IGNORED

The Atari 2600 and drugs

Atarinvader

Atari's Sunnyvale permises were apparently run by 'dope smoking hippies', and to be honest a lot of games were a bit wacky.

A lot of books have long been associated with drug abuse; Alice in Wonderland for example, but why not videogames when it seems glaringly obvious?

Just take a look at these games:

-Millipede (mushrooms everywhere)

-Pac-Man (the dude is eating frickin' pills!)

-Joust (WTF is this all about?!???!!)

With a lot of the other storys I've heard about what went on at Atari, I wouldn't doubt that they were having a little more than just a smoke 'now and then'...

I always felt Cheech and Chong should of had a 2600 game. I attempted a hack of one, but it just never worked out. I turned the Snow (Cocaine?) Speeder in Empire Strikes Back into a Lowrider and the walkers into wierd waiter looking dudes... It wasnt very good... But anyway, Cheech & Chong rule, peace out.

If you ever read the book "The Ultimate History of Videogames" by Steven L. Kent, you will find that some of the warehouses that Atari used were actually converted roller rinks.

Some of them had a very strong smell because of the amount of drugs that were previously used when it was a roller rink. No doubt that it must have been an experience to work in that building.

The early Atari also used to have "Friday night beer busts" on the loading dock and employees got to play free games. Once Warner Communications bought Atari, that all changed.

Apple Computer started out in much the same way where hippie philosophies and heavy drug use were, sadly, the norm.

Steve Jobs and Wozniak worked at Atari before starting Apple and Jobs especially was known for his heavy drug use. No doubt their experiences at Atari carried over to Apple's earliest days.

Have you seen Crystal Castles? Little bears, dancing trees and witches/honeypots.

I know Tempest was inspired by a dream, but that is sorta sick, too.

I have an ad from For-Play (play on words, more like it) from 76 for a Pong clone. Dudes look ripped in the photo. They are sitting in piles (I mean like up to their chests in quarters. Big gold rings and super-fly haircuts.

These early guys rule. Bushnell was no different. Can you imagine the parties at his place? Nolan, you were, are, and always will be, an American Icon.

Cassidy

E.T. flopped because it had an unrealistic schedule. They wanted it out by Christmas and this only allowed the programmer (Howard Scott Warshaw) about 5 weeks to complete it. Given that unrealistic schedule, it is no wonder that E.T. was a bad game.

Remember that Mr. Warshaw had programmed Yars Revenge and that is a great Atari game so it was certainly not for lack of talent that E.T. was bad.

quote:

Originally posted by AtariDude:

it is no wonder that E.T. was a bad game.

I've always enjoyed E.T., from my childhood when it was new right on to today. For me the wonder is why nearly everyone who's played it not only insists that it is a bad game but seems to think it is intrinsically bad to the point of a contrary opinion being unthinkable.

While we're on the subject: are those little “pills” E.T. keeps popping really Reese's Pieces?