IGNORED

Pre-Order Dallas vgXpo Homebrew Releases

Albert

news_vgxpo.pngAtariAge will be attending the 2005 Dallas vgXpo, taking place August 20th and 21st in Dallas, Texas, and we'll have several new homebrew titles for sale at the show. In addition, we'll be demoing several titles that are nearing completion. You can pre-order many of these titles in our store and we'll ship them to you as soon as they're available! Titles available for pre-ordering include:

For a complete list of all the games we'll have for sale at the show as well as those we'll be demonstrating, please stop by our AtariAge @ Dallas vgXpo pages. If you're at the show, please stop by and try your hand at some new Atari 2600, 5200, ColecoVision and Commodore 64 homebrews!

Just for clarification, we expect the following games to be available for sale at the show: Crazy Balloon, Poker Squares, Amiga Boing Demo 2.0, and Cynthcart. The others (RPS, Man Goes Down, and Spectar) are nearing completion (Spectar will probably be first out of the gate). We expect all of these titles to be completed shortly after the show. There are other games that should be available shortly after that as well, including the 2005 Minigame Multicart, CVDRUM DX2, and CVSYNTH.

..Al

Is Paul Slocum going to be there? I was listening to some MP3s from his band's web site, and I'd like to get a copy of Cabana while I'm there.

908342[/snapback]

Yes, Paul is going to be at the show, although he won't have a booth. However, we'll have copies of Cabana EP+ at our booth. :)

..Al

A guy that I used to work with got himself an Atari 2600, just so he could play the Homestar Runner RPG. And every time I run into him, he asks me if I've heard anything about it's release. So I'll probably heckle Paul with that at the show.  :)

913292[/snapback]

I also have a colleague who's been looking forward to this one. So, no pressure!

And since this is my first post ever in the AA forums... Allow myself to introduce... myself. My name is Lee Fastenau. I've been moderately active on the Stella list since early 2004 and am nearly finished with my first Atari 2600 game, Reflex, which Al has graciously offered to demo at vgXpo.

I live in San Antonio and wish I could go to Dallas this weekend in the worst way! A friend of mine said he will visit the AtariAge booth in my stead (actually, he was going to Dallas anyway to visit another friend, so it's really a bonus that he chose that weekend to go.) I'm currently being pummeled with Flash work by my employer, which I guess isn't such a bad thing to be pummeled with, eh? So that's what I'll be doing this weekend.

So that basically sums it up... (Let's see: used Austin Powers quote to break ice, lives relatively close to Austin [the city, not Powers], rubs virtual elbows with coding virtuosos on Stella list, looking to publish a cart, on a first name basis with Al, has cool "San Antonio is too small for me" friends, gainfully employed at a company cool enough to need mad Flash skillz, procrastinator... yep, it's all there... except...)

End of line (... the Tron quote)

Well, it had a pretty good turnout, but not like I expected. I thought it'd be a lot more crowded with gamers, honestly. The show was at the back of the big room that a "Home & Lifestyles" convention was in, so there were loads of people there who weren't really all that interested in classic gaming walking through, along with kids that parents dumped off around all the demo consoles for a while. It was pretty strange, watching someone dressed up in a giant blue teddy bear costume (a Blue Cross mascot, apparently) playing DDR. And a blimp flying overhead, dropping coupons for $2 off hockey tickets. Still, it was a great show.

Hey Flack & Steve,

No it wasn't crowded at all before you got there, or ever. Not sure what happened.

Still was pretty fun.

Lee, I like your Reflex game. It's a neat cconcept for sure. People were playing it with the joystick setting, and when Al pulled out some driving controllers...I couldn't wait to try it out. But, I was pretty disappointed. The response of the paddles were very slow and you had to turn like mad to get the paddles to move from one end of the playfield to the other. Was that intentional?

Otherwise, I enjoyed playing it.

Well, it had a pretty good turnout, but not like I expected.

915364[/snapback]

Was it much more crowded before I got there?

