IGNORED

Help! Falcon and HD driver users

Hi Guys

Can anyone help, I bought a Falcon about 18 months ago off ebay, I finally got round to rehousing into an old AT pc tower case I had, everything went well and I upgraded the internal 2.5 850meg hard drive with a 3.5 inch 6.4gig model I had left over form a old pc.

The Falcon came with alot of original software, although the previous user had lost alot of the manuals and original boxes, I had been using the Falcon with the orginal 850meg hd and it had Magic 6.01 on it so I wanted to install it again.

I used a wizztronics ide adaptor to connect the 6gig drive and i also attached a ide goldstar cdrom drive, i installed HDdriver 7.80 (that came with the Falcon) and every thing went well, I partitioned the drive and HD driver seen the goldstar cd rom, and everything seemed ok, the drive booted no probs, although I couldn't access the cd rom at that point.

I installed Magic 6.01 and everything seemed fine, I got conformation the install was a sucess but on rebooting the system halted i will give you the exact screen details that appear.

HDRIVER V7.80

© 1989-1999 Uwe Seimet

IDE 00.00 : FUJITSU MPC3064AT, DIRECT ACCESS DEVICE

IDE 01.00 : GOLDSTARCD-ROM GCD-R5803, CD-ROM/DVD DEVICE

SCSI 07.00: ATARI FACLON HDDRIVER, PROCESSOR DEVICE

Partitions : CDEFG (the 'C' drive is highlighted)

Allocated memory : 743 KByte

Offscreen-Trieiber nicht gefunden.

MCMD wird Gestartet

System wird angehalten

I ran a quick translation on the german text and it came back with Offscreen driver not found, MCMD will be started, system halted.

Now this happened before when I tried installing Extendos Gold, and I blamed extendos, so I cleared the hard drive and started again but this time after intalling HD driver I installed Magic and got the same above message so I take it, it must be something to do with HD driver does anyone have any ideas what is wrong or is it something Im doing wrong. Sorry to go on but I want to give as much info as possible. I haven't had much experience with HD driver when i Had the STE setup i used tho old Atari HD utilites.

So its over to you guys now hope someone can help. :?

Hi Guys

Can anyone help, I bought a Falcon about 18 months ago off ebay, I finally got round to rehousing into an old AT pc tower case I had, everything went well and I upgraded the internal 2.5 850meg hard drive with a 3.5 inch 6.4gig model I had left over form a old pc. 

The Falcon came with alot of original software, although the previous user had lost alot of the manuals and original boxes, I had been using the Falcon with the orginal 850meg hd and it had Magic 6.01 on it so I wanted to install it again.

I used a wizztronics ide adaptor to connect the 6gig drive and i also attached a ide goldstar cdrom drive, i installed HDdriver 7.80 (that came with the Falcon) and every thing went well, I partitioned the drive and HD driver seen the goldstar cd rom, and everything seemed ok, the drive booted no probs, although I couldn't access the cd rom at that point.

I installed Magic 6.01 and everything seemed fine, I got conformation the install was a sucess but on rebooting the system halted i will give you the exact screen details that appear.

HDRIVER V7.80

© 1989-1999 Uwe Seimet

IDE 00.00 : FUJITSU MPC3064AT, DIRECT ACCESS DEVICE

IDE 01.00 : GOLDSTARCD-ROM  GCD-R5803, CD-ROM/DVD DEVICE

SCSI 07.00: ATARI    FACLON HDDRIVER, PROCESSOR DEVICE

Partitions : CDEFG (the 'C' drive is highlighted)

Allocated memory : 743 KByte

Offscreen-Trieiber nicht gefunden.

MCMD wird Gestartet

System wird angehalten

I ran a quick translation on the german text and it came back with Offscreen driver not found, MCMD will be started, system halted.

Now this happened before when I tried installing Extendos Gold, and I blamed extendos, so I cleared the hard drive and started again but this time after intalling HD driver I installed Magic and got the same above message so I take it, it must be something to do with HD driver does anyone have any ideas what is wrong or is it something Im doing wrong.  Sorry to go on but I want to give as much info as possible.  I haven't had much experience with HD driver when i Had the STE setup i used tho old Atari HD utilites.

