IGNORED

improving video output

rob

Hi all,

I am wondering if there is an easy way to improve the video image of my 2600. I have read a few post about soldering and the such, but the only thing I can seem to solder is blisters on my fingers.

So, I am wondering if there is anything else I can do to clean up the noise that is showing up?

thanks

Rob

Well, without picking up a soldering iron and adding composite video outputs, there are still a couple things you can do. First, get rid of that old RF switch box! Those things leak in RFI like a sieve. Go to Radio Shack and get a coaxial (F-type) to female RCA adapter, Radio Shack part #278-276. Use this instead. Also, is this a Jr. model or something else? The Jr. seems to be much more prone to interference than the other models. If you do have the Jr. model, I'd reccommend getting a better Atari, the Jr. is IMHO the worst model of the 2600 made, as it is cheaply constructed and the switches are terrible. If you want to clear up the image on a Jr., get a shielded RCA cable to connect it up with. The nice thing about the other models of the Atari is that the RCA cable is attached inside the console, and is also of high quality, giving a good picture and also is rarely separated from the console, seeming as though it is attached inside, to remove it, the console must be disassembled. On the Jr, there is simply a port on the back to connect the cable. Most people simply use a cheap audio cable. While this will work, the picture will get fuzzy and pick up interference. You will need to get a shielded cable for this purpose.

Ian Primus

ian_primus@yahoo.com