IGNORED

German members: Ever heard of this game?

slapdash

I've been talking to a German fellow who swears he saw a small ad in an old video magazine (that's video mag, not videogame mag) for a Sgt. Rock game. I've never heard of such a thing here, where it would be more likely, I should think.

Does ANYONE out there remember seeing anything like this?

i haven't heard of this one ... not for the 2600 ....

unfortunately i don't have my catalogs here anymore, they're on their way to albert to get scanned and posted here.

and my VCR is broken, so i can't check the one video mag that i have ...

maybe end of the week ...

greetings

fish

quote:

Sgt. Rock: On the Front Line is a great game. But it was great when it first hit the arcades in 1983 as Taito's Frontline. It was great when the same company put it out for the Atari 2600 under the same name. But Sgt. Rock had nothing to do with it then, and he has nothing to do with it now.

Frontline was one of the first games to let your character roam about the entire field rather than follow a specific path. The action unfolds from south to north; you move through a terrain studded with trees and rivers, explosive barrels, and other obstacles, while dozens of enemy infantrymen and grenadiers try to take you out.

You also work through four levels, with terrain ranging from jungles to highways and forts to factories. Though you're primarily an infantryman, you're not always hoofin' it. At various points, you can climb inside a tank, a four-wheel-drive truck, or into a boat.

When you're on foot, you'll always have two weapons with unlimited ammo: a rifle that can be powered up to a machine gun, a rocket launcher, grenades, and dynamite. The sad news is, the bad guys have stuff too, from standard-issue guns, grenades, trucks, and tanks. Even the snakes and crocodiles are against you.

The game's only real drawback--aside from the fact that it's a Sgt. Rock game without Sgt. Rock--is that your character can only withstand a single hit. Bang! You're dead, and that's it. No shot to the foot, no grazed elbows, no bullet in the shoulder that would slow down, but not stop, the great Rock. Just one shot, and you're off to the Great Arcade in the Sky. Fortunately, you start back right where you stopped, but the limited number of lives makes the journey to the end of each level arduous and frustrating.

that's it probably ...

The way I'm reading that, no, it isn't... This line in particular:

quote:

But Sgt. Rock had nothing to do with it then, and he has nothing to do with it now.

...would seem to rule it out, though the text leading up to that part DO certainly make it sound like the same thing.

Still, an interesting paragraph there, which I think I will use in my response to the question when I print it in 26C. Thanks much for pointing that out!