IGNORED

This is a genuine PAL 'Heavy Sixer'

Pipster

Haven't read through this whole thread. So how much does a "heavy sixer" usually sell for? I mean just a working sytem w/o any joysticks or AC adapter. I may have found one that I can buy.

If you are in the Uk and it is a genuine PAL unit, and not an ntsc one that has had the innards replaced - check what the serial number sticker says as all the confirmed PAL units have numbers very close and there is no 'fcc' declaration which there is on the ntsc units - then i beleive they go for something in the region of £200, i know pipster has sold one for just over this.

post-14051-1185264932_thumb.jpg

Here is my PAL Heavy sixer, bought from a friend a while back who was the original owner. I used to play on this very machine at his house when I was a kid!

post-14051-1185264970_thumb.jpg

It still works perfectly too, wish I had looked after my stuff as well as he did!

post-14051-1185265018_thumb.jpg

post-14051-1185265069_thumb.jpg

post-14051-1185265089_thumb.jpg

I had no idea this was a rare model until I found this forum, out of curiosity, what would you say it's value is?

Best regards,

Chris

post-14051-1185265044_thumb.jpg

Always nice to see another one, particularly in as good condition as that!

Does it have the 'Cherry Leisure' stickers and boxes inside? Also, it seems the box is different as it doesnt appear to have the chess-peice on it...

If you were to put it up for sale here in the marketplace then there are a few people who would be willing to fight over it...

Haven't read through this whole thread. So how much does a "heavy sixer" usually sell for? I mean just a working sytem w/o any joysticks or AC adapter. I may have found one that I can buy.

If you are in the Uk and it is a genuine PAL unit, and not an ntsc one that has had the innards replaced - check what the serial number sticker says as all the confirmed PAL units have numbers very close and there is no 'fcc' declaration which there is on the ntsc units - then i beleive they go for something in the region of £200, i know pipster has sold one for just over this.

I'm in the USA, so I'd like to know how much an NTSC heavy sixer usually sells for loose.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought an heavy sixer from UK and I think it's an original PAL unit.

Unfortunately there's not the serial sticker under the case to confirm this. :(

The unit was untested and without power supply and came with 2 sets of paddles and 1 driving controller (this one is the Atari logo version). It was sold simply as "woodgrain console".

inside:

th_P8160021.jpg

main board (CO12283 rev 1 © 1978):

th_P8160011.jpg th_P8160008.jpg

switch board (CO12173 rev 1 © 1977):

th_P8160002.jpg th_P8160004.jpg

It's a PAL-I unit (for UK market), it doesn't have the channel select switch (AFAIK all UK units only use channel 36 and are not adjustable) and has an rca connector for the switchbox instead of the antenna connector later used by atari for the european market.

I disassembled the unit and cleaned all the parts. The fake woodgrain was really worn out, so I swapped the upper part of the case with a non working light sixer. I kept the original switch bezel, though, because is a little different from my light sixer: the holes for the switches are a bit smaller and the borders around them are rounded and not flat.

th_P8160018.jpg th_P8160016.jpg

Finally I installed the cable from the broken light sixer, which has the correct plug for my tv and I tuned the inductor for the audio circuit (this is necessary to use this console with a PAL-B/G Tv set, which is the standard here in Italy). It works perfectly.

th_palh6er.jpg

:)