IGNORED

Armchair Arcade Issue 7 Released!

small07.jpg

Issue 7 of Armchair Arcade has now been released. The following nine features are available now, with more on the way: (Cover Image by Richard Horsman); 01. Hot Topic - Backwards Compatibility: Good or Bad? ; 02. Atari: The Lost Years of the Coin-Op, 1971 – 1975 ; 03. A Chat with Chris Crawford ; 04. Retrogaming and Beyond on Mac OS X ; 05. A Reader’s Guide to the System Ranking Matrix (2005 Update) ; 06. The Best of Life in Eberron ; 07. Antic Aardvark in "Old School" ; 08. Video Review: Donkey Kong (GB, 1994) ; and 09. Character Selection: From Princess to Dwarf .

Visit www.armchairarcade.com to check everything out!

Backwards Compatibility

modern examples: PS2, GBC, GBA, GBDS, PS3?, 360?

counter-examples: N64, GCN, anything by Sega, GBDS, Rev

Now, in my opinion backwards compatibility is something the public says they want but they really don't need it. I mean, is someone going to buy PSX games to play on their PS2? No, they're going to be playing MGS2. Console manufacturers would be better to spend their time, money & effort making it as easy as possible for developers to create spectacular games for their system.

Backwards Compatibility

modern examples: PS2, GBC, GBA, GBDS, PS3?, 360?

counter-examples: N64, GCN, anything by Sega, GBDS, Rev

Now, in my opinion backwards compatibility is something the public says they want but they really don't need it.  I mean, is someone going to buy PSX games to play on their PS2?  No, they're going to be playing MGS2.  Console manufacturers would be better to spend their time, money & effort making it as easy as possible for developers to create spectacular games for their system.

892242[/snapback]

I obviously agree about backwards compatibility not being something anyone needs, as it really is ultimately a nice-to-have, especially in the short term. Eventually you'll want to mostly play the latest games anyway, most likely. How many PS2 owners are still actively playing PS1 games on that system in comparison to PS2-only games?

I'm not sure though what you mean by counter-examples. The Revolution is going to be backwards compatible with the GameCube and emulate prior Nintendo systems. The DS is backwards compatible with just the GBA. Sega's Master System was backwards compatible in Japan with SG-1000 software, Sega's prior console, which was unreleased in the US. An official Sega Master System adapter was released for the Sega Genesis by Sega, and in fact seems to offer 100% compatibility, as I can easily play 3D and card games on it.

Feel free to comment with the feature at Armchair Arcade.

• 2 weeks later...

Mark Vergeer brings Armchair Arcade its first Issue 7 bonus article, which is a mini video review of Konami Collector's Series: Arcade Advanced for the Nintendo GameBoy Advance. Additional Issue 7 bonus articles will follow in the coming weeks, which include a feature on Halo 2 and classic gaming, and a feature on baseball games.

Also, there are data tweaks and updated photos within the 87 US systems "System Ranking Matrix". The updated photos include the Nokia N-Gage, APF, Apple Macintosh (current model), Tapwave Zodiac and Watara Supervision entries.

Visit www.armchairarcade.com to see all of the above and more!