IGNORED

Nintendo's Vitrual Boy...What does everyone think?

Nice system, one of my favorites.

I'm still missing 10 titles: Jack Bros (US), 3D Tetris (US), Baseball (US), Nester Bowling (US), Waterworld (US)

Space Squash (J), Virtual Lab (J), Virtual Bowling (J), Space Invaders (J), Super Gundam (J)

Of course, those Japanese titles are a bummer to get (Often on ebay, but the price!!!!).

Shame that Nintendo didn't see it fit to release the VB in Europe, but then, Nintendo never cared (never cares) about Europe

Edited by thomasholzer

...beat a dead horse much...

;) :)

I don't believe in beating anything, unless I can do it excessively :P You ought to hear some of my Game.com rants, but that's for another topic.

I remember there was supposed to be a FPS comeing out for the virtual boy too, like Doom or Golden Eye or something. Had that game come out, Nintendo might have had their Killer App for the system, and who knows where it would have went? Probably still died, but it would have gone out with a bang.

I hear there's a homebrew scene for the Virtual boy even, though I/ve never even tried a cart for the 2600, to heck with something as complicated as VB.

...beat a dead horse much...

;) :)

I don't believe in beating anything, unless I can do it excessively :P You ought to hear some of my Game.com rants, but that's for another topic.

I remember there was supposed to be a FPS comeing out for the virtual boy too, like Doom or Golden Eye or something. Had that game come out, Nintendo might have had their Killer App for the system, and who knows where it would have went? Probably still died, but it would have gone out with a bang.

I hear there's a homebrew scene for the Virtual boy even, though I/ve never even tried a cart for the 2600, to heck with something as complicated as VB.

You can find tons of info about unreleased games in the website http://virtual-boy.org that I mentioned earlier in this thread. Its such a great site, supposedly Mario Kart was even on the way! GoldenEye was just going to be the Gameboy version basically. Yes there are some coders out there but mainly just for little VB Pong demos and other tech demos. Theres a pretty nice emulator out there too.

I had already been collecting for a few years when this system went in the toilet, so I ended up with a complete US retail collection, including two shrinkwrapped Waterworlds and a Blockbuster demo unit. Many of my games were bought from the clearance bins at Blockbuster Video, including at least half a dozen Mario Tennis boxes. But I didn't really play it much, other than a couple games of Red Alarm.

And a few months later, EB Games got a dump of games from Japan, so I ended up with eight of the more common Japanese titles complete as well: Galactic Pinball, Jack Bros, Red Alarm, T&E Virtual Golf, Tobidase Panibon, Vertical Force, Virtual Pro Baseball, and V-Tetris.

Maybe Nintendo can come out with a shutter-stereo adapter for the Wii (like the Sega Master System glasses) to play VBoy games in emulation? Yeah, right.

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

Maybe Nintendo can come out with a shutter-stereo adapter for the Wii (like the Sega Master System glasses) to play VBoy games in emulation? Yeah, right.

That'd be awesome.

It'd be good for the Wii, too. 3D graphics hardware + 2D display = suckage.

• 12 years later...

I know this is an old thread but, does anyone have one of these and still use them ? I've always wanted one, it's a small collection of games, it's a interesting system from the old Nintendo days.

I dont know a ton about them but, was looking for some modern day thoughts on it. I picked one up for a fair price, that is just the device and the controller. No battery or power cord or stand. Anyone know if I can stlll use it as i understand it uses a SNES powercord (I have 2-3 SNES systems). It came with 1 game (Tennis), so it's a test cart for me. Waiting for it to come in.

Can it be used with just a SNES powercord for power ?

Yes, it can be used with a SNES power cord. I'd use mine every day, if it hadn't broken. Need to get it fixed, but it's just not a priority in the grand scheme of life...

The one I grabbed was "untested" as he had no power cord.. maybe I'll get lucky. When I get it, I'll use a SNES power cord, give it power and see if she works. I know a stand could be had for around $30 but, batteries tend to be crazy expensive ($75+) or even battery packs for AA...still around $45..

I know it's said to give a headache but, I've never used one and kind of always wanted one... Just wish there was some reasonable parts...

I have one in pretty good condition. I play it occasionally on my back for extra comfort. I even got the flash cart for it, but haven't tried the homebrew yet.

It's an interrsting machine, but most games are clearly not taking advantage of the 3D which is a shame. I can see why big N would rather forget the whole thing existed...

