IGNORED

Pirates or originals?

Foxsolo2000

Rom found this article on classic gaming.com and they mention the game Treasure Island and Space Trip on a 128 in 1 game console. Seems Treasure Island does exist after all but on a multi console. Space Trip also exists as a cartridge in itself for another site has it listed as Data Tech. Still looking for conformation of what game it is though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YEAR 1991

COUNTRY U.S.A.

Model# CX-2600

Codename Bonnie

CPU 6507

SPEED 1.19 MHz

COPROCESSORS N/A

ROM 4K max + 128 Games build in

RAM 128 Bytes, in VLSI

GRAPHIC Modes N/A

COLORS Color

SOUND N/A

I/O Ports/Addons Antenna connector, controller ports

Only found overseas (and as such, it is a PAL version), this model of the 2600JR was surprisingly released in 1991 - a time when the 2600 market had long vanished and Jack Tramiel's Atari Corp. was officially dropping all support for the aged console.

That may be the very answer for the existance of this unique console. Most likely in an effort to liquidate overstock (which Atari Corp. always had) - they created this model.

A closeup of the bank switch.

Besides being packaged with the European 7800 model pad controllers, the first noticable difference in this model is the inclusion of black, 4 position switch in the upper left side of the console, clearly labled "Game Group". The switch is there, because this console comes pre-built with 128 games!

A tactic usually reserved for pirate 2600's, this was officially Atari sanctioned as noted by the Atari manufacturing stamp on the rom chips.

The motherboard

ROM chip closeup

The games within the banks are then switched by using the BW/Color switch, which now serves the purpose of selecting each game image, freeing up the normal game select switch to work it's normal function of selecting game levels and options within the game itself.

While the console itself isn't a pirateit is interesting to note that many of the games use alternative titles for common games, have multiple verions of the same game (six different versions of missle command, multiple versions of Defender including one with a dragon), or are other games not originally widely distributed (Raindbow Vision games). There are of course some of the more well known games, though they span more than just Atari's catalog and include games by Sancho, US games, Video games, Spectrevision, Konami, Homevision, Dimax, Coleco, and more.

Here is a list of the games included:

Bank 1 - enduro, ocean city, assault, fortress defense, seahawk, airborne assault, robot attack, bank heist, keystone kapers, sweet family, base attack, evil attack, missile attack, river raid, river raid 2, space ship, space trip, jaw, laser gate, king kong,wolf fighting, bezerk, challenge, space war, zoo fun elephant foot ball, pac man, sec faw, sky diver, mega force 1, tank city.

Bank 2 - Helicopter war, Mathermatic, flag capture, golf, western wise, rabbit jumping, six funny doll, fishing crab, canon ball 3d tic tac toe, othello, surround, third city, eagle, bolt racers, space castleboxing, free way, tank street, ski run, out law, parachute, basketball, bowling, air and sea battle, tennis, collision ball, cow boy, beach moring, laser blast, silver fox, bass ball.

Bank 3 - Frogger, seaquest, pyramid war, saturn 5, turmoil, tank, pin ball, lunar ball, pit ball, car racing, air raiders, dragon treasure, warm war 1, theik, racket ball, locate and chase, frogs n flies, gun man, piggy, boom bang, ufo patrol, gopher, Normandy landing, carnival 2, dragon defender, ice pack, command 2, motor cross, smce invaders, superman, fast food, missile command.

Bank 3 - amoeba, volley ball, wolf coming, post man, fire burg, dodge em, spectra, leevator, opposed laser, IDF fighter sea monster, space machinist, smash, ET base, Gopher Capture, zaxxon, theif, ski runner, pac kong, brick kick, learning fly, ice hockey, fire fighter, duck across, fast eddie, socor, spider net, treasure island[/B], clown down town, farm yard fun, Panda.

