IGNORED

Game Genie for the 2600!

King Atari

I think Answer only made something like eight Personal Game Programmers. Correct me if I'm wrong (Russ, I'm sure you know) but it never got beyond prototypes and review copies made for videogame magazine reviewers.

I remember reading about it way back when in one of the videogaming magazines, and I wanted it SOOOOOOO bad! The PGP-1 is still my Holy Grail.

You could give yourself infinite lives, change the graphics a bit, do all sorts of stuff....

Bob Colbert (Okie Dokie creator) made something called the Cheetah for the VCS. It utlizes the SuperCharger, and it helped me to finally beat game three on Adventure. I don't know the site off-hand, but you can find the link on AtariAge's links page (under 2600)

It's not exactly a piece of hardware. You can use it right now if you wanted to. What the program does is it takes 2k or 4k games, and puts the cheetah on top of the bin file, making it a supercharger bin. Then, using makewave, you can transform the bin into a wav file, and you can play it through a supercharger. Codes are also on his site.

Hmm, Al's review says 12 were made... I'd heard 3 before.

Definitely one of my holy grails too... I had the Answer letter in hand, just couldn't afford it. That's a time machine moment for me -- I'd gladly send a c-note back to my younger self to have one now.