IGNORED

HSC Season 3 Week 1: Rabbit Transit

Ze_ro

BTW : Does someone know if there's an emulator that allow to record a game to a movie file while playing (.avi...) ?

895819[/snapback]

PCAE lets you record to AVI

896365[/snapback]

I forgot this feature was included in PCAE :ponder:

Thanks !!! :D

Modified Post at 16:54 (local time) :

Well I just installed the version 2.4 of PCAE for windows and I din'd find how to record a game to a .avi file while playing.

I found nothing about this feature in the manual :?

So, what version of PCAE is able to save AVI files ?

If someone can help me about this it will be very kind.

Thanks In Advance

896904[/snapback]

I'm using version 2.6, but it may be the same in version 2.4. Start the program and pick the rom you want to play, go to the "Video" tab at the top and select "record to AVI", start the emulation. When you stop the game the AVI file should be in a folder of its own. You should be able to play it back with realplayer or Windows Media Player.

897465[/snapback]

Thanks a lot !

"Save to Avi" wasn't incuded in version 2.4.

I just downloaded version 2.6 and the feature is in the menu :)

I have no much time to test it now, but I'll try when I'll be back this afternoon.

BTW : The source code link of PCAEWIN 2.6 was dead on the web site I found the emulator and it haven't found it elsewhere on the web (Ok I hadn't a lot of time to search).

If you have it, may you email it to me or tell me where I can find it ?

Thanks again

Chris

Edited by khryssun

I migrate from Z26 (DOS version) to PCAE 2.6 to have the possibility to save a game to a .AVI file. :D

Well, the colors looks better (just my P.O.V) than Z26 and I can save the screenshots directly to .jpg files, that's great.

But I was very disappointed when I wanted to watch the movie I recorded : I've got a 16 minutes movie (149 Mo) of a BLACK screen :x

I'am angry cause playing while recording was a real pain : the animation wasn't smooth (there was a lot of jerks), and the pertetual HD access to write the .avi file caused the rabbit to be difficult to control (it didn't always move immediatly when I pressed a direction key).

Anyway I kept the movie file on my HD, maybe it's well recorded but I have problems to play it correctly with windows media player (I'am using Win 98 SE) :?:

I have no idea where the problem comes from.

If someone may help, he is welcome !!!

Thanks

post-27-1122308054_thumb.jpg

Edited by khryssun

I migrate from Z26 (DOS version) to PCAE 2.6 to have the possibility to save a game to a .AVI file.  :D

Well, the colors looks better (just my P.O.V) than Z26 and I can save the screenshots directly to .jpg files, that's great.

But I was very disappointed when I wanted to watch the movie I recorded : I've got a 16 minutes movie (149 Mo) of a BLACK screen  :x

I'am angry cause playing while recording was a real pain : the animation wasn't smooth (there was a lot of jerks), and the pertetual HD access to write the .avi file caused the rabbit to be difficult to control (it didn't always move immediatly when I pressed a direction key).

Anyway I kept the movie file on my HD, maybe it's well recorded but I have problems to play it correctly with windows media player (I'am using Win 98 SE)  :?:

Thanks

898202[/snapback]

I use it on Windows 98 SE. I've had it not work some of the time. Go to Windows update and get the newest version of Media Player then run a short test game to see what will happen. If it still doesn't work, try downloading Real Player. I've tried them both and they work most of the time.

I migrate from Z26 (DOS version) to PCAE 2.6 to have the possibility to save a game to a .AVI file.  :D

But I was very disappointed when I wanted to watch the movie I recorded : I've got a 16 minutes movie (149 Mo) of a BLACK screen  :x

Anyway I kept the movie file on my HD, maybe it's well recorded but I have problems to play it correctly with windows media player (I'am using Win 98 SE)  :?:

Thanks

898202[/snapback]

I use it on Windows 98 SE. I've had it not work some of the time. Go to Windows update and get the newest version of Media Player then run a short test game to see what will happen. If it still doesn't work, try downloading Real Player. I've tried them both and they work most of the time.

898280[/snapback]

Thanks,

I think I'll try it on my father's computer (Win XP SP2).

I won't use Real Player as it's full of spywares ;)

Edited by khryssun

Tough !!!!!!!! Out of time :(

Tip (the last one I think) :

For scores above 65,000 - 70,000 apply the following tactic (maybe there's one better but I don't found it yet :ponder: ) :

On the levels with the man throwing rocks :

- Don't stop to run from one side to the other side of the screen trying to color the platforms gradually from the far sides to the center of the screen. To do such a thing you have to stay on the right side (at the bottom of the screen, 2 columns before the last one) to attract the man to the right then you'll have to run quickly to the left before he comes back.

When on the left, wait the man to come to you (wait 2 columns from the left side) then go to the right just before he comes above you. Repeat this tactic till you get only the 3 middle columns to have to change the color to.

The hard thing is to terminate the level : move from the bottom of the screen to the top jumping only on the 3 middle columns.

