IGNORED

This site really sucks...

Needles Kane

No, AA doesn't suck ;) . I found this site a while back and was horrified at all the mistakes and biased information on every page, especially the Jag page. I just sent him an email about it:

Hello,

I emailed you a few weeks ago about some innacurate/biased information on your website, mainly on the Atari Jaguar page. As nothing on the page has changed since then, I've compiled a detailed list of mistakes (or things that just need to be changed) on the Jaguar page.

1. It states that the Atari Panther was a "vaporware attempt," and the Jaguar was created afterwards. In fact, Atari was developing both machines at the same time, and intended to release the Panther first to compete with the SNES and Genesis. However, the Jaguar project moved along at such a rate that Atari skipped the Panther entirely.

2. You claim that the Jaguar simply has two 32 bit processors working in tandem, which technically makes it 64 bit. While there is some truth to this, the fact remains that the Jaguar has five processors working together, and, as a complete system, is 64 bit. One could argue that not every processor is 64 bit, making the machine not 64 bit. If this logic is applied to every system, however, then most machines won't have the "bittage" that their manufacturers claim. And adding the bit amounts of different processors does not determine the bit amount of the entire system.

3. It's Alien Vs. Predator, not Aliens Vs. Predator.

4. It says AVP and T2K are "arguably the only good games for the system." Anything is arguable. And the Jag had other good games too, like Doom.

5. The CD drive wasn't vaporware, it was simply delayed.

6. You said Atari is now a "crappy software publisher for the next gen. systems." That is subjective.

7. It's Ultra Vortek, not Ultra Vortex.

8. "Plus the Jaguar controller is a piece of ugly garbage." Again, subjective.

9. You said to your knowledge, no game uses the keypad on the controller. A significant number of games use it, including Alien Vs. Predator.

Please look into changing the mistakes sometime. I realize that the top of the article says "Rant," but most of the first paragraph reads like a history overview, and should include accurate, unbiased information.

NeedlesKane32x

P.S.- I took a quick look at your Atari 2600 page, and there are more mistakes than I can count.

Hope he fixes everything :D . Read through every console's page and you'll see what I mean.

And on top of that, tell him he needs to rethink his "ages". 90's is the "golden age"?

Good thing this guy didn't make up the color coded homeland security threat system. Hmmmm...or maybe he did! ;)

While you're at it, how about asking him to remove all the pictures he stole from AtariAge, such as every single picture he has illustrating his Jaguar page?

..Al

891979[/snapback]

I didn't even notice that. Maybe I will :D .

891983[/snapback]

And on top of that, tell him he needs to rethink his "ages".  90's is the "golden age"?

Good thing this guy didn't make up the color coded homeland security threat system.  Hmmmm...or maybe he did!  ;)

To a lot of the younger generation, everything that came out before the SNES is the "classic age," everything that came out from the SNES to PS1 is the "golden age" and the current generation is the "modern age."

And on top of that, tell him he needs to rethink his "ages".  90's is the "golden age"?

Good thing this guy didn't make up the color coded homeland security threat system.  Hmmmm...or maybe he did!  ;)

While you're at it, how about asking him to remove all the pictures he stole from AtariAge, such as every single picture he has illustrating his Jaguar page?

..Al

891979[/snapback]

I didn't even notice that. Maybe I will :D .

891983[/snapback]

892004[/snapback]

While I can't agree about the 90's being a 'Golden Age'... I will say that the 90's seemed like the prime-time for the uprise in technology!

(wow, the Jag controller makes him feel stupid? anyways... my friends and I never seemed to have a problem with it and most agree it's comfortable to hold!)

AvP and T2K "ain't so bad" hmmph...

Edited by Clint Thompson

The guy is obviously a clueless dolt (the nicest mean thing I can possibly call him. Believe me, there were plenty of other nasty names bouncing around in my head.)

Writing him a note with a standoffish tone won't get him to change anything. He has absolutely zero credibility... Just look at his other writings. Someone needs to teach him how to spell check... :ponder:

Hi folks!

Actually I sometimes have the impression that for many of todays so called players think everything before 2002 is classic, while the current week being the golden age and a week later that week becomes the golden age and everything before that is forgotten :D

I really miss real gamers on most next gen gaming sites and forums. (except for the Atari Age forum of course).