Edited by Foxsolo2000

Rom found this article on classic gaming.com and they mention the game Treasure Island and Space Trip on a 128 in 1 game console.  Seems Treasure Island does exist after all but on a multi console.  Space Trip also exists as a cartridge in itself for another site has it listed as Data Tech.  Still looking for conformation of what game it is though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YEAR 1991

COUNTRY  U.S.A.

Model# CX-2600

Codename Bonnie

CPU 6507

SPEED 1.19 MHz

COPROCESSORS N/A

ROM 4K max + 128 Games build in

RAM 128 Bytes, in VLSI

GRAPHIC Modes N/A

COLORS Color

SOUND N/A

I/O Ports/Addons Antenna connector, controller ports

Only found overseas (and as such, it is a PAL version), this model of the 2600JR was surprisingly released in 1991 - a time when the 2600 market had long vanished and Jack Tramiel's Atari Corp. was officially dropping all support for the aged console.

That may be the very answer for the existance of this unique console. Most likely in an effort to liquidate overstock (which Atari Corp. always had) - they created this model.

A closeup of the bank switch.

Besides being packaged with the European 7800 model pad controllers, the first noticable difference in this model is the inclusion of black, 4 position switch in the upper left side of the console, clearly labled "Game Group". The switch is there, because this console comes pre-built with 128 games!

A tactic usually reserved for pirate 2600's, this was officially Atari sanctioned as noted by the Atari manufacturing stamp on the rom chips.

The motherboard

ROM chip closeup

The games within the banks are then switched by using the BW/Color switch, which now serves the purpose of selecting each game image, freeing up the normal game select switch to work it's normal function of selecting game levels and options within the game itself.

While the console itself isn't a pirateit is interesting to note that many of the games use alternative titles for common games, have multiple verions of the same game (six different versions of missle command, multiple versions of Defender including one with a dragon), or are other games not originally widely distributed (Raindbow Vision games). There are of course some of the more well known games, though they span more than just Atari's catalog and include games by Sancho, US games, Video games, Spectrevision, Konami, Homevision, Dimax, Coleco, and more.

Here is a list of the games included:

Bank 1 - enduro, ocean city, assault, fortress defense, seahawk, airborne assault, robot attack, bank heist, keystone kapers, sweet family, base attack, evil attack, missile attack, river raid, river raid 2, space ship, space trip, jaw, laser gate, king kong,wolf fighting, bezerk, challenge, space war, zoo fun elephant foot ball, pac man, sec faw, sky diver, mega force 1, tank city.

Bank 2 - Helicopter war, Mathermatic, flag capture, golf, western wise, rabbit jumping, six funny doll, fishing crab, canon ball 3d tic tac toe, othello, surround, third city, eagle, bolt racers, space castleboxing, free way, tank street, ski run, out law, parachute, basketball, bowling, air and sea battle, tennis, collision ball, cow boy, beach moring, laser blast, silver fox, bass ball.

Hasn't "Six Funny Doll" been used as a pirate name for the original Football in the past?

Bank 3 - Frogger, seaquest, pyramid war, saturn 5, turmoil, tank, pin ball, lunar ball, pit ball, car racing, air raiders, dragon treasure, warm war 1, theik, racket ball, locate and chase, frogs n flies, gun man, piggy, boom bang, ufo patrol, gopher, Normandy landing, carnival 2, dragon defender, ice pack, command 2, motor cross, smce invaders, superman, fast food, missile command.

Bank 3 - amoeba, volley ball, wolf coming, post man, fire burg, dodge em, spectra, leevator, opposed laser, IDF fighter sea monster, space machinist, smash, ET base, Gopher Capture, zaxxon, theif, ski runner, pac kong, brick kick, learning fly, ice hockey, fire fighter, duck across, fast eddie, socor, spider net, treasure island[/B], clown down town, farm yard fun, Panda.

920281[/snapback]

"leevator"?. . . While I'm sure it's most likely Keystone Kapers, it'd be interesting if it were actually the only commercial release of Elevator Action.

