IGNORED

Couple questions about Mega ST 4

Question 1: does the Mega 4 ST have the same incompatibilities with software that any ST that is upgraded to 4MB has? Or will it run all the software that say, a 1040ST with 1meg will? Question 2: Is the keyboard of the Mega 4 a better quality like the Mega STE's and TT's, or is it the same "mushy" keyboard of regular ST's?

Thanks in advance.

1) Yes. All ST computers with 4Mb RAM have the problem. There are workarounds such as programs that limits the amount of RAM available by software.

2) The keyboard is better than regular ST ones. Don't remember for sure how it compares to TT's one.

I own a Mega ST 4 and Mega STE and the keyboards are both great, much better feeling than the ST series. The Mega STE one is a more modern keyboard and has a good feel to it. IMHO I would stay with the keyboard that goes with the actual unit than try to swap.

I own a Mega ST 4 and Mega STE and the keyboards are both great, much better feeling than the ST series.  The Mega STE one is a more modern keyboard and has a good feel to it.  IMHO I would stay with the keyboard that goes with the actual unit than try to swap.

892863[/snapback]

Good. I put up with the mushy Atari XE keyboard for years, and also my mushy ST keyboard for the last few years now too. I got a 1200XL about 1 1/2 years ago and an 800 recently and both are far superior to the XE/ST keyboards and I just wanted to make sure if I upgrade to a Mega that I don't have to settle for another mushy keyboard. I don't intend to swap anything, I'm just watching an auction for a Mega 4 right now, and if it doesn't go too high, I may decide to bid on it. Just in case I do get a Mega 4, can someone show me where to get one of those "work around" programs that ijor mentioned that will hide some ST memory so most programs will still work. Also though, does the Mega series use chip or SIMM memory? If it uses SIMM memory, then I could just remove a bit of memory for compatibility too I suppose, though a program that hides memory would be easier...

Unfortunately MEGA ST has not SIMM. SIMMs are only in STE machines and 3rd party memory upgrades.

MEGA ST keyboard is better than 1040, but MEGA STE/TT has the best keyboard from ST line. BTW I remember that Best Electronics sell set of TT key springs. So you can have TT keyboard in every ST and XE :)

thanx.

892639[/snapback]

The ST and Mega's are fine, the Falcon is mostly compatible as is the Mega STE, the TT030 is the worst of the bunch for compatibility.

Mega ST's are one of the better choices.

Curt

892830[/snapback]

I was about to say sorry Curt but the TT is an excellent machine it runs practically everything you would need. But Then I rethought about Games.... but my TT runs Secret of Monkey Island, Elite (Frontier) so what else fdo I need :D

nick

jfuk_black.gif

Edited by Nick Harlow

• 1 month later...
Question 1: does the Mega 4 ST have the same incompatibilities with software that any ST that is upgraded to 4MB has? Or will it run all the software that say, a 1040ST with 1meg will? Question 2: Is the keyboard of the Mega 4 a better quality like the Mega STE's and TT's, or is it the same "mushy" keyboard of regular ST's?

Thanks in advance.

892080[/snapback]

The standard Atari MegaST keyboard is the highest quality and best made keyboard that Atari ever produced. The Atari MegaSTe and TT keyboards are low quality junk. It is better to use a MegaST keyboard with these machines. I had a TT keyboard and very quickly sold it on eBay, before it broke. It was not good enough for my Atari MegaST4 computer. An Atari MegaST keyboard in mint, boxed condition has a present eBay value of over $125.00. The MegaSTe and TT keyboards are valued at less then $65.00. The MegaST keyboard has seperate Cherry or Alps keyswitches from Europe. The MegaSTe and TT keyboards have cheap, low quality rubber "Chicklet" keyswitches, just like the 520ST and 1040ST. The only difference is that Atari added "springs" to fool you into thinking that the Mega STe and TT keyboards are just as nice as the MegaST keyboards, they are not. :roll:

Edited by TheAtariKing

I agree that the MegaST keyboard was the best, but I got to disagree with you about the MegaSTE/TT keyboards. They were way above the regular ST/STE/Falcon keyboards. The spacing was better and it felt pretty good and comparable to the other quality keyboards out at the time. I think most will agree, but I guess it's really a matter of individual taste.

Thanks in advance.

892080[/snapback]

The standard Atari MegaST keyboard is the highest quality and best made keyboard that Atari ever produced. The Atari MegaSTe and TT keyboards are low quality junk. It is better to use a MegaST keyboard with these machines. I had a TT keyboard and very quickly sold it on eBay, before it broke. It was not good enough for my Atari MegaST4 computer. An Atari MegaST keyboard in mint, boxed condition has a present eBay value of over $125.00. The MegaSTe and TT keyboards are valued at less then $65.00. The MegaST keyboard has seperate Cherry or Alps keyswitches from Europe. The MegaSTe and TT keyboards have cheap, low quality rubber "Chicklet" keyswitches, just like the 520ST and 1040ST. The only difference is that Atari added "springs" to fool you into thinking that the Mega STe and TT keyboards are just as nice as the MegaST keyboards, they are not. :roll:

934257[/snapback]