IGNORED

Converting from RF to SVideo for the 5200

AtariLady

I am considering buy the conversion kit from 8bitdomain. Anybody have experience with this? Did you find it easy to do?  Did the picture improve after switching over?

Thanks

AtariLady

891920[/snapback]

I do have an 2600 with S-Video out it's just awesome, I know one thing it be nice to mod my 5200 to have a S-Video out! ;)

Edited by walter_J64bit

• 4 months later...

Depends on what you think is expensive, I imagine it would be 15-20 dollars 1 way.

Not something I'd want to do regularly of course, but for a 1 time thing I think most would consider it worthwhile if their finances allowed it.

Of course if you're comfortable doing the mod yourself, it definately wouldn't be worthwhile to spend the extra money to ship your console to someone else to perform the mod.

That site is cool, I'll have to let'em do the S-Video mod  :D

978450[/snapback]

Nice site, but I think shipping a 5200 from the US to Canada and back again would be pretty expensive.

978631[/snapback]

Nah - I had them mod my 7800, and the shipping wasn't exhorbitantly expensive - maybe $10-12 each way.

Edited by Laner

That site is cool, I'll have to let'em do the S-Video mod  :D

978450[/snapback]

Nice site, but I think shipping a 5200 from the US to Canada and back again would be pretty expensive.

978631[/snapback]

Nah - I had them mod my 7800, and the shipping wasn't exhorbitantly expensive - maybe $10-12 each way.

978841[/snapback]

But the Big Sexy is a fair bit larger and heavier than a 7800.

I gotta question about this mod.

I bought one from 8-bit dom ages ago & being the clumsy sod I am, buggered up (is that the right technical jargon?) the installation! :(

Anyhoo, I noticed after this unfortunate incident that the connection I was fitting does not fit my composite cables. Is this a UK thing? The pins going into the back of the console are too long & dont fit properly. Is there a cable I can import form the US to get around this problem?

I have a S-video cable, but this again is completely different to what is being moded!

Cheers

Gaztee

I have a S-video cable, but this again is completely different to what is being moded!

Cheers

Gaztee

984807[/snapback]

Not quite sure what your exact problem is - but the 8bitdomain mods use seperate RCA jacks for chroma/luma. Most TVs and displays need a standard svideo jack. So you hook RCA cables to the mods output and use something like this

post-5887-1134937145_thumb.jpg

to convert the seperate RCAs to a standard svideo jack.

Could you point me in the right direction on finding these leads??

984902[/snapback]

Well, I did look around a bit for something like that, but when I didn't find them - I just made it myself.

What you see there is a solder type svideo plug and the leads off of one end of an RCA extension cable. There's only four wires that need to be connected, so they're pretty easy to make.

svideo pinout