Would this be the same system that has already been dumped? I doubt it because Game 1 of Bank 1 on "128-1 Junior Console (Chip 1) (PAL)" is Venture, not Enduro.

There have been a couple of these on eBay in the past few years, I believe they were all from Australia. Those auctions had pics. The system looks just like a normal Jr., only with the extra switches.

And Dragon Defender is not a hack of Defender, but rather a different, but kinda similar PAL-only game. I think Thomas converted it to NTSC, so it should be on the sight.

post-6677-1125307593_thumb.pngThere are no pictures of the games (which is a huge pity) and no further information on what they were. I have included the pic of the system which looks just like a regular 2600 Jnr. Edited by Foxsolo2000

Again sadly not. What you see is what was on their website. I have emailed the site and am waiting for a response but I have no idea if I will get a response or not. At least I have closure on some of the games I was looking for. Just the big one, Go Go Home monster and War 2000 to find. Ah, this never ending search :D

Edited by Foxsolo2000

Ok after an exhaustive search I have whittled the list down to the last 18. Feel free to offer any incite that you might know of?

1. Deadly Poison by Eram - Does anyone know if this actually exists?

2. Super Bird by Rentacom is now rumoured to be Phoenix but still unproved.

3. Space Trip exists on the multi system but does it also exist as a stand alone cart?

4. Go Go Home Monster by Home Vision 1983

5. War 2000 by Home Vision

6. Action Master by Video Game Prog

7. Avenger by Video Game Prog

9. Back Strike by Video Game Prog

10. Banned by Video Game Prog

11 Mighty Mouse by Funvision is reputed to be Mouse Trap by CBS

12. Plug Attack by Funvision

13. Round 1 by Video Game Prog

14. Sea Smash by Video Game Prog is reputed to be Sea Master/Sea Hawk

15. Star Battle by Video Game Prog could just be Death Star Battle?

16. Super Tank by Supervision

17. Treasure Hunting by Funvision could be Pitfall?

18. Tutti Frutti was released in cartrdige form by Taiwan company. Anyone seen it?

I have all of the games listed below, according to my havelist. Now I just need to find them hidden in the attic full of boxes... Well, at least now you know these actually exist.

Cheers,

Marco

6. Action Master by Video Game Prog

7. Avenger by Video Game Prog

9. Back Strike by Video Game Prog

10. Banned by Video Game Prog

11 Mighty Mouse by Funvision is reputed to be Mouse Trap by CBS

12. Plug Attack by Funvision

13. Round 1 by Video Game Prog

14. Sea Smash by Video Game Prog is reputed to be Sea Master/Sea Hawk

17. Treasure Hunting by Funvision could be Pitfall?

18. Tutti Frutti was released in cartrdige form by Taiwan company.  Anyone seen it?

920918[/snapback]

Marco while you are looking could you see if you have the following that I recently discovered on line :-

1 Cosmic Rain by ITT Family Games

2 Surround Em by Hi-Score

3 Info Patrol - Suntek Software

4 Tanks war - Home Vision

Thanks

I think Cosmic Town from ITT Family Games (554-33375) is probably misspelled as: Cosmic Rain.

Surround'Em is indeed from Action Hi-Tech - Hi-Score, but I don't know which game it is.

UFO Patrol from Rainbow Vision - Suntek (SS-031) is probably misspelled as: Info Patrol.

Tanks War from Home Vision (VCS831??) is the same game as Phantom Tank from Bit Corporation (PG203).

I think Tanks War from Home vision has model number VCS83135, because it perfectly fits into the Bit Corp/ZiMAG/Emag section of the Home Vision list:

VCS83134 Plate Mania (Dancing Plate - Bit Corp/Dishaster - ZiMAG/Emag)

VCS83135 ?

