IGNORED

Millipede on the Flashback 2 - which v. did u get?

Apparently, there are two different versions of Millipede on the Flashback 2. Which did you get? Go to http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/millipede/gccproto.htm to see the differences.  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Apparently, there are two different versions of Millipede on the Flashback 2. Which did you get? Go to http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/millipede/gccproto.htm to see the differences.

• [img]http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/millipede/atariplayer.png[/img]I got the Atari version, with the blocky shooter and the DDT bombs!
    • [img]http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/millipede/gccplayer.png[/img]I got the GCC version, with the space