It's strange, it almost seems like true gamers have become an endangered species. It's really scary too see how many people even if they are not much younger than myself call themselves gamers and have no idea what side of a CD should be facing up or down :D

Let alone knowing the different genres. They just know tactic shooters, sports games and movie license games.

Somebody should really introduce a license that people need to get before they may own a computer or video game systems, afterall those things are dangerous weapons and the junk those people talk on the net could drive true gamers into loosing all hopes for future gaming generations. ;)

Regards, Lars.

well i might as well open my big mouth LMFAO

as for the controller.. i always thought it was the 'out of place' piece until i used it...

in fact my wee brother(12yo),i have bought him the ps2 and N64(but i own niether) was here the other week and he noticed the sllek black console sitting in the middle of the floor(so the controller will reach my recliner).. he made a comment to the size of the controllers . but even 12yo hands were quite nimble on it so functionability prevails and i would like to see a matching 'jaguar' in red but i have paint

as for the 64-bit argument.. i recall seeing the complete tech specs and i noticed of the 5 or what ever processors at least 2 were individually labeled 64-bit data stream width wilst most were labeled 32-bit

i have my doubts about the whole 2x 32 bit as i count its was 2x64 bit and 3x 32 bit.. what am i missing

as for 'golden age' as far as sales and market share the 2600 was king, technology, even though the block-tastic 2600 was amazing in its day, the jag was a huge leap was taken..although not able for many reasons not able to reach all

think Atari Phoenix for the next atari console with the game creation not based on "we can only sell to NEC", but now they are very much cross platform to get every consumer. conmmon they COULD do it. even though

I can't see why you care the whole site is a joke.

892536[/snapback]

I'm assuming that sentence is supposed to mean "I can't see why you care; the whole site is a joke" rather than "I can't see why you care that the whole site is a joke." :roll: Well, it's not a joke. I've traded emails with the admin several times and he's really trying to build a decent game system database. Even if it was a joke, I'd want it to be an accurate joke.

as for the 64-bit argument.. i recall seeing the complete tech specs and i noticed of the 5 or what ever processors at least 2 were individually labeled 64-bit data stream width wilst most were labeled 32-bit

i have my doubts about the whole 2x 32 bit as i count its was 2x64 bit and 3x 32 bit.. what am i missing

892716[/snapback]

There are several threads on the whole "Is the Jag really 64-bit?" argument.

I'm assuming that sentence is supposed to mean "I can't see why you care; the whole site is a joke" rather than "I can't see why you care that the whole site is a joke."  :roll:  Well, it's not a joke. I've traded emails with the admin several times and he's really trying to build a decent game system database. Even if it was a joke, I'd want it to be an accurate joke.

And even if it was a joke (which it apparently is not), the owner of the site shouldn't be stealing images from other sites for illustration on his own. I'm guessing none of the pictures are his, given how he's used pictures from AtariAge to illustrate the various Atari systems.

..Al

I've had so many arguments with people about the Jag's 64-bitness, i've gotten sick of the whole thing. I usually explain to the idiots that the Xbox has a 32-bit processor in it, but it's obviously not a "32-bit" system, in the same vein as other 32-bit consoles like the Saturn or the PS1. The main processor's bits doesn't completely equate to the overall system's "bitness". The technology is more complicated than that, and people with uncomplicated minds just can't seem to make the correlation. The Intellivision's processor was 16-bit, but it doesn't make it as powerful as the Sega Genesis. But stupid people with limited intelligence will make a quick judgement, and never learn the facts to correct their error. I just leave them to wallow in their ignorance.

I'm assuming that sentence is supposed to mean "I can't see why you care; the whole site is a joke" rather than "I can't see why you care that the whole site is a joke."  :roll:  Well, it's not a joke. I've traded emails with the admin several times and he's really trying to build a decent game system database. Even if it was a joke, I'd want it to be an accurate joke.

And even if it was a joke (which it apparently is not), the owner of the site shouldn't be stealing images from other sites for illustration on his own. I'm guessing none of the pictures are his, given how he's used pictures from AtariAge to illustrate the various Atari systems.

