IGNORED

Will they hurt my cartridges?

Gryphon787

I have some Atari cart sized bags I use, not zip lock though. I just put a little tab of tape on the end. They have never damaged the labels yet.

I like the bags because I can pull out the carts and look at them without getting the label dirty. I normally don't play the games from my collection, I have a bunch of dupes I play as well as a 256 game Multi Cart, that just about covers it.

Joel-

You are using those archival comic-type bags, correct? (I thouht I saw you mention this before...)

If they are, I think that is a great solution for storage, and the bags shouldn't discolor the games at all.

Now on to Gryphon787's question: Zip-lock, or any other plastic bags could possibly do some damage. Non-archival plastics can leech chemicals after time, which could in turn possibly discolor labels. I don't know how long it would take, but I'd make sure to use archival materials nonetheless.

That's true. I also found that if you keep the carts in plastic ziploc bags for extended periods of time, the labels begin to unstick from the cart casing and sometimes you get air bubbles that form under some of the labels. Parker Brothers and Imagic games seem to suffer from bubbling the most.

Don't keep them anyplace warm either.

quote:

Originally posted by King Atari:

There! All of them are out! I didn't notice any discoloration, and the the one's in bags the longest were a few from mid/late summer (not Xeno or DD, those were just a few months bagged). Perhaps it takes a few years for this to happen?

It's definitely takes a few years. I had many of my 2600 games stored in Ziploc bags since 1987 and only recently removed them from storage. It's mostly just the labels that suffer from the bubbling and discoloration...all my carts work perfectly.

As a litmus test, I examined some new ziploc bags last night and they all seem to have a trace amount of oily residue on them, and they smell kind of like petroleum, so that may definitely what's causing the damage to the labels.

To protect your games, go with comic grade bags, buy some of those rubbermaid plastic box things with the snap tops, or just put them in a box and cover it.