IGNORED

2600 Tank Control Conversions

Albert

/software_hacks.html?SystemID=2600Thomas Jentzsch has created two new controller conversions for your 2600 gaming pleasure. His creations this time around are Battlezone TC and Robot Tank TC. The TC in these titles stands for Tank Control. To control your tank in these games, use two joysticks with up and down movement to simulate real tank controls. For more information on each of these modifications, please see their respective pages linked above.

I've added these to my Stella profile but can't get Battlezone TC to work with any "known" Cartridge.Type value. Does the new Battlezone TC use illegal opcodes that Stella can't handle?

The currently posted Stella profile includes the two new games but the Battlezone TC entry's Cartridge.Type value is that of regular Battlezone until I figure out the settings.

Voch

quote:

Originally posted by Voch:

I've added these to my
but can't get Battlezone TC to work with any "known" Cartridge.Type value. Does the new Battlezone TC use illegal opcodes that Stella can't handle?

Hmm, did you notice that I changed the ROM to 16K (from the original 8K)? There are no illegal opcodes, and the games uses the standard Atari 16K bankswitching method (F6).

I had to do this, because there was no space inside the 8K left, where I could add my code for the hack.

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Jentzsch:

I just tested it with Stella and it worked perfect with the Cartridge.Type F6.

I tested it with Stella 1.1 (not StellaX) and it works fine. Sorry 'bout raising a stink. I guess I'll do my Windows work with the command-line Stella first. The updated Stella profile file has been posted.

Thanks.

Voch

quote:

Hmm, did you notice that I changed the ROM to 16K (from the original 8K)? There are no illegal opcodes, and the games uses the standard Atari 16K bankswitching method (F6).

I had to do this, because there was no space inside the 8K left, where I could add my code for the hack.

I tried F6 for the Cartridge.Type value and all I get is a black screen. I did this with StellaX 1.13a for Windows. I'll try it again with Mac Stella 1.2 when I get home (about 5pm ET) and tweak some of the other settings (I have a "Emulation.HmoveBlanks" "No" value in there, too). I will update the Stella profile accordingly.

Thanks. I figured you changed the banking method after exceeding 8K.

Voch

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: Voch ]

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: Voch ]

quote:

I tested it with Stella 1.1 (not StellaX) and it works fine. Sorry 'bout raising a stink. I guess I'll do my Windows work with the command-line Stella first.

I'm wondering why it doesn't work with StellaX. Is the game recognized at all? Or is there some imcompatibility inside StellaX?

I've done some very weird (but legal!) coding (switching throught the banks by executing code on the bankswitching hotspots) but that shouldn't be a problem. And the hack has been tested with Cuttle Cart, so it should be 100% ok.

quote:

I have a "Emulation.HmoveBlanks" "No" value in there, too

Oh, my keywords are spoken. I'm sorry that I've to interrupt here, but does "Emulation.HmoveBlanks" "No" mean that the little buggers are diplayed or not?

Since I assume they're not displayed with this value set, I'd like to ask you, to add this to both Gunfight entries.

Being such an excellent programmer I of course avoided to display any annoying black lines in Gunfight

Greetings,

Manuel

quote:

Originally posted by Cybergoth:

Since I assume they're
not
displayed with this value set, I'd like to ask you, to add this to both Gunfight entries.

Disabling HmoveBlank emulation won't change the look of your game at all, it only might increase the emulator performance very slightly.

Being such an excellent programmer   I of course avoided to display any annoying black lines in Gunfight    

quote:

I'm wondering why it doesn't work with StellaX. Is the game recognized at all? Or is there some imcompatibility inside StellaX?

I'm having the same problem in Stella 1.1.2 for Macintosh. I have no idea what's up.

Voch

quote:

I'm having the same problem in Stella 1.1.2 for Macintosh. I have no idea what's up.

Me too, weird. AFAIK they are all based on the same emulation core.

Somebody who's interested to make the game work, should contact the developers and ask.