The difficulty is that all that stuff takes a lot of time, so we have to develop efficient patterns to avoid the countdown to reach 0.

I don't know if someone will roll the score, but I'am pretty sure it's possible to approach the 90 K with more training.

Now it's time to go to bed... 4:13 AM here.

Goodnight :sleep:

post-27-1122342099.jpg

898417[/snapback]

Is that 36 waves cleared?

898423[/snapback]

I took the "rabbit family screenshot" on the fly. I think it was 2 or maybe 3 levels before I loose and made this score.

I don't count the waves. I tried in the beginning but I stopped because that makes me loose my concentration.

When I'll solve the problem this the PCAE AVI recorder / Media player, I'll make new records and I'll count the waves :)

When I'll solve the problem this the PCAE AVI recorder / Media player, I'll make new records and I'll count the waves :)

898493[/snapback]

Well, at least early in the game each wave gives 4 little bunnies. Seems I miscounted them, since I'd thought there were 144 (actually it looks like 104). So that screen shot marks 27 waves complete if the pattern continues.

I wonder if the screen will start rolling if the bunny count falls off the overscan.

I don't know if someone will roll the score, but I'am pretty sure it's possible to approach the 90 K with more training.

898481[/snapback]

Masterfully done! :) I wish I had some more time for this game. I love it. I was really hoping to see if the difficulty resets after the series of boards with 3 enemies, but I didn't survive quite that long.

BTW, Zero, did you try a low level format?  I usually do that before running fdisk.

I did a bad block check on the disk, and it tells me that the first 36 or so blocks on the drive are bad. I'm not a hard drive guru or anything, but it seems that if the very start of the drive is buggered, then it's fatal and prevents you from setting partitions and installing filesystems and such. Whatever I try to do, it complains that it can't read the superblock and fails miserably despite the fact that mke2fs actually installed 14 redundant superblocks at various locations on the drive (Apparently, nothing actually reads these redundant superblocks except for mke2fs itself, which makes them entirely useless).

My BIOS doesn't seem to have any options to do low-level formats, and I have no other SATA-capable computers to try it on. I'm fairly certain that the drive is still under warranty, so hopefully I can convince Seagate to take it back. The data is long gone, but I'm not giving up that 160GB of space without a fight, even if it means mailing the damn thing to Japan.

--Zero

You have to get the low level format utility from the Seagate.

Maxtor has a program, PowerMax, that does regular ATA drives. I don't know if it'll do SATA or not. In any case, this is usually done from a floppy disk.

If the first 36 blocks are corrupted, a low level format will fix it. If they are physically damaged, RMA it. It sounds like that's the case. I bet the heads are damaged too, because that's the only thing in there that can damage the disk platters. The heads probably parked on the platters instead of their designated parking zone (sounds like the local mall, doesn't it?)

I've worked with two drives that had head crashes while spinning. As long as the heads aren't torn off, you can partition the drive around the crashed platter sections. The heads will eventually fail, though, but at least you get the computer running for a while. Both machines ran well until they were formatted, then I had to partition the drive like that. The drives were disposed of before they failed completely.

Seagate may ask you to low level format the drive. You already ran a diagnostic, though, so they may go ahead and RMA it for you.

Your data is still there, but I don't know how to retrieve it. fdisk simply erases partition info, which makes the data inacessible. A low level format, of course destroys all data.

Back to the game, one thing I used to try was to hang out near the left or right side of the Land of Ledges. This makes the distance you have to hop shorter. Try this at the rabbit's peril, though, because that heartless man drops the rocks a lot faster.

Edited by shadow460

898493[/snapback]

Well, at least early in the game each wave gives 4 little bunnies. Seems I miscounted them, since I'd thought there were 144 (actually it looks like 104). So that screen shot marks 27 waves complete if the pattern continues.

I wonder if the screen will start rolling if the bunny count falls off the overscan.

898509[/snapback]

Qood question, I haven't thought about that...

But I think we have to make a really BIG score to know that ;)

898481[/snapback]

Masterfully done! :) I wish I had some more time for this game. I love it. I was really hoping to see if the difficulty resets after the series of boards with 3 enemies, but I didn't survive quite that long.

898549[/snapback]

After the series with 3 enemies the difficulty doesn't reset (I hoped too). The action' speed increases and as far as I remember I had 1 level with 2 series of 2 ennemies (with a medium space between them) on 2 rows and a very speed snake in the middle row. The action was very fast and I'am pretty sure I don't remember everything, sorry. I couldn't see more as I died on a platforms level.

About the man and the rock : their speed increase again and again (as far as I went) :(

And I agree with you, this game is very addictive (Thank you Keir :thumbsup: ) and I'll continue to play this great game because I'd like to break the 90,000 barrier :ponder:

Edited by khryssun

It was quite fun. I'd tried it when got my Supercharger a couple years ago, but not enough to get into it. Will definitely continue to play it now

Good job khryssun and xeex! I got tied up paying bills last night. Had time for a couple games afterward but was to tired to do well at that point(couldn't even break 60K) :(