IGNORED

My GENUINE heavy sixer is damaging my carts!

Adrian M

What's up with the cartridge slots on the Sunnyvale heavy sixers? I've read stories of some carts not fitting, but I have trouble getting even first generation Combat carts to go in without resorting to some forceful tactics.

It's not so much the difficulty in inserting or removing carts that has me concerned...it's the markings to the plastic cart casing and the imprints on the labels that really worries me. Every cart I've put in so far comes out with two small marks on the bottom-front of the cart casing. The labels in particular receive two small vertical line imprintings, regardless of how careful you are to insert and remove the game. While I love my newly acquired system, I am concerned about the damage it could cause to my cart collection and I may have to relegate this to being a museum-quality display unit.

Anyone else having similar problems and are there any solutions?

I actually have had similar problems with my 1983ish 4 switcher. Some games just don't want to go in, but when they do the label isn't damaged, I think its just the "prongs" on the carts are not making contact with the plastic "door" that protects the cartridge slot so that it opens when you push the cartridge in.

It could be in your case that the early models had slight variations in construction/mould casings, or that some game makers did not have the best quality mouldings for thier carts? You should open it up and try to see what the problem is, maybe it can be fixed like SmartPatrol advised....but the warranty may be void then..

[ 03-18-2002: Message edited by: StellasGhost ]

quote:

Originally posted by StellasGhost:

I actually have had similar problems with my 1983ish 4 switcher. Some games just don't want to go in, but when they do the label isn't damaged, I think its just the "prongs" on the carts are not making contact with the plastic "door" that protects the cartridge slot so that it opens when you push the cartridge in.

It could be in your case that the early models had slight variations in construction/mould casings, or that some game makers did not have the best quality mouldings for thier carts? You should open it up and try to see what the problem is, maybe it can be fixed like SmartPatrol advised....but the warranty may be void then..

[ 03-18-2002: Message edited by: StellasGhost ]

It's OK. I really don't want to mod this treasured system. I've been looking for a real Sunnyvale heavy sixer for a while and I'd like to keep it as original as possible.

quote:

Originally posted by Randy:

You could always set aside a batch of cartridges specifically for use on your heavy sixer. Then it wouldn't be so hard to watch 'em get scuffed. A few common classics like Combat, Space Invaders and Adventure would be nice.

Good suggestion. Thanks.