VCS83136 Cosmic War (Space Tunnel - Bit Corp/Cosmic Corridor - ZiMAG/Emag)

VCS83137 Teddy Apple (Open, Sesame! - Bit Corp/I Want My Mommy - ZiMAG/Emag)

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Rom what is the point of Words Attack by Sancho? :?

929225[/snapback]

The thread I started about that game months ago

Nobody knows what the point is . . . I'm still convinced that it involves getting all the letters in order, but I've never managed to do it.

And apparently only one copy exists and no one has the manual.

929252[/snapback]

I already shot the whole alfabet in a row, but nothing happened.

I think it's about shooting the right words, deleting the last (wrong shot) letter (and losing a life and 1 point!) by shooting a symbol or by getting hit by an enemy bullet.

Shoot one of the three enemy ships: you gain 50 points.

Shoot a letter: you gain 1 point and that letter.

Shoot a symbol or get hit by an enemy bullet: you loose 1 life, 1 point and the last gained letter.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

You know this has never made much sense to me. How can a game be officially released and yet only one have turned up some twenty years later? The same is true for Go Go Home Monster and War 2000 by Home Vision. On Ebay I have seen at least 95% of all Atari titles up for auction available at least once and yet these three titles are perhaps the rarest titles ever released. Why is that? Rom, any theories?

I probably have 200-300 titles that have never been up on eBay. Does that mean they are rarer than Video Life? Most likely not. They're probably just from countries with limited (English speaking) internet usage and/or are not very much appreciated by the big "NTSC only" elite.

Cheers,

Marco

You know this has never made much sense to me.  How can a game be officially released and yet only one have turned up some twenty years later?  The same is true for Go Go Home Monster and War 2000 by Home Vision.  On Ebay I have seen at least 95% of all Atari titles up for auction available at least once and yet these three titles are perhaps the rarest titles ever released.  Why is that?  Rom, any theories?

929958[/snapback]

I probably have 200-300 titles that have never been up on eBay. Does that mean they are rarer than Video Life? Most likely not. They're probably just from countries with limited (English speaking) internet usage and/or are not very much appreciated by the big "NTSC only" elite.

Amen.

I have nothing to add.

8)

Cheers,

Marco

Amen.

I have nothing to add.

8)

This is one of the problems with the construction of a rarity guide - perspective.

Whether or not something appears rare to an individual depends upon his or her point of view. Because eBay is, pretty much, the de facto marketplace for these games now, it becomes the case that "rarity" is equivalent to "eBay availability", at least, for the majority of collectors.

Most 2600 collectors are North Americans, and most of them appear only to be interested in collecting titles that were originally available in that market. As a result, the rarities and values usually ascribed to 2600 games are skewed towards that particular market sector.

Spirantho and some like-minded individuals have been trying to redress the balance recently, but that project has yet to have much impact on the collecting community.

As a collector of software for the Atari 8-bit computers, and as a member of the Atarimania team, I am very familiar with these issues. Fortunately, NTSC/PAL issues are less relevant to the A8 scene, but the principles are the same. We also have the additional factor of different distribution media to contend with - OK, there are a few 2600 cassette titles, but that's pretty small print stuff. A8 collectors have disks, cassettes, and carts with which to grapple.

In addition, most A8 software is much harder to come by than most 2600 stuff, because of the much lower user base. This also means that our stuff is generally less expensive, and more obscure.

The point is that the perceived rarity, and the perceived value, of a particular piece of software, is entirely dependant on the perspective of the person assessing those characteristics.

As I've said before, for me, something is pretty rare if I don't have it, and very rare if I haven't heard of it.

At Atarimania.com, we are attempting to archive all of the software that was available for the A8 computers. We do get very excited about titles that we hadn't previously heard about, even if they're not good programs. We are completists, and would definitely get very high scores on measures of "nerdliness". However, that is the nature of collecting and archiving.

The NTSC-only 2600 collectors should turn in their nerdly credentials right now.

Edited by deathtrappomegranate