915589[/snapback]

Lee, I like your Reflex game.  It's a neat cconcept for sure.  People were playing it with the joystick setting, and when Al pulled out some driving controllers...I couldn't wait to try it out.  But, I was pretty disappointed.  The response of the paddles were very slow and you had to turn like mad to get the paddles to move from one end of the playfield to the other. Was that intentional?
Driving controllers only have 16 positions, so there isn't a lot of accuracy. I had a lot better luck "dialing" the knob with my finger. That worked pretty well as long as I didn't get confused about where the ball was going.

Lee, I like your Reflex game.  It's a neat cconcept for sure.  People were playing it with the joystick setting, and when Al pulled out some driving controllers...I couldn't wait to try it out.  But, I was pretty disappointed.  The response of the paddles were very slow and you had to turn like mad to get the paddles to move from one end of the playfield to the other. Was that intentional?

Otherwise, I enjoyed playing it.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

As Bruce mentioned, the driving controller is capable of registering only 16 distinct positions in a single rotation, but it does so in a peculiar and somewhat error-prone way. If you turn the controller too fast, it can potentially register a rotation in the wrong direction or even an ambiguous (could have gone either way) value...

This being my first game (let alone my first game using the driving controller), I too found myself somewhat disappointed in its performance and have worked a bit to mitigate its shortcomings... still, I've put the question out to the Stella developer list and I'll put it here...

Should I drop driving controller support and use the space for more levels/features or is it "good enough" to keep as an alternative control scheme?

-Lee

As Bruce mentioned, the driving controller is capable of registering only 16 distinct positions in a single rotation, but it does so in a peculiar and somewhat error-prone way.  If you turn the controller too fast, it can potentially register a rotation in the wrong direction or even an ambiguous (could have gone either way) value...

:idea: You could use some correction code, based on the previous direction. Then even a bit too fast rotation can be identified correctly.

EDIT: Maybe this should be move to a different forum.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

As Bruce mentioned, the driving controller is capable of registering only 16 distinct positions in a single rotation, but it does so in a peculiar and somewhat error-prone way.  If you turn the controller too fast, it can potentially register a rotation in the wrong direction or even an ambiguous (could have gone either way) value...
Except that is really quite unlikely precisely because there are only 16 positions per revolution. I was turning it as fast as I could and don't recall any glitches.

I can say that I really liked it once I learned to "dial" the knob with my finger, which took about five seconds to learn. In fact, at first I thought I was using a paddle controller and was trying to re-center before I hit the ends of the paddle.

Except that is really quite unlikely precisely because there are only 16 positions per revolution.  I was turning it as fast as I could and don't recall any glitches.

Perhaps I was testing my own driving controller too harshly or I hadn't cleaned the controller as well as I thought, because I was able to make it mis-register fairly often. It just doesn't seem like it would be too hard to spin it too fast... it would take only an eighth of a turn in one-sixtieth of a second to mis-register. Either way, I'll do some exploring and see if I can make any improvements... either to the game or to my controller. :)

I can say that I really liked it once I learned to "dial" the knob with my finger, which took about five seconds to learn.  In fact, at first I thought I was using a paddle controller and was trying to re-center before I hit the ends of the paddle.

915934[/snapback]

I'm really glad you were able to adapt and enjoy the game with the driving controller. Do you think having some technical knowledge of the hardware helped? If I can't improve the speed/reliability of the driving controller, I may add a blurb in the documentation about its limitations and maybe even include a "playing tip" about "dialing" the knob with your finger... which, by the way, sounds vaguely naughty. :D

But like Thomas said... this is going OT... I'll kick off another thread with the ROM for some serious playtesting. Hopefully I'll be able to do that tonight.

Thanks for the great comments.

-Lee

(Wait a minute! "Bruce" and "Lee" having a conversation... I have a screenshot of "Bruce Lee" as my photo... Coincidence? I think so!)

Edited by Thelbane