IGNORED

NGC Sonic Mega Collection What am I doing wrong?

Okay,

Picked this up about 6 months ago now. It is the Sonic Mega collection with most of the Genesis released Sonic games for the Cube. On this compilation are extra games such as the bonus rounds and even Ristar eventually.

My son has played all the games on this compilation almost daily for the past 6 months since we got it. And yet, none of the extra games have unlocked yet?! I have read online and most places stated that the games only need to be started x number of times to unlock other games. I know that one night I stayed up starting Sonic 1 like 50 times in a row (Lost count somewhere after 40) trying to unlock something and couldn't get anything different to appear.

Now I happen to have the Player's Choice release of this but I don't think there is any physical difference in the coding of the games, just packaging differences.

So, has anyone been able to unlock any extra content on the Cube version of the Sonic Mega Collection? If so, what did you unlock and do you know how you did it?

I am about frustrated with this because I love Sonic as much as the next guy but really want to play some of the other games as well. Any ideas?

IN case anyone wonders, I use an official Nintendo 251 memory card for the saves on this one. I do have a few of the Mad Catz mem cards, but they are for backup storage and not used primarily.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

I thought the extra content only existed on the xbox version.  :?

Can anyone confirm this?

890766[/snapback]

Yes...your wrong

890785[/snapback]

there actually are hidden games on the Cube.

I unlocked them the easy way: using the Action Replay Max... :)

That's because the unlockables (except Flicky) are unlocked by combinations of games, if you're playing the US version, it's...

Blue Sphere - play Sonic & Sonic Blast 20 times each

Knuckles in Sonic 2 - play Sonic 2 & Spinball 20 times each

Knuckles in Sonic 3 - play Sonic 3 & Sonic & Knuckles 20 times each

Flicky - play Bean Machine 30 times

Ristar - play the other 4 hidden games 30 times each

when you start up a game, youll get a message about saving system memory or something like that. eventually, you will no longer get this message, which means the system is no longer counting how many times youve played that particular game, and go on to the next game.

this is by far the biggest pain in the ass method of unlocking ever concieved. if activision can have scores within an emulator set off unlockables, there is no excuse for sega not to do the same

Okay...for the record,

I know for a fact that Sonic 1 and Sonic Blast have both been played well over 20 times each. In fact, I know they have been played well over 50 times each. I know this, because my son plays this nearly daily and has since we got it. And he always plays Sonic 1 and Sonic Blast at least once per session.

So, then does that mean that to unlock these games you have to ONLY play sonic1 and sonic blast 20 times each and nothing else? Because I still get the message about the game being logged on every one of these games at the start. I too was hoping for the message to have gone away by now..but they still come up.

So that now leads me to think that to unlock the games, you have to play ONLY the games listed the number of times listed to unlock the other games. Something else worth mentioning is that my local McDonald's also has Sonic Mega Collection playing on one of their 6 cubes they have setup for kids in the play area. It has a memory card, and it too doesn't have any of the unlocked games and just the standard 7 you start with. Now I find it hard to believe that this isn't played at least once a day (Most likely several times a day), and that NONE of the games have been unlocked yet?

I seriously think that some of the copies are flawed and never keep track of the game logs even though they state they are. This leads me to believe that some of the copies floating around out there don't unlock the games as they should.

Okay...for the record,

I know for a fact that Sonic 1 and Sonic Blast have both been played well over 20 times each. In fact, I know they have been played well over 50 times each. I know this, because my son plays this nearly daily and has since we got it. And he always plays Sonic 1 and Sonic Blast at least once per session.

891057[/snapback]

hmmmm.... maybe your son just switches off the cube when he doesn´t want to play sonic anymore instead of going back to the main menu... progress won´t be saved then i think...

Ineresting idea...and even I am guilty of that one. Afterall, I figured the data was being saved each time I started up a game and it added to the game log?

But then your saying that in addition to that, we need to back out all the way to the main menu of the game where you choose between games, extras, etc.. before turning it off. I guess I can give that a whirl later and see what happens. Thanks for that idea!

Hmm..the link above isn't working for me? Getting server not found errors?

By the way...out of the blue today...finally. Blue Spheres unlocked...but now I can't seem to find a way to start it beyond the No Way screen. I know there is a combo to get it going on the original sonic card and sonic and knuckles lock on.