..Al

892766[/snapback]

I just received an email from the admin of the site:

Atari age gave me permission to use thier images actually.

Sounds like BS to me.

I just received an email from the admin of the site:
Atari age gave me permission to use thier images actually.

Sounds like BS to me.

892925[/snapback]

Just checked through my emails. Back on May 7, 2004, I received the following email from Mark:

Hi there, I run a website where I am trying to have pics and info on every game system ever made. An impossible mission, but a man can dream.

I would like permission to use the pictures of the atari system x 5200 prototype from the philly classic 03. I will of course give credit and link to Atariage.com. Please respond soon.

Thanks

-Mark

http://hawanja.com

To which I responded the same day,

Hi Mark,

You have permission to use the pictures of the Atari System X prototype from PhillyClassic 3.  A link back to AtariAge would be greatly appreciated, thanks.  :)

Take care,

..Al

Looking at his 5200 page I do see that he credited that one picture. But that's the only communication I've had from him, and I did not give him permission to use all the other pictures.

..Al

well i might as well open my big mouth LMFAO

as for the controller.. i always thought it was the 'out of place' piece until i used it...

in fact my wee brother(12yo),i have bought him the ps2 and N64(but i own niether) was here the other week and he noticed the sllek black console sitting in the middle of the floor(so the controller will reach my recliner).. he made a comment to the size of the controllers . but even 12yo hands were quite nimble on it so functionability prevails and i would like to see a matching 'jaguar' in red but i have paint

When Nintendo and SEGA came up with the pads I thought "how the hell am I supposed to use THOSE?" In any event, the pads put me off buying any Nintendo and Sega system. Never owned one, never will. When the Jag came out the controllers were a big improvement on the tiny cramp-creating pads of its rivals ... but that's not to say the jag's controllers couldn't be improved upon.

Something which showed this guy's bias towards everything NES was his description of the XEGS. Ugly? For my money it's one of the sexiest consoles that ever lived ... and I want one for the looks alone (one on eBay at the moment but no cash :(). The NES was a cheap-looking plastic box for crissake! But the ugliest system of all time was the original Master System.

Comparing the looks of the NES to the XEGS is like comparing a Lada Riva (I had one) to a McLaren Mercedes SLR ... :roll: :lust:

Let's just hope he never gets a job on the BBC's Top Gear 'cos Jeremy Clarkson he aint.

I've had so many arguments with people about the Jag's 64-bitness, i've gotten sick of the whole thing.

Because you're going about it the wrong way. Just state the FACT that the Jaguar has a 64-bit data bus, and leave it at that. This is indisputable.

And yes, that site is drop-dead awful. The standard layout produces text columns about one inch wide by five screens tall. Oh, and no, the 7800 did not come packaged with the High Score Cartridge, the XEGS is not a repackaged Atari 800, and Cloak and Dagger was not a good movie.

Edited by ZylonBane

and Cloak and Dagger was not a good movie.

893258[/snapback]

I had to watch that movie in AP Psychology, i had to write up a paper explaining what developmental stage (according to Freud, Pioget, and ...i don't remember the 3rd) Davey and Kim were in.

I liked it, though it was pretty cheesey and unrealistic at points (a ten year old boy out-manuvering machine gun fire )

...but any movie featuring an Atari is good in my book :P

The only reason why Atari didn't release the panther is because Atari didn't have the funds to mass manufacture and market both the Panther and Jaguar, as Atari had just stopped manuf. and marketing the 8bit computers/games systems (incl. lynx) and were about to pull the plug on the ST/falcon etc platforms

Suffice it to say that the hardware for panther/jaguar was designed by the same British company that also designed the hardware for MGT's Sam Coupe, this system became famous because the computer supported a built in 'emulator' that allowed you to play speecy games (it was the first system released to sport such a feature)

a normal person is not going to know that the Jaguar was a 64-bit system based upon the games. If i knew nothing about games and systems, and I played a Jaguar for the first time and EVERY GAME IN THE LIBRARY, i would've thought it was 16-bit. I mean come on. 90% of the games looked as good or worse than SNES games.

Though technically speaking the Jag is 64 bit, its a total joke since with all its hardware, it still only had the graphical power to acheive 16 or a little above 16-bit graphics.