IGNORED

New COLECO - Head To Head dedicated system

birdie3

I saw this dedicated unit in Wal-Mart last night when I was checking to see if they had the FB2. This new Coleco system has roughly 20 built in games, none of which appeared to be Colecovision games. Instead, they all seemed to be brand new games which I had never seen. Games like Kung-Fu, Breakout, Baseball and quite a few others. The system comes in a plastic suitcase sort of container. It actually looked pretty lame but who knows for sure what it is like. It almost looks like they are trying to just sell a unit that captures the spirit of late seventies style retro gaming but with completely new games and a new system. Has anyone else seen this yet or perhaps purchased one?

Was it from TechnoSource? They don't seem to have anything other than Coleco handhelds on their website, but Walmart seems to get stuff before some marketing depts catch on -- like the Atari flashback 2.

http://www.technosourceusa.com/products.htm

If you visit http://colecovision.com/, there's another lame-sounding rehash coming from them, too.

There's a little desperation in the marketplace, throwing up so much crap and hoping to hit something, isn't there? The good plug and plays are selling because of their names -- either familiar games (Atari, Mortal Kombat, Pac-Man), characters (Spongebob, Batman, Star Wars), or proven fun things (poker, Genesis football). I really don't think anyone's looking for Campaign '84, Quest for Quintana Roo, or Meteoric Shower in a handheld.

This was a Riverwest Brands (or something like that) release. Apparently they own the rights to use the Coleco name. This is definately not a Colecovision and those lame assed games were not on it. It is a retro styled dedicated system with 20 or so original and clone type games that are styled to look and play like early eighties console games. It's hard to say if they used a z80 or what type of machine it is. I am thinking of getting it. It's only $22 Canadian.

Here's one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/COLECO-HEAD-TO-HEAD-VI...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by birdie3

system comes in a plastic suitcase sort of container

Whoah... looks cool to me. I never heard of those things. That "look" you describe harkens back to their Head to Head handhelds type of look but yet plays tv games. Interesting.

IMG_2959_sm.jpg 9c_1_b.JPG

Edited by NE146

The big problem here would be that the majority of games people remember the Colecovision for were licensed from other sources. I doubt Nintendo is too interested in a Coleco stand alone with Donkey Kong, Just like Namco and Jakks probably wouldn't let a 2600/5200/7800 standalone with Ms. Pac-Man see the light of day.

Saw that at walmart too.. Also trying to find the FB2. There were actually like 10 new (to me, anyway) all-in-one joypad/stick games there, including the Coleco one, which has a little plastic carrying case... wonder what hardware is being used? Is it a Z80/TI Gfx chip like the original? Could you mod it and load CV roms?

Also saw what looks like a pretty good Mortal Combat arcade handheld, and a Genesis compilation. All were like $18.

These things must be selling pretty well...

Edited by hookem

Saw that at walmart too.. Also trying to find the FB2.  There were actually like 10 new (to me, anyway) all-in-one joypad/stick games there, including the Coleco one, which has a little plastic carrying case... wonder what hardware is being used?  Is it a Z80/TI Gfx chip like the original?  Could you mod it and load CV roms?

Also saw what looks like a pretty good Mortal Combat arcade handheld, and a Genesis compilation.  All were like $18.

905532[/snapback]

Nothing Colecovision about these. They are all 'original' games from Technosource. Technosource licensed the Coleco name from Riverwest. Ironically, 'Colecovision' - both the name and the game console along with the origninal games - are owned by a different company. From what I remember, Coleco pulled a Mattel and sold the video game unit to another company who in turned raped and then sold it. I *THINK* Telegames now owns the name and rights to it. I read somewhere last year that there was, in fact, a x in one unit coming out with 'genuine' Colecovision games (Better than the Inty thing, I hope.)

The Wal-Marts in the Richmond, VA area have these head to head things. They have both the video game units as well as the LED games. Those are pretty cool and look just like the old hand helds did. Clever martketing. The video game thing looks like it only has sports games and are of the NES era or so they seem.

Anyone notice the Madden Football plug and play on Wal-Mart's site for $5.00?

Have'nt seen an FB2 yet.

Saw that at walmart too.. Also trying to find the FB2.  There were actually like 10 new (to me, anyway) all-in-one joypad/stick games there, including the Coleco one, which has a little plastic carrying case... wonder what hardware is being used?  Is it a Z80/TI Gfx chip like the original?   Could you mod it and load CV roms?

Also saw what looks like a pretty good Mortal Combat arcade handheld, and a Genesis compilation.  All were like $18.

905532[/snapback]

Nothing Colecovision about these. They are all 'original' games from Technosource. Technosource licensed the Coleco name from Riverwest. Ironically, 'Colecovision' - both the name and the game console along with the origninal games - are owned by a different company. From what I remember, Coleco pulled a Mattel and sold the video game unit to another company who in turned raped and then sold it. I *THINK* Telegames now owns the name and rights to it. I read somewhere last year that there was, in fact, a x in one unit coming out with 'genuine' Colecovision games (Better than the Inty thing, I hope.)

The Wal-Marts in the Richmond, VA area have these head to head things. They have both the video game units as well as the LED games. Those are pretty cool and look just like the old hand helds did. Clever martketing. The video game thing looks like it only has sports games and are of the NES era or so they seem.

Anyone notice the Madden Football plug and play on Wal-Mart's site for $5.00?

Have'nt seen an FB2 yet.

905563[/snapback]

Well, there! I just went to the colecovision.com site. I guess Telegames is working with RiverWest then. I suppose Technosource will be the manufacturer.

hmm...

Yer right...it's not CV.

D'oh!

Still, it's classic style  :)

906004[/snapback]

Oh yeah, it's quite retro. The case, the packaging, everything. Looks like would be right at home in Toys R Us circa 1979. THe LED games look terrific as well.

There is also a single player video game as well. RiverWest seems to be handling the brand nicely. I suppose the true test is the game play. Heck, I might buy them and leave them in the package. It's retro chic. ;)

This was a Riverwest Brands (or something like that) release. Apparently they own the rights to use the Coleco name. This is definately not a Colecovision and those lame assed games were not on it. It is a retro styled dedicated system with 20 or so original and clone type games that are styled to look and play like early eighties console games. It's hard to say if they used a z80 or what type of machine it is. I am thinking of getting it. It's only $22 Canadian.

Here's one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/COLECO-HEAD-TO-HEAD-VI...1QQcmdZViewItem

905383[/snapback]

I guess there is a whole new niche programming market opening up for people to write games like these. This and the new 2600 titles. Maybe homebrewers can get a paid gig?

Edited by mos6507