IGNORED

1200XL OS Upgrade

Guitarman

Can anyone point me in the right direction for installing a 600XL/800XL OS in my 1200XL?? I saw one in Bob Woolley's PBI Bus upgrade but wasn't sure if that one would work OK without adding the PBI. I have a 600XL for parts and want to use the OS chips in it to make the 1200XL compatable. I'm going to do the Basic addon also.

Thanks!!!!

I've heard of such an upgrade, but haven't ever bothered to look into it myself yet, becuase quite frankly, I haven't had an incompatibility issues with my 1200XL yet, and I've been using it with hundreds of programs for over a year now. Exactly WHAT software is supposed to be incompatible with the 1200XL OS?!? At some point in the near future, I'm planning on doing the Warp+ OS upgrade to my 1200Xl that has an 800 compatible OS, and XL/XE compatible, and the Warp OS, etc. which should take care of any problems, but I haven't encountered any yet anyway. :?

Edited by Gunstar

Try www.atarimax.com - the 32 in 1 OS upgrade is awesome, I have one in my 1200XL - it makes it every Atari 8bit u can imagine or need (well I keep a PAL 130XE with a RAM upgrade for the cool/weird Polish demos).

And unlike the stock 1200XL it is now 100% compatible with every program for the 8bit without a translator disc or cart!

sTeVE

Try www.atarimax.com - the 32 in 1 OS upgrade is awesome, I have one in my 1200XL - it makes it every Atari 8bit u can imagine or need (well I keep a PAL 130XE with a RAM upgrade for the cool/weird Polish demos).

And unlike the stock 1200XL it is now 100% compatible with every program for the 8bit without a translator disc or cart!

sTeVE

879375[/snapback]

That is the warp+ upgrade I was refering too, or at least the next generation of it. But I'm still curious as to what programs (besides 800 ones that are incompatible with all XL/XE systems) are incompatible with the 1200xl, so far, other than other advantages ( advantages to ANY 8-bit) of the Warp/32in1 upgrade, I see no reason to worry about "upgrading" the 1200xl OS! Please, what is incompatible?!? I have found nothing thus far and I use a LOT of different games/programs on it.

I can also recommend the 32-in-1 OS upgrade. I have one in my 130XE and it's great. When I am done modding this machine, I have a PAL 130XE on the way which will get a memory upgrade, stereo pokey, and most likely the 32-in-1. Then it's on to the 1200XL. That one will most likely get an internal hard drive. I'm going mod crazy since doing some great XBox mods.

Stephen Anderson

Ok, I know about the Warp+ OS upgrade and the several different OS options it has, but what exactly is in the 32-in-1?!? What "32" OS's are ther? I mean, there weren't even close to 32 different OS's for the 8-bits, so what are all of thes 32 things that are supposed to be in it? I was trying to find out on the A.P.E hompage, but I couldn't seem to find anything more than a mention of the 32-in-1. Or, maybe it was a different page than A.P.E that I first saw it, I don't remember now. Can someone give a link to it and info for it? Ok, it's the Atarimax website, confusing since both sites have Atarimax stuff...wait, that IS the same site...so why am I now not seeing anything for the 32-in-1?

All right, never mind, I FINALLY found out what's actually on it. It's hidden away under the actual installation instructions for the various computers! Which is kind of dumb, I probably would have already gotten one if I had known what exactly was included, but since it mentions NOTHING unless you go into the installation instructions I didn't know. They would probably sell more if they didn't make it so hard to find the info.

Edited by Gunstar

'cos it supports up to 32 different OS's?

...look at the screenshot at  the bottom of this page: http://www.atarimax.com/warpos/install_gui...stall1200xl.php

sTeVE

881176[/snapback]

Uhh, yeah, I'd already edited my post concerning this...guess we were editing/replying at the same time...

I just put an internal Compact Flash 512MB in a 1200xl that atarimax stuck an internal MyIDE into. Works great. Also have his 32-in-1 as well, it is superb.

880879[/snapback]

Sounds like an amazing setup. I'll definitely be making another order to Steve in the near future. It's great to still be using the computer I grew up with alongside the newest Athlon XP. Really makes you appreciate how far the technology has advanced (and also how far ahead of their time the Atari's were).

Stephen Anderson

I just put an internal Compact Flash 512MB in a 1200xl that atarimax stuck an internal MyIDE into. Works great. Also have his 32-in-1 as well, it is superb.

880879[/snapback]

Sounds like an amazing setup. I'll definitely be making another order to Steve in the near future. It's great to still be using the computer I grew up with alongside the newest Athlon XP. Really makes you appreciate how far the technology has advanced (and also how far ahead of their time the Atari's were).

Stephen Anderson

881386[/snapback]

Sorry for making it so difficult to find, I really need to sit down one of these days and update all my web pages at once.

For now you can find the a PayPal enabled order form for the 32-in-1 module at:

http://www.atarimax.com/freeshippingsale/

Steve

Sorry for making it so difficult to find, I really need to sit down one of these days and update all my web pages at once.

For now you can find the a PayPal enabled order form for the 32-in-1 module at:

http://www.atarimax.com/freeshippingsale/

Steve

881944[/snapback]

I have two of the 32-in-1 mods, one in my 1200XL and one in my 130XE - and they are awesome. One of Steve's great products, and highly recommended :)

Everything you would want to know about the 1200XL...

Look at the bottom of the page for links to various mods and upgrades.

Atarimuseum.com - 1200XL Section

Curt

Can anyone point me in the right direction for installing a 600XL/800XL OS in my 1200XL?? I saw one in Bob Woolley's PBI Bus upgrade but wasn't sure if that one would work OK without adding the PBI.  I have a 600XL for parts and want to use the OS chips in it to make the 1200XL compatable. I'm going to do the Basic addon also.

Thanks!!!!

879169[/snapback]

Everything you would want to know about the 1200XL...

Look at the bottom of the page for links to various mods and upgrades.

Atarimuseum.com - 1200XL Section

Curt

883133[/snapback]

Curt,

That is where I got the upgrade idea. The one upgrade states using the OS roms from a 400/800. The other, which is really a PBI interface upgrade, states using the OS out of a 600/800XL and also adding the internal basic.

I was just wondering if the OS/Basic upgrade part of the PBI instructions would still work, without adding the PBI. I assume it would since there should be no OS calls to the PBI unless there was one there and something attached to it. Any ideas??

Also, Iwas looking at the 32in1 OS upgrade and will probably go with that on one of my Ataris but not sure which one yet. (Steve, still willing to help with the website!! ;) )

1200/1200xl os

is there any differences between these os's  and the later xl's (600/800 only.. not the 14xx ones)

887611[/snapback]

Yes. It is one of the reasons that the 1200XL didn't last very long. The 600XL/800XL were pushed out with a tweaked OS because of the incompatabilities between the 400/800 and the 1200XL, if I'm not mistaken.

Ah.. I see, But did the 1200 have the old 4/800 bank switch (d800 if mem. serves me right) or the xl/xe bank switch at d301, and were the 1200 o/s changes purely cosmetic (compared to the other xl's) or were the other xl o/s's changed wholesale

888269[/snapback]

The 1200XL has the same memory arrangement as the other 64k XL/XE computers, with the extra port-b bits unused and 16k of memory 'under' the OS.

Steve