IGNORED

5200 power supply fuse

wufners

Does anybody know (and I know you do) what the fuse in the 5200 power supply is?

Info on the power supply is:

Part No. C018187

Input: 120VAC 60Hz 38W

Output: 9.3VDC AT 1.95A

Positive Polarity.

Thanks! I blew mine out and was gonna take the fuse to Radio Shack to buy a replacement, but I decided to lose it instead. D'oh.

Its just as well you didnt bother with Radio Shack. Unless you want a computer, a satellite subscription, or a cell phone they will likely not have what you want anyway.

889321[/snapback]

Oh yeah? I had always heard you could get stuff like that there. Since I generally can't stand the store, I rarely go in there and don't know if they have fuses or not.

If not there, then where's a good place to get fuses?

Does anybody know (and I know you do) what the fuse in the 5200 power supply is?

Info on the power supply is:

Part No.  C018187

Input:  120VAC  60Hz  38W

Output:  9.3VDC  AT 1.95A

Positive Polarity.

Thanks!  I blew mine out and was gonna take the fuse to Radio Shack to buy a replacement, but I decided to lose it instead.  D'oh.

889289[/snapback]

If you look very carefully at the end caps of the barrel fuse it might be etched with a voltage and current rating. Whatever its marked, be sure to get a 'slow-blow' replacement, fast acting types will burn out easily in a power supply application.

Wal-Mart may have barrel fuses in its automotive department.

Steve

I use 5A 250V slo-blo fuses with the leads attached to the ends. You can also try to rig up a fuse holder with regular fuses but it's a bit of a pain. And no, Radio Shack doesn't carry them.

Mitch

I use 5A 250V slo-blo fuses with the leads attached to the ends. You can also try to rig up a fuse holder with regular fuses but it's a bit of a pain. And no, Radio Shack doesn't carry them.

Mitch

889386[/snapback]

Super!

Thanks Mitch and everyone else, I appreciate your responses very much!

Its just as well you didnt bother with Radio Shack. Unless you want a computer, a satellite subscription, or a cell phone they will likely not have what you want anyway.

889321[/snapback]

Oh yeah? I had always heard you could get stuff like that there. Since I generally can't stand the store, I rarely go in there and don't know if they have fuses or not.

If not there, then where's a good place to get fuses?

889329[/snapback]

Sorry...I was just being a smartass. You might find it at Radio Shack. My experience has always been that they rarely have what I want anymore and all they try to do is sell you something you dont need.

As an electrician, I've always followed the rule that whatever you're trying to protect needs a fuse rated at 1.8 times its operating current. Therefore, the maximum fuse you should use is 1.8 times the amount of current the 5200 uses. Wow that helped a lot!

Assume that it uses 1.95 amps (the power supply rating), and get fast acting fuse rated for 3.5 amps.

I assume that the fuse is on the 12 volt side of the transformer that goes to the 5200.

If it's on the 120 volt side, you need a half amp fuse. The power supply itself uses .31 amps from the wall outlet at 120 volts. If you live in an area with 220 volts, then the power supply uses 1.6 amps and needs a .25 amp fuse.

First, though, find out why the fuse blew. If you shorted the power plug or something, then everything should be ok with the new fuse. If the 5200 got zorched, it'll keep blowing fuses over and over, or ruin the power supply. Fix it first, then replace the fuse. Ditto if the switchbox is hosed (4 port only).

If the fuse is on the primary side, (the line that plugs into the wall), go ahead and replace it. If it blows again, something's probably shorted out within the power supply, and you should replace the whole thing.

Don't count on Radio Shack having the right fuse in stock. They might, but be prepared to order it just in case.

If you need help testing for a short, send me a PM here. I don't want to post it because if it's tested wrong, the 5200, power supply, switch box, or other components may be ruined.