IGNORED

How about a homebrew Flashback2

Now that all the work has been done to create the FB2 what are the chances of someone (Atari or AA) creating a version with nothing but homebrews? I like all the 2600 homebrews coming out and I like buying them in cartridge form but it would be nice to have an FB2 type system that had 40 or so homebrews. I'm sure with economies of scale being what they are AA might not be able to make and sell them for $29 but I would think they might be less than the $20 to $25 per cart I'm paying now. I'm sure there are legal issues and all with Atari for the design and so forth but I for one would love to see it.

Let's see. (legal issues aside). If you could not get them created the way the FB2 and has to buy and change the FB2. Bought in bulk at a wholesale price I'll guess $20 each for the FB2 (and that's probably high). With all the talent lurking these forums someone could create new menu software for the systems. replace the chip or chips on the boards (if that's possible) and pay some royalty to each homebrew programmer. say they sell for $80 and AA makes a small bit. 40 games at from the AA store at more than $20 bucks each on average seems to be more than $80. Maybe they sell for $100. Still cheaper.

My first thought of course would be more along the lines of creating the menu software and making some sort of deal with Atari to do a small run on there assembly line as the FB2 production winds down. If the FB2 is a big success Atari will probably want to create an FB3 and (while there are plenty of Atari games to choose from) perhaps they could be encouraged to include (even more) homebrew games on it.

Zylon, any reason why you are such a negative person?

Because it's so easy!

Besides, you have to admit this is a ludicrous idea in almost every regard. The legal and fabrication hurdles alone seem insurmountable. Maybe if the FB2 used standard DIP ICs someone could get away with selling a simple mod kit, but the blob-o-epoxy mounting Atari used makes any surgery a nontrivial operation.

Hopefully the FB3 (if any) will include some kind of card slot, or maybe even a USB port. Imagine keychain USB flash drives shaped like little 2600 cartridges! Eh, I know I'm just dreaming. The FB series is toy-department fodder.

I would actually rather see the homebrews stay as they are, with 1 or 2 perhaps being included in future Atari projects. Besides, most people will buy the FB2 and other systems like it simply for the nostalgia factor. Rest assured that the homebrews and sequels were probably included more for us old die hards than the casual 2600 fan.

Zylon, I like the idea of flash carts in the shape of mini 2600 carts!

• 4 weeks later...
I would actually rather see the homebrews stay as they are, with 1 or 2 perhaps being included in future Atari projects. Besides, most people will buy the FB2 and other systems like it simply for the nostalgia factor. Rest assured that the homebrews and sequels were probably included more for us old die hards than the casual 2600 fan.

Zylon, I like the idea of flash carts in the shape of mini 2600 carts!

910138[/snapback]

Not mini, but a USB Atari Cart :)

http://www.blueharvestcds.com/pacman/

Corey

• 3 weeks later...