So its over to you guys now hope someone can help. :?

894991[/snapback]

This doesn't sound like HDDriver to me - that sounds like a MagiC error message, but I could be wrong.

I know what I would do. When in doubt, fall back to the lowest common denominator.

Hopefully, all your data is backed up. If not back it up, then I would do a minimal instlal wiht HDDriver and not install MagiC unti I had everything else stable.

See if you still get the error message then.

HTHs.

Hi guys

cheers for replying, I still think its HD Driver as this same message came up when I installed extendos gold, and at that time blamed extendos I erased the hard drive and put HD Driver back on and then tried magic but got the same error, the system does boot into tos no probs if i don't have anything in the auto folder!?

But i will try again, would it be any hardware clash?

Hi guys

cheers for replying, I still think its HD Driver as this same message came up when I installed extendos gold, and at that time blamed extendos I erased the hard drive and put HD Driver back on and then tried magic but got the same error, the system does boot into tos no probs if i don't have anything in the auto folder!?

895313[/snapback]

Well, like I said, for me the best way is turn *off* all ACCs, CPXs, and AUTO folder programs until I find where the culprit is.

I would just run HDDriver by itself. If you *don't* get the error message, then its not HDDriver.

Start adding things back, 1 at a time, and only 1 at a time. When you add 1 thing and get the error message, then you've found the problem.

HTHs.

Hmm, you make partition on HD driver, yes? You initialized it, on only formatted?

O.K. - for HD Driver very important are sequence of booting. Extend DOS (for use any CD's) must be - if I remember - on very high position in your booting seqences.... Try use ane boot-loader progs and repleace booting status (metaDOS or ExtendDOS can be started easiely after HD driver start, beffore NVDI and Magic on 100%). Try change sequences first...

Hi guys

895313[/snapback]

Well, like I said, for me the best way is turn *off* all ACCs, CPXs, and AUTO folder programs until I find where the culprit is.

I would just run HDDriver by itself. If you *don't* get the error message, then its not HDDriver.

Start adding things back, 1 at a time, and only 1 at a time. When you add 1 thing and get the error message, then you've found the problem.

HTHs.

895334[/snapback]

Agreed by far the best way... in the end probably quicker..

Nick

jfuk_black.gif

Edited by Nick Harlow

• 3 weeks later...

Now that I've got the hard drive up and running and magic installed, how do I get the cd rom drive to work. HD driver see's the drive with out a problem, but I can't get a drive icon, what do I need to get it to work, I really want it just to transfer larger files that won't fit on floppy???

Now that I've got the hard drive up and running and magic installed, how do I get the cd rom drive to work.  HD driver see's the drive with out a problem, but I can't get a drive icon, what do I need to get it to work, I really want it just to transfer larger files that won't fit on floppy???

909257[/snapback]

Well, I use ExtenDOS Gold by Anodyne Software, but it is a commercial solution. Others on this list maybe able to help you with free alternatives.

BTW, is the CD an IDE or SCSI device?

See ya.

cheers guys, the cd drive is ide by the way, I use the wizztronics ide adaptor to give he 2  ide devices.

Extendos gold, does it support ide cd roms?

909395[/snapback]

So you're using a Falcon, correct? I've got one of those Wizztronics devices as well, but I don't have an IDE CDROM. I've got my 80 gig HD hooked up to it.

Go here for more info:

http://www.anodynesoftware.com/

but I believe it does, see below:

"easy installation and reconfiguration via a GEM-based installation program

compatibility with Atari TOS-based systems (and compatibles)

comprehensive Atari operating system compatibility, including MiNT, MagiC, and Geneva compatibility with most SCSI and ATAPI/IDE CD-ROM drives, including those requiring SCSI arbitration high performance through optimised assembler-language coding and caching of active CD-ROM sectors support for most CD-ROM formats, including mixed-case and long filenames a full-function audio CD player, invoked as a desk accessory or program audio CD "quick-play": play a track or an entire disk directly from the desktop direct audio CD-to-disk copying with comprehensive controls for selecting the audio data CD recorder support (CD creation requires CD Writer Suite)

an extremely stable and well-tested environment."

There is a compatibilty list on the website.

HTHs! :-)