IGNORED

Flashback 2.0 shown at OVGE

I got to fool around with the Flashback 2.0 at their table at the Oklahoma Videogame Expo today. and I must say, I'm a little disappointed. Not in the games, which were real 2600 games, or in the joystick, which was perfect, I was disappointed in the choice of games available. For some reason, I could only play 10 games. And they weren't all good games, either. Adventure and Missle Command were okay, but Hangman and Wizard weren't all that fun. I wanted to try out Lunar Lander and Yar's Return, but I couldn't figure out how to access them. I could only select 10 games, no matter which button I pushed or whichever direction I moved the joystick. So, to whoever happens to know..... why were there only 10 games available? Was it a pre-release version, just for the show?

I got to fool around with the Flashback 2.0 at their table at the Oklahoma Videogame Expo today. and I must say, I'm a little disappointed. Not in the games, which were real 2600 games, or in the joystick, which was perfect, I was disappointed in the choice of games available. For some reason, I could only play 10 games. And they weren't all good games, either. Adventure and Missle Command were okay, but Hangman and Wizard weren't all that fun. I wanted to try out Lunar Lander and Yar's Return, but I couldn't figure out how to access them. I could only select 10 games, no matter which button I pushed or whichever direction I moved the joystick. So, to whoever happens to know..... why were there only 10 games available? Was it a pre-release version, just for the show?

876899[/snapback]

Sounds like you were playing one of the units that were on display at E3 last month?! I believe there were 4 systems which each had 10 of the games on each (or something like that). At any rate that's better than what I could play! I would have loved to go to the show and try out the 10 games. Wizard looks interesting and I'll give it a go when the FB 2 is out.

Sounds much like a pre-release demonstration version without all the games in it. I think the same kinda thing was done for the demo units at the E3 show.

What did the menu screen where you picked the games look like?

876917[/snapback]

There is a picture of the unit (and the screen you asked about) in my OVGE pictoral review here: http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=71501

Really sorry to all who were disappointed that only the early E3 Demo units could be there, deadline is quickly approaching, still a lot of work to do, so I had to cancel on coming out to the show and I could not allow the full units at the show on their own.....

Curt

Really sorry to all who were disappointed that only the early E3 Demo units could be there, deadline is quickly approaching, still a lot of work to do, so I had to cancel on coming out to the show and I could not allow the full units at the show on their own....

I was just disappointed that I didn't get a chance to meet you in person. I just picked up the BBS Documentary DVD's and really liked your interview parts! Maybe we can hook up in Dallas in August for a few minutes. :)

Ah yes... the BBS documentary... that was a fun bunch of interviews, the good old BBS days.... (waxing nostalgic now....)

Sure, see you in TX !

Curt

Really sorry to all who were disappointed that only the early E3 Demo units could be there, deadline is quickly approaching, still a lot of work to do, so I had to cancel on coming out to the show and I could not allow the full units at the show on their own....

I was just disappointed that I didn't get a chance to meet you in person. I just picked up the BBS Documentary DVD's and really liked your interview parts! Maybe we can hook up in Dallas in August for a few minutes. :)

877305[/snapback]

Did the joystick feel as heavy as a standard CX40?

876951[/snapback]

I noticed no difference. I played Adventure and Missle Command, both felt completely natural.

877474[/snapback]

Very nice! Thanks for replying :D

How's the audio? One of my BIGGEST gripes with these emulators is that the audio never seems to be perfect. I don't think there's an emulator that runs Pitfall! that has perfect audio except for Stella itself! Apart from Pitfall!, there are always oddities in the audio which annoy me with other games. I realize that Pitfall! won't be in this unit, but if they can get these games emulated 100% (not 99.9%), then I'll get one.

Mike

if they can get these games emulated 100% (not 99.9%), then I'll get one.

:idea: There is no emulation involved. FB2 is using real hardware.

879478[/snapback]

I did not know that! Definitely a sale for me! Thanks.

EDIT: Pitfall made it?! WOW! Serious kudos to the team that put this thing together! I'm sorry, I've been busy and I've been away from the Atari scene for a little while.

Mike

Edited by Starman

How's the audio? One of my BIGGEST gripes with these emulators is that the audio never seems to be perfect. I don't think there's an emulator that runs Pitfall! that has perfect audio except for Stella itself! Apart from Pitfall!, there are always oddities in the audio which annoy me with other games. I realize that Pitfall! won't be in this unit, but if they can get these games emulated 100% (not 99.9%), then I'll get one.

Mike

879472[/snapback]

As already stated, it'n not emulation, it's real hardware. Unless I'm dreaming or something, I'm pretty sure that I saw Pitfall on the game list.

-S