IGNORED

Radica Space Invaders > 7800 joystick

remowilliams

Also, I broke one of my resistors on the Proline donor, so I ran over to RadioShack. They had the 680 Ohm 1/2 watt resistors for $.99 for 5, I think. Anyhow, they seem to work fine, although they're easily twice the size of the Proline resistor.

How many cell phones did you have to buy to get out of there? :lol:

Did you get the 5 year protection plan on them for $59.95? It's a great deal!

Edited by remowilliams

• 3 weeks later...
Radio Shack: You've got questions, We've got cellphones.

Radio Shack: You've got questions, we've got blank stares!

:D :rolling:

Well to be honest, I am very good friends with one person that used to work at radio shack... she actually knew the difference between different solders.

*shrugs* but yeah, 99% of the places, that's right :)

I'll be making one of these this weekend but I have a dopey question for the experts. Is there anything special I need to do when I solder the wires to the resistors? I'm using an old Genny cable so I don't have the 7800 cord with resisiors already on it. Is it litterally just soldering the resistors inline with the wires or is there something else I need to do? I've always seen resistors on a board not inline, that's why I ask. Thanks.

I'll be making one of these this weekend but I have a dopey question for the experts. Is there anything special I need to do when I solder the wires to the resistors? I'm using an old Genny cable so I don't have the 7800 cord with resisiors already on it. Is it litterally just soldering the resistors inline with the wires or is there something else I need to do? I've always seen resistors on a board not inline, that's why I ask. Thanks.
Nope, just solder the wires directly to the resistor leads. The direction doesn't matter for resistors, either, so the left and right leads are interchangeable.

Nope, just solder the wires directly to the resistor leads. The direction doesn't matter for resistors, either, so the left and right leads are interchangeable.

Cool, thanks :)

Oh... you know... I wanted to mention...

Gamestop is also closing out on their Outrun 2000 plug and play and Spongebob Squarepants plug and play for the same price, $4.95...

For a brief moment I considered buying up the Spongebob sticks... they're a Jakks microswitch stick just like the Ms. Pac Man, I think they're two button, and so they should be just as easy to do the 7800 mod on. But, having the staring face of Spongebob looking up at me while I grab onto his phallus shaped nose that serves as the stick was just too much of a mental image for me to accept, so I passed.

But, other than that, it should work fine as a suitable replacement for the Radica stick, at the right price, if you can't find anything else.

The Outrun "stick" is this psudeo-wheel thing... MadKatz makes the same basic thing as a wheel controller for the XBox. You push up and down on a curved handle on one side for left and right "steering" while holding the other curved side stationary. Forward and Back are mapped to buttons (for gas and brake). Only practical for driving games, but it might make an interesting driving controller for the 7800 if you could wire it up, and at $5... not too big of a risk.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=322228

Oh yeah, the Fantastic 4 stick, which is also ugly as sin... is also $4.99.

Edited by Paranoid

Jay, I just found two in two different local stores and snapped them up. Did you do a search by radius at the Gamestop site to see if any local stores had any left in stock?
Unfortunately I'm in rural Alabama, and nobody within about 40 miles of me carries them. But, since Gamestop has them in stock again (thanks for the link Atariboy!), I'll pick up a few more units even though I haven't gotten any joystick orders for a while. Always pays to be prepared!

Unfortunately I'm in rural Alabama, and nobody within about 40 miles of me carries them. But, since Gamestop has them in stock again (thanks for the link Atariboy!), I'll pick up a few more units even though I haven't gotten any joystick orders for a while. Always pays to be prepared!

I think its cause alot of people are making them on there own now. You still came up with the idea so you can be proud of that for sure that others are making a controller scheme you came up with. :)

I think its cause alot of people are making them on there own now. You still came up with the idea so you can be proud of that for sure that others are making a controller scheme you came up with. :)
Well, I can't take full credit for it because remowilliams came up with the idea first; I just made it a little simpler and documented the procedure so others could do it for themselves. I don't mind not getting more requests (it wasn't like it was a big money-maker for me), but I am concerned about having a place to get more in case someone does ask me. Plus, I'd like to make one or two more sets for myself. :)

You know, I've never even TRIED the games... the first one, I came home, ripped open the package, and immediately tore the guts out and started the conversion...

I hadn't even considered that I should maybe try the actual game. Heh. Maybe I'll do that with one of these before I convert it.