IGNORED

Radica Space Invaders > 7800 joystick

remowilliams

I found another one of these at GameStop and bought it. My first conversion is going slowly, those sega controller wires are frustrating to work with. Just trying to strip the ends causes the wire to break. Very annoying. I need to get some better wire before I'll be doing another one of these things.

I found that out with my 7800 Joypad I put together from a Sega pad. The wires are not meant to be reused.

Burn off the plastic or use a raxor blade and cut it down the centre vertically and roll it back.

Edited by Shawn Sr.

• 5 months later...

I have. Exactly the same principle. You can use everything here basically verbatim.

And it makes a lousy 7800 stick, too. Many of the control issues with the Jakks stick are actually due to the stick mechanisim itself, and not the I/O controller on the logic board.

I have. Exactly the same principle. You can use everything here basically verbatim.

And it makes a lousy 7800 stick, too. Many of the control issues with the Jakks stick are actually due to the stick mechanisim itself, and not the I/O controller on the logic board.

Thanks, I went back and read the thread properly!

Think I will give it a go anyway.

If you can find an RSI stick cheap, it is a much better solution. The only additional advice I can suggest is to find one of the Jakks sticks that works WELL as a Ms. Pac Man stick, as far as responding to directional inputs. If it works decent as a Ms. Pac Man stick, it should work well as a 7800 stick. If it bites as a Ms. Pac Man stick, my guess is that it is going to be so frustrating as a 7800 stick that you and other people will NOT enjoy using it.

I'd rather use a Proline than my Jakk's Ms. Pac Man conversion. False and missed directional inputs make it maddeningly frusrtrating to play ANY game, 2600 or 7800. It is a shame too, because with two buttons and a form-factor similar to the original 2600 joystick, it would seem to be a PERFECT candidate for conversion.

It is also worth noting that OTHER Jakks sticks do not necessarily use microswitches that lend themselves to this project. Most notably, the Atari 2600 PnP joystick uses carbon dots on a circuit board. So it isn't safe to assume that ANY Jakks stick can be converted using these schematics. But, if a Jakks stick DOES use the microswitches, it should be easy to convert using the schematics here.

Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Since the RSI sticks have dried up, I was thinking about converting a Wico (bat handle) command control stick over to 7800 two-button. I think the buttons are well placed on it for this purpose, you'd just have to get accustomed to using your right thumb for the second button.

About a week ago I converted a TAC-2 into a two-button controller for another user on the board. His dog chewed the original cord up and he wanted to make it two button if possible. So he sent it to me along with a worn out CX-24 and violla, I did it, but the buttons IMO are a litte too far apart. Still just as useful for playing single button games tho.

Hopefully some more quality PNP's, like the RSI, will end up on clearance soon. All the new ones now tho seem like junk.

Since the RSI sticks have dried up, I was thinking about converting a Wico (bat handle) command control stick over to 7800 two-button. I think the buttons are well placed on it for this purpose, you'd just have to get accustomed to using your right thumb for the second button.

About a week ago I converted a TAC-2 into a two-button controller for another user on the board. His dog chewed the original cord up and he wanted to make it two button if possible. So he sent it to me along with a worn out CX-24 and violla, I did it, but the buttons IMO are a litte too far apart. Still just as useful for playing single button games tho.

Hopefully some more quality PNP's, like the RSI, will end up on clearance soon. All the new ones now tho seem like junk.

I have bought 2 RSI sticks on e-bay last week, $0.99 each.

Brand new in box!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Well, miracles of miracles, I actually found one of these at Big Lots today. It was marked $12.99 but I had a 20% off coupon, so I got it for $10.39. Not great, but it's the only one I've ever seen locally. Now to read up and do the mod!
Well, I know it's kinda late to the party on this, but I just got one of jaybird3rd's sticks from purenergy (great seller by the way) today and it's awesome! My Dig Dug scores have improved greatly with the great firebutton action. Nice job! :)

I'll have to crack it open so I can figure out how to convert the other two RSI sticks I have (I'd just found another one at a thrift store for $5.) :D

Edited by SRGilbert

• 3 weeks later...
I would want one

Can a Master System Pad work with a 7800 Mod

I don't see why it can't, but I'd be concerned about chopping up a Master System gamepad when they're tough to find in some parts. Although if you made an adapter that goes between the pad and the system, I wouldn't freak out quite so much. :P

I would want one

Can a Master System Pad work with a 7800 Mod

I don't see why it can't, but I'd be concerned about chopping up a Master System gamepad when they're tough to find in some parts. Although if you made an adapter that goes between the pad and the system, I wouldn't freak out quite so much. :P

Good point, better to use a Genesis controller, much more common, especially if you consider 3rd party controllers.