IGNORED

Amiga 500 / 1200

Blackjack

Another thread got me thinking about this....

I used to have an Amiga 500 that I played on my TV thanks to a video adapter. Will the 1200 also play through a TV or does it need a monitor of some sort?

And is the 1200 compatible with all the games that the 500 was?

And am I to understand, there is a way to load roms onto the Amiga with your pc?

Edited by Blackjack

I used to have an Amiga 500 that I played on my TV thanks to a video adapter. Will the 1200 also play through a TV or does it need a monitor of some sort?

892559[/snapback]

IIRC the 1200 was TV-compatible without the adapter, wasn't it? Somebody should double check that though.

Mostly, yes. A lot of games do need a patch to run 100% correctly, but they're pretty easy to get and install. Check out WHDLoad. You'll want a good sized hard drive and probably some fast ram to get the most out it. There's also the problem of needing to get the Amiga on the internet to download it...

And am I to understand, there is a way to load roms onto the Amiga with your pc?

You can connect them with a serial cable or something I think, though I've never done it. Also the Amiga can read PC disks (but you might need to download something).

Another thread got me thinking about this....

892559[/snapback]

The 1200 has RF, composite and RGB video output. The 1200 has a number of annoying compatibility problems with earlier games. Some of them can be fixed by turning off CPU caches, etc. in the preboot menu (hold down both mouse buttons while powering on).

If you can get a decent amount of memory (~8-12mb) and a hard drive in the 1200 - go and buy the WHDload program. Using that you can set up an unbelievable Amiga gaming system. It allows you to load Amiga games onto the HDD, launch them directly from there - and fixes the compatibility issues.

I have that setup on my 1200 and my CD32 and it simply rocks! :)

I didn't think the 1200 had RF, I thought you had to use a 520 with it to get RF. Of course, I never actually owned a 1200, but I used to be friends with a guy who did, and I don't remember it being anything but composite and RGB. The 500 and 2000 have composite out, but it's monochrome, not color.

The earlier the game, the less likely it will work on the 1200 without the aid of a degrader. I recommend TUDE as your degrader, it has quite a few options and you can usually figure out how to get many (but not all) games to boot.

Edit: Huh, now that I look around I guess the 1200 does have RF. Seems weird, as I don't remember any other Amiga coming with a builtin RF modulator (maybe the 1000? I know it came with color composite whereas other Amigas but the 1200 came with mono composite, and the 3000 with no composite video out).

Edited by LocalH

If you're talking about Amiga disk files (.adf) and similar, there are Amiga programs that can write them back to floppy disk as they were originally.

Aside from the kickstart/OS, there are no "roms" on the Amiga, just disks and files.

892615[/snapback]

Sorry, I should have said disk images.... sloppy terminology on my part :)