IGNORED

AvP, Daemonsgate for Lynx, and much more.

vanadium

AvP, possibly a new version:

z_Lynx_AvP_Proto.jpg

Obviously it's not the B&C copy. ;) This one differs a LOT from the B&C version. Namely, it has the Alien and it's earlier; an early demo of all three characters rather than a more fleshed-out two-character game. No weapons or enemies that I've seen, and each character has its own "radar-like" gadget similar to the Marine. (And it's almost more fun not getting stuck in front of random "enemies" like in the B&C version.)

How many other variants on this proto are there, and have any others been found with the Alien in it?

I also managed to grab the CES 1992 demo of Daemonsgate that Atari showed. It, too, is earlier than the B&C version but it's fun to run around in. It's clearly marked as "ATARI DEVCOPY" in the game itself when you start playing.

za_Lynx_Daemonsgate_Proto.jpg

Concluding the Lynx front, I also scored protos of Lemmings and Warbirds (the latter with cartoony illustrations rather than the digitized photos between levels). I can't tell if Lemmings is 100% or a WIP.

I obtained 8 Jaguar prototypes over the weekend as well, including the only known VidGrid cartridge and very early copies of Brett Hull Hockey and Barkley Shut Up & Jam (way earlier than B&C's). You can check out screens here:

http://www.op9.net/vg/full_collection/screens/

Cart pics for each of the protos can be found here near the end of the list:

http://www.op9.net/vg/index.php?dir=full_collection

Edited by vanadium

• 4 weeks later...
Is there some way that a uber-lynx programer\hacker might be able to dump the code from all these VERY different versions of AVP for the lynx and make a more completed version of the game out of all this code for it?

927347[/snapback]

As these are socketed standard EPROMS there should be no problem in

reading the content using a normal EPROM burner.

Of course you could combine stuff from different versions, but what's the

point. You need to get the real specs for the final game to be able to continue

developement on it.

--

Karri

Is there some way that a uber-lynx programer\hacker might be able to dump the code from all these VERY different versions of AVP for the lynx and make a more completed version of the game out of all this code for it?

927347[/snapback]

AvP seems like some kind of branch off from the "B&C" version; as mentioned, you can play as the Alien, but you don't have any options and the map is rudimentary compared to the later version. In the B&C version the Alien is non-existant, yet there's a good many more options.

It's really weird. I'm still trying to get my ass out of the first level but then again I haven't had a ton of time to play it enough to see if there's even another level available.

For Daemonsgate, I'd just love to figure out how to leave the damned city! ;) I've discovered a good many limitations on it, like buying weaponry that doesn't even go into your inventory (you're stuck with the dagger, foo!) and highly limited conversations. However, you can mix potions and royally mess yourself up in the process.

For Daemonsgate, I'd just love to figure out how to leave the damned city! ;) I've discovered a good many limitations on it, like buying weaponry that doesn't even go into your inventory (you're stuck with the dagger, foo!) and highly limited conversations. However, you can mix potions and royally mess yourself up in the process.

928384[/snapback]

I wrote a review for Daemonsgate some time ago for The Atari Times. Here's some tips that I included in that article:

1. Point Jornuli: Talk to the mayor of Tormis. Ask him about Point Jornuli, and he’ll offer some general comments. Talk to some other residents of Tormis, and ask them about the Civilized Lands and its outlying regions. Then leave town, and you’ll be offered the opportunity to go to Jornuli Point.

2. Anchor: Visit Joseph Halleck at the inn in Tormis, and ask him about Elsopean. He’ll tell you that Elsopean sometimes visits his in, but that he thinks that he’s now left for Anchor. You should now be able to visit Anchor after you leave the inn (but be sure to stop for a chat with Smelly Elliot outside the door before you do this).

3. Atteia: Visit the local inn in Anchor, and ask the innkeeper about Atteia. He’ll tell you that it’s a police state, and that you will need a permit to visit the town. Then ask him about permits in the "temporary" guide, and he’ll offer to give you one. You can then visit Atteia.

Finally, in the B&C release, you can equip yourself with other weapons, but they all have the same effect on monsters.

Edited by davidcalgary29

You can check out screens here:

http://www.op9.net/vg/full_collection/screens/

Where?

931419[/snapback]

d'oh! Bad url. That's what I get for upgrading the app and not doublechecking my links.

http://www.op9.net/vg/index.php/full_collection/

That'll give you pics of all the protos. There's also a directory at the top where I placed all the screens I've made of 'em called 'Prototype_Screenshots'. Hope this helps.

Edited by vanadium

• 3 months later...
Here's the dump for mine, I'm not sure if it's an original or a repro but it's on an original Atari EPROM board.

Enjoy.

Mitch

931636[/snapback]

I finally got to check your version out. I haven't been able to check out the B&C version, so I'm not entirely sure if there any differences there, but it's definitely not the same as mine.

• 3 months later...