Edited by Newsdee

Still occasionally play mine. One of the imo best wario games is on it. Mario tennis is great, but I spend a lot of time on pinball.

Properly adjusted, it doesn't cause me headaches, even with my modern day deteriorating eyesight.

I'd probably play more if I had games. No idea what the homebrew scene is like on the thing.

??what is with Nintendo's aversion to fps on 3d? 3ds is successful, and it has not one either??

• Like 1

Still occasionally play mine. One of the imo best wario games is on it. Mario tennis is great, but I spend a lot of time on pinball.

Properly adjusted, it doesn't cause me headaches, even with my modern day deteriorating eyesight.

I'd probably play more if I had games. No idea what the homebrew scene is like on the thing.

??what is with Nintendo's aversion to fps on 3d? 3ds is successful, and it has not one either??

https://www.planetvb.com/modules/games/

See for yourself what you can add wit that kit. Finished unreleased prototype games. Big time homebrew like that Street Fighter II conversion under another name, and quite a few others. I think the library kind of effectively doubles as it stands now with lots of choices. I know offhand that Bound High, Dragon Hopper and Faceball games got released that never made it to market, should be more. There's a lot of homebrew, but quality is depending on taste for much of it I would think.

I really want one of these things again (kit too required due to expanded library and JP exclusives with insane pricing.) But with the common eye piece fail I can't hope to fix, I'd hope to find someone who had one already done or could do it. I used to put good time on it each time I had one, but I'd run out of games, then interest, then sold it.

I don't recall there being a battery pack. It's either six AAs or the SNES cord with the adaptor.

You DID get the adaptor, right?

Nope, device and joystick, nothing else. The eye piece looks in fair shape.

There is that thing that hooks on the controller. That's where you either put the 6 AAs or the SNES power cord in. It's needed if you want to turn it on.

Oh crap, It's looking that I wont even know if this works for a while. Anyone one know of a source to get this piece for cheap ($20 or under), or it's going to sit for a while ? :(

Looking at the PINs on the bottom of the controller, it's only 2, so there will be a + and - I just need to figure out what is what and I can do a temp connection to see if she lights up, to see if it's worth investing in the other parts to complete it. I might have to do this.

A little duct tape and some stronger wire (I could sodder it but, only want a temp connection), I should be able to set it up so I can at least test it...

Edited by TheCoolDave

I know this is an old thread but, does anyone have one of these and still use them ? I've always wanted one, it's a small collection of games, it's a interesting system from the old Nintendo days.

I dont know a ton about them but, was looking for some modern day thoughts on it. I picked one up for a fair price, that is just the device and the controller. No battery or power cord or stand. Anyone know if I can stlll use it as i understand it uses a SNES powercord (I have 2-3 SNES systems). It came with 1 game (Tennis), so it's a test cart for me. Waiting for it to come in.

Can it be used with just a SNES powercord for power ?

As it's been said, you can use a SNES adapter, but you have to have the controller adapter as well (the battery bay slides off from the controller, and there's a replacement pack you slide on that has a SNES power cord input).

The Virtual Boy is supremely uncomfortable these days for my aging body. I just can't get comfortable when playing it (back and neck discomfort). If you can get comfortable, then enjoy it--the lineup is small but it is actually quite solid.

• Like 1

The Virtual Boy is supremely uncomfortable these days for my aging body. I just can't get comfortable when playing it (back and neck discomfort). If you can get comfortable, then enjoy it--the lineup is small but it is actually quite solid.

Try playing it laying down on your back. On the bed is a good example. Straight back makes for happy gaming. Just don't fall asleep :)

Try playing it laying down on your back. On the bed is a good example. Straight back makes for happy gaming. Just don't fall asleep :)

Still not comfortable for me and I have to worry about keeping the headset steady. And my cat likes to jump on me and make a bed out of my stomach when I lay down, so it's extra uncomfortable.

Edited by Austin

As it's been said, you can use a SNES adapter, but you have to have the controller adapter as well (the battery bay slides off from the controller, and there's a replacement pack you slide on that has a SNES power cord input).

I'm in my late 40's so I hear ya but, still it's something i have always wanted... I always figure out a way.

I picked up a 2nd one, that was fully complete with 6 games... so I will keep the first one for spare parts. Getting it tomorrow, looking forward to it.