IGNORED

FINALLY!

shadow460

you can take the cart apart and reverse the peg legs or you can get a knife and nip the ends of the pegs off...or you can just use a 2600, you can usually get them compleate for $15 at a flea market (in my area).

There are directions for the first two methods around somewhere, I suggest searching "Tigervision" in just ythe 7800 forum, it sould come up.

So it's kinda like removing postage stamps with a kettle.

Check it--I just got the FB2 for the sticks.

They work with the 7800, and they are really tight.

That was definitely a closer step to true retrogaming. Combine today's technology for crystal clear audio/visual and tight controllers with the programming of yesterday.

That just gives me a small little feeling of excitement...

Anyone who hasn't decided on an FB2 yet needs to just get one and use the sticks.

I'd have paid $30 for the one stick alone.

Too bad it doesn't come with paddles, too.

• 2 weeks later...

First mod! It was to the cart port to allow Imagic, Activision and other third party carts to fit easily.

First of all, the vital stuff:

My 7800 has the extra timing circuit removed, and it looks professionally done. It's been opened before--this is the only way I think a screw base would have broken off. I fixed that with super glue.

It has the MARIA soldered in place. It has an expansion port opening in the RF shield but no sign of the port on the outside.

In all likelihood, it is a Tramiel/third version model.

I may add a TV Type switch to is soon if I can make it look good.

The mod I did was to the cart port, though, and Imagic titles now fit like a glove. I gotta fix Fathom, though--it still doesnt work. I think I need to retouch all the solder joints on its board.

I opened the 7800 down to the mainboard, checking for damage and dust as I went. In the process of removing the RF shield, I took a screw loose from the heatsink behind the cart slot, which broke the thermal seal between that heat sink and its component. To fix the seal, I simply bolted the component and heatsink back together.

Removing the cart port's sleeve was easy once I found out how. I searched for it in these forums, and found out I simply needed to flip the mainboard over, peel off the masking tape near the cart port, and remove the two screws underneath the tape. Then I simply pushed in the pins and popped off the sleeve.

I could have left the sleeve off, but I would not be able to use carts with a locking dust cover. Instead, I cut the lower corners completely out of the outer part of the sleeve. Making a relief cut in these will do the same trick, but I wanted to be sure they were outta the way.

I tested the fit with a Solar Storm cart and a Millipede cart with a locking cover. They both still fit.

I reassembled the 7800 and plugged in several carts. Solar Storm works well (it is a very clean cart anyway), Pole Position II still jams the slot, and BallBlazer is running right now to try and stress whatever component that is with the heatsink so I will know if it's going to fail.

Note that the tightest fitting carts I have now are the 7800 ones. Imagic fits way, way better than these. I have no Tigervision carts yet.

Although Pole Position II still jams the slot, it does work like normal.

I typed out this whole message while BallBlazer was running, and no failure. I assume the heatsink is attatched to a voltage regulator, and the POKEY chip is drawing extra electricity through it. If that's the case, I've tested it well.