IGNORED

Best POKEY Music & SFX - Vote now!

Foebane

The sound in "Fractalus" is well-integrated into the game and seems carefully crafted. Was good sound a priority for the development team?

Being a part of the same company that produced  Star Wars, we were very aware of the importance sound played in an experience and Charlie spent a lot of time getting the sound effects right. This was also one of the first games that used sound for things that happened off-screen. An important part of the game was listening carefully for the pilot's knock on the airlock door and, if you inadvertently let a Jaggi into the ship, you'd hear him tearing it apart behind you. The effect was so good that I heard people swear that their favorite part was when the Jaggi would grab you from behind--even though this never happened!

nothing more to add....

884093[/snapback]

Heaven, Fractalus was one of my favourite games back in the 80s, but because now I've forgotten the keys used, I can't really enjoy it as I used to. That, and the emulator didn't seem to recognise the obvious keypresses either.

Yes, sound was GREAT in that game. I remember being scared when the Jaggi popped up in front of your viewshield and then punched it in! Made a right fool of myself in others about that - ahem.

If i can ever find it i will post some tunes by Richard Munns that never made it in to any games. They never even got coded up they are still in fast basic if my memories serves me right after all these years. Not sure if i still have them but will take a good look when i get my Atria set up again next time.

foebane... +/-, e engines on/off... o open door, m mothership, r change range of radar? am i right?

i felt off my seat when 1st jaggi broke my front... ;)

btw...i have a gif animation of a jaggie knocking on window as background on my samsung sgh-500 cell phone... ;)

Well, I played Fractalus earlier, and found these keys to be the ones:

A - Airlock

S - Systems on/off

L - Land

Shift-6 - Take-off

This is on Atari800Win, mind!

EDIT:

Why do you think I wouldn't believe you concerning your mobile? If you say you've got a Jaggi bashing on your spacecraft windshield as a piccie on your phone, then I believe you!

I too got a Jaggi pounding on my windshield as well! It took a long time to happen, but it did!

Edited by Foebane

For me there are some brillant tunes, but I mostly adore title tune (main screen) from "BLACK LAMP" game (Richard Munns again!)     :cool:

884197[/snapback]

IIRC, I may be thinking of a different game though, that is a real classical song called "Greene Sleeves." It's also know by another name or two, as different words were also put to the song including an old-time bar tune and a church hymn. I, embarassingly, don't recall the original composer's name at this time, though I should. :sad:

Edited by Gunstar

LOL you will not recall it.

Greensleeves is a traditional English ballad written by an unknown composer. There is a legend that King Henry VIII wrote Greensleeves about Anne Boleyn. This is not likely, however, because the song is written in a style which was not known in England until after Henry VIII died.

see link also has tune as an mp3

http://www.heavenlyharpist.com/mp3/greensleeves.htm

Edited by Plastron

Greensleeves is a traditional English ballad written by an unknown composer. There is a legend that King Henry VIII wrote Greensleeves about Anne Boleyn. This is not likely, however, because the song is written in a style which was not known in England until after Henry VIII died.

884833[/snapback]

Lol that's cool :cool:

Richard Munns made a good interpretation.

884833[/snapback]

Hm.... I'm not lucky with the information of that site, because "greensleeves" is even known as an irish ballad, and, dropping all knowledge and listening freely to the song, it reminds some irish folk-style or some irish style at least.

BTW: My phone (not the mobile) plays "Greensleeves" when it rings :ponder:

Another nice version at R.K.O. : http://remix.kwed.org/index.php?search=greensleeves

Edited by emkay

, I may be thinking of a different game though, that is a real classical song called "Greene Sleeves."

Hey, the tile music from BLACK LAMP game has nothing to do with that "Greensleves" motive (that's ingame music instead!). It sounds powerful and majestic - could be listen without end! :)

----------------

PLASTRON - it's superb you can bring some Richard's musics, but could you prepare ready-made SAPs from them (so that they can be played through Winamp or XM-PLAY with sap-plugin) ???? :roll:

I was always a big fan of the intro to MULE.

And alley cat, what a wacked out game. I remember being totally amazed at the sound effects and zanyness of that game.

ZylonBane - quick to criticize, slow to apologize or admit being incorrect. :roll:

Nuff said!

Edited by Shannon

I add some options more not shown before:

Best music game:

Archon

Montezume Revenge's (very clean)

Spy vs Spy

Amaurote

Alternate Reality (intro and dead music)

Best effects game:

Road race

Final Legacy

Amaurote

Best music demo (Stereo): Forsaken Love

Best music demo (Mono): Bukkake

Edited by Allas

I know that this is slightly off topic, but does the music for Ballblazer/Ballblaster sound like the baseline for Michael Jackson's "Billy Jean"? Someone here at work was testing some audio equipment with Mr.Jackson's music, and all I could here through the wall was the base.... I thought someone was playing Ballblaster back there. :D

Anyway, enough of my misguided ramblings...

-C