IGNORED

For everyone who lives in Philly...

minorleagueguy

My wife and 8 year old daughter will be coming with me to this fall to the Philly Classic (videogame expo). My question is this, Since it's a weekend, will anything be open for sightseeing, as it's a holiday weekend?

And can anyone offer some advice on what to see .ie. Liberty Bell etc.?

thanks for any help

minorleagueguy

My wife and 8 year old daughter will be coming with me to this fall  to the Philly Classic (videogame expo). My question is this, Since it's a weekend, will anything be open for sightseeing, as it's a holiday weekend?

And can anyone offer some advice on what to see .ie. Liberty Bell etc.?

thanks for any help

minorleagueguy

888493[/snapback]

Depends on how much time you have and what you want to do :)

Will you be driving? or have access to a car?

Everything should be open - You can do a historic sightseeing - shopping sightseeing - culture sightseeing or a little bit of everything. There are a plethora of brew pubs in the area, as well..

In Philly itself...

I've always loved the ships at Penn's Landing and going to the Art Museum. On Sundays before I believe either 1 or 3PM it's free to get in.

There are a few Science museums like The Franklin Institute that has an IMAX screen as well as planitaruim. There's the Acadamy of Natural Sciences that's got a kid's exibit. When I was an older kid it used to be called "outside in" and had crazy animals.

Of course there's the Liberty Bell Center, Independance Hall, Constitution Center etc for the historical stuff. When I was a kid you could actually touch the Liberty Bell I highly doubt that you can do that now but I am sure they'd have tons of stuff.

Here's one sight I found that seems to cover a ton:

Philadelphia City Guide

While I am not big on shopping there's TONS of big malls as well as the Terminal Market where I just went for the first time that has a lot of interesting things.

I didn't know it was a "holiday weekend" other then around my birthday. ;)

If your daughter has any particular interests, being a "girl" I'll be happy to do my best. Although, I was raised by my dad,lol so I am not very "girly". :P

Thanks for the advice. We will be driving in from Buffalo on Friday, going to our hotel (we are staying right across from the expo itself).

My wife and daughter will be on their own on Sat, as the show is from 10-5., so they will do some historical sightseeing. We are pulling our daughter out of school for this, so in return, she must write an essay about Philly's historical past, and take that to school for her 3rd grade teacher.

My wife isn't very big on shopping, so I get to spend all the money. :D I'm also looking forward to meeting everyone from here, spending money, and taking lots of pics!!

minorleagueguy

Thanks for the advice. We will be driving in from Buffalo on Friday, going to our hotel (we are staying right across from the expo itself).

My wife and daughter will be on their own on Sat, as the show is from 10-5., so they will do some historical sightseeing. We are pulling our daughter out of school for this, so in return, she must write an essay about Philly's historical past, and take that to school for her 3rd grade teacher.

My wife isn't very big on shopping, so I get to spend all the money. :D  I'm also looking forward to meeting everyone  from here, spending money, and taking lots of pics!!

minorleagueguy

888964[/snapback]

Please feel free to msg either me or Z28in82 if you or they need directions to anything or could use advice. I think I've had to do a paper on historical Philly myself through school and postcards make nice photo additions and are fairly cheap. If you need someone to do any legwork, I'll be happy to drag along hubby to help as I enjoy all that historical stuff myself. :P

Can't promise anything but we'll do our best. :)

Thanks for the offer for help, we will keep you in mind as we get closer to the actual date. 2 years ago, we went to Disney in Orlando, and my daughter wrote one page of essays, and drew 1 picture for each day we were there.

We went through AAA for a map and directions, we are renting a mini-van for the 8-9 hour drive. Were leaving around 5am on that Friday, and leave that time on Sunday.

Again, thanks for the help, and as we get near, I'm sure I can get in touch with ya"!!!

minorleagueguy