IGNORED

Built-in games: quantity or quality?

Flojomojo

For a dedicated system, what's better? Loads of games, or a carefully chosen selection?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. For a dedicated system, what's better? Loads of games, or a carefully chosen selection?

• Only EVERYTHING will do! (MAME, MESS, other unlicensed emulators)
    • As many as you can fit, everything you own the rights to! The world is not enough! 50+ games (Atari Anthology, Activision Anthology)
    • A healthy selection, carefully screened! 20-40 games (Midway Arcade Treasures, Atari Flashback)
    • A small, targeted selection! (Namco Museum, Jakks Pacfic sticks, Williams Arcade, Konami Arcade)
    • A couple of extra games as a bonus (Tekken 5's arcade bonuses, XBOX Live Arcade throwing in Ms. Pac-Man, Rebel Strike's arcade mode)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I'm torn between the question of quality vs. quantity.

Flashback 2 and Activision Anthology have a nice round selection, but I wish they had it all in one place. I'm too greedy to be completely satisfied with limits.

On the other hand, I'd love to see a huge list of games, but after a certain point, it becomes ineffective to scroll through them all, and you won't really play them all after a certain point. Those pirate Famicom machines and emulators are fun for a while, but in some ways, less is more and it's nice to have someone make a selection.

Personally, I like the way Midway and Atari have done it -- largish selections of quality games, lots of variety, and few repeats between releases. I resent the Namco Museum releases, which have milked the same 6 games over and over again, even though we know they have other interesting, less popular games to share.

What do you want to see in future compilations?

American mentality would say "Everything you can put on it! Big, proud and loud!" :lol: Nothing wrong with that, just ask anyone who has built a MAME cab :)

I think a moderate sized (more big than small) would be the sweet spot. That way you get the best of both worlds: you hopefully get some of the best games, and yet feel that warm, fuzzy feeling when you collect many games.

I don't quite know how to vote on this. As long as the games are original(as in the FB2), I guess I'd prefer a big collection.

If the choice was between original/small collection VS redone/huge collection, I'd definitely would go with the smaller/original.. So it's quality over quantity in this instance..

I'd rather have a system with a cart port (even if it's just for 'offical release' stuff) so I could buy proprietary carts with 10-20 games on each. That way, you can get as many games as you want, and the system becomes collectable.