IGNORED

Qestion for 5200, 7800 & 800 programmers

Cybergoth

Hi there guys!

I'd like to know from the guys programming for the above mentioned systems, why they're doing it.

I'm assuming, some of them are just doing it to get back in gear, so that later they can programm for the 2600. Right?

Or what else is your motivation to programm for the big ones?

I'd like to have answers from all of you, but at least from: Alan Davis, Caféman, Calamari, OldGuru, Tempest, Dutchman,

Heaven, Anthony Bufort & Fox!

(Copied the names straight from the "In development" page )

Greetings,

Manuel

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Jentzsch:

I'm not sure if all are reading this board, perhaps you should post this question into the special boards and the Programming board too.

[ 03-22-2002: Message edited by: Thomas Jentzsch ]

Oh, I thought everybody is at least reading this board

Greetings,

Manuel

I have been looking into the 5200 too even though I'm not on the "In development" page.

I started looking into the 5200 because of Tempest. Tempest posted a question about 5200 programming and he sparked my interest. I loved programming my 8-bit and knew that the 5200 was the Atari400 with some register changes. After doing research on the system I got really interested in it. Plus as Dutchman pointed out there were no homebrews for this system. There was also very little documentation or tutorials. This is what started my original project of making a game and releasing the source code so others can program the 5200 easier. Unfortunately, I have not picked that project up in a while. Plus all of my hobby time lately has been devoted to the 5200 Tempest Disassembly Project. Once this gets done then this could be used as an example anyway.

I would like to eventually go back to brainstorming for Stella but right now Stella and I don't get along too well As we know you have to be a good 6502 programmer to get interesting things out of Stella.

My reasons are much like DEBRO's. No homebrews had been made, I took it as a challenge since there was very little documentation back then (now there is plenty, only 1 year!). Plus, the 5200 was my favorite system from the 80's. It's got enough audio/video capabilities to make an interesting game, especially with a 32K cart.

I have no intention of ever programming a 2600 game, it's an entirely different world from 5200/8bit coding and I don't think I would make anything good. However, I could see myself perhaps making hacks of a few games. My kudos to those able to make 2600 games, what a formidable challenge!

(_)3 Caféman