could have been a 25 cartridge release that stagnated...a nightmare for any game developer.

They all sold out before I even saw this post. Do you have any plans to make more?

The Omega Edition is to be auctioned off on eBay, early August (one cartridge). This will be the final special edition I, Cyborg cartridge.

The Standard Edition of I, Cyborg continues to be available for $30, though if Sean Kelly doesn't produce some cartridge shells soon, I may have to put a temporary stop on production.

George

The Standard Edition of I, Cyborg continues to be available for $30, though if Sean Kelly doesn't produce some cartridge shells soon, I may have to put a temporary stop on production.

878448[/snapback]

Please accept my apologies. Being new to Vectrex collecting I was under the impression that the standard edition was no longer available and that this new limited edition was my only option for aquiring a copy of I,Cyborg. The standard edition is more than adequate to make me happy. I have just placed an order and submitted payment to your paypal address.

-S

Yeah, WOTR is sold out, he's still making I, Cyborg. They're definitely both worth having, keep your eye out for a WOTR, even if you have to pay $50-60 for it.

Thanks for the explanation, George. Keep making new games and I'll keep buying them. I never get tired of WOTR, though admittedly I use a Playstation controller to play it.

Any idea of the chances of someone acquiring the cart mold from Sean Kelley? I know you're not the only Vectrex developer that has been hindered by the lack of new cases being made.

Mark at Vectrexcarts.com is also out of cases. He's now using modified INTV cases instead. It certainly would be nice if Mr. Kelly would relenquish control of the molds to someone who would actually produce cases, but his reputation would suggest that he's not the type who would likely do such a thing.

-S

Edited by Stingray

Please accept my apologies. Being new to Vectrex collecting I was under the impression that the standard edition was no longer available and that this new limited edition was my only option for aquiring a copy of I,Cyborg. The standard edition is more than adequate to make me happy. I have just placed an order and submitted payment to your paypal address.

Thanks very much! I've responded via private email regarding your order.

Yeah, WOTR is sold out, he's still making I, Cyborg. They're definitely both worth having, keep your eye out for a WOTR, even if you have to pay $50-60 for it.

Thanks for the explanation, George. Keep making new games and I'll keep buying them. I never get tired of WOTR, though admittedly I use a Playstation controller to play it.

Any idea of the chances of someone acquiring the cart mold from Sean Kelley? I know you're not the only Vectrex developer that has been hindered by the lack of new cases being made.

It certainly would be nice if Mr. Kelly would relenquish control of the molds to someone who would actually produce cases, but his reputation would suggest that he's not the type who would likely do such a thing.

Thanks Chad. There have been probably 4 or 5 of us awaiting new cases (in bulk). Sean has reportedly emphatically said NO to the idea of relinquishing the mold. They cost about $10,000 to make (though I've found a company that would do it for $8000), and so he most likely hasn't made his money back on it yet. Last night, I received an email from a known Vectrex collector who has been in contact with Sean, and says that the situation will be rectified soon. But, the email had a mysterious nature to it, leaving some things very unclear. Just to make it public, this is how it has worked (and very well) for the last 2 to 3 years...

Sean Kelly sells Mark Shaker 1000 cases. Mark then resells the cases to all of us. They sell for $4 each normally from Mark, but when purchasing in bulk, he passes the wholesale savings on to the game developers. I was in contact via email with Mark less than 24 hours ago, and he's absolutely ready to purchase 1000 cases. All he's waiting for is Sean to respond, or ship the cases. It's really very simple this way. It minimizes the amount of orders that Sean has to fill, and since Mark is super efficient and fast, everybody who orders through him is always very happy. Why the email suggests that a new format is coming makes no sense to me. But, like everybody else, I'll be placing an order even if they'll be delivered by a fleet of pelicans.

George

Thanks very much! I've responded via private email regarding your order.

879258[/snapback]

Thanks, I look forward to recieving it!

-S