IGNORED

Any info on this Power Player?

COMTARI

I was checking the thrift stores today and I came across something I haven't seen before. It was one of those plug and play "Super Joy Power Player". It looks almost exactly like a dreamcast controller with the white color and pastel buttons. I've seen the power players that resemble the N64 controllers, and I've noticed how "cheap" the buttons and even the plastic casing feels.

This unit is well made and heavy duty, More solid feeling than the controllers even on the PS2, XBOX and GCube. There is a dust covered cartridge slot at the top of the controller as oposed to the uncovered ones on the bottom of the N64 super joys. I assume that the cartridge slot is for famicom games as NES games won't fit. It can use batteries or an AC adapter. I paid $2.99 and took the game home. It has the 128 NES games (Super Mario, Tetris, Donkey Kong, Galaga, Millipied, Pacman, etc.) installed inside the game as no cart came with it.

It is a very fun game unit and I wanted to know if anyone had any more information on it or knew where to find more of the same unit?

I was checking the thrift stores today and I came across something I haven't seen before.  It was one of those plug and play "Super Joy Power Player".  It looks almost exactly like a dreamcast controller with the white color and pastel buttons.  I've seen the power players that resemble the N64 controllers, and I've noticed how "cheap" the buttons and even the plastic casing feels.

This unit is well made and heavy duty,  More solid feeling than the controllers even on the PS2, XBOX and GCube.  There is a dust covered cartridge slot at the top of the controller as oposed to the uncovered ones on the bottom of the N64 super joys.  I assume that the cartridge slot is for famicom games as NES games won't fit.  It can use batteries or an AC adapter.  I paid $2.99 and took the game home.  It has the 128 NES games (Super Mario, Tetris, Donkey Kong, Galaga, Millipied, Pacman, etc.) installed inside the game as no cart came with it.

It is a very fun game unit and I wanted to know if anyone had any more information on it or knew where to find more of the same unit?

904226[/snapback]

There is a similar looking unit being sold at Target. They sell it in the video/electronics area with the portable DVD players. They look just like Dreamcast (and even have a Dreamcast sounding name) I know there were several companies that licensed the Dreamcast technology (And some of the games) AFTER Sega ceased support. Anyone know if this is one of those?

They have several versions ranging from $29 to $49 (two player, I think).

If it was a "Super Joy Power Player", you ain't gonna find it at Target.

Sounds like another revision of the Super Joy, like the one with the N64-style controller. Does it have the second controller and gun too?

If it was a "Super Joy Power Player", you ain't gonna find it at Target.

Sounds like another revision of the Super Joy, like the one with the N64-style controller.  Does it have the second controller and gun too?

905568[/snapback]

No, this is what I am talking about: dreamGear@Target

There is only one listed on the web site now, but they had a two player version in the store once upon a time.

Edited by George Gray

Hi,

The DreamGear TV pads use, as far as I know, the classic NES-On-A-Chip chips, but I believe they contain only (quite new) legal games, so they do not contain any classic hits like Super Mario Bros, etc, but only non-Nintendo-licensed new 8-bit games.

See DreamGear website for a bit more info. They mainly release accessoires for consoles like joypads for the PS2, XBOX, etc.

Btw, see Shtree's FamiClones website for probably the biggest list/pictures of unlicensed, pirated FamiClones like the SuperJoy.

Edited by vvdleun

Hi,

The DreamGear TV pads use, as far as I know, the classic NES-On-A-Chip chips, but I believe they contain only (quite new) legal games, so they do not contain any classic hits like Super Mario Bros, etc, but only non-Nintendo-licensed new 8-bit games.

See DreamGear website  for a bit more info. They mainly release accessoires for consoles like joypads for the PS2, XBOX, etc.

Btw, see Shtree's FamiClones website for probably the biggest list/pictures of unlicensed, pirated FamiClones like the SuperJoy.

905687[/snapback]

Ah! Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll leave this one alone. I was kind of hoping it was one the 'legit' dreamcast clones. Sigh. One thing about that website: the game lists appear to be missing. I guesss that is a big clue.

Now, where is the Channle F all in one? ;)

Thanks for everyone's help. The system seems to be the power player (dc). The gun and the second controller were not included, but the game is still fun to play. I think it was worth the $3 I spent on it. Found another suprise at the thrift store when I checked today. There were two original (not flashback) Atari 2600 joysticks. These were in perfect condition and $1.99 each. As far as I could tell, they seemed like they were never used!!! Where do perfect decades old Atari controllers come from? I busily searched the rest of the store to find an almost new 2600, 2600 jr or 7800, but all I could find were an asteroids and swordquest fireworld carts. Well I did get a Genesis with power supply and controllers for $9.

post-6646-1123392322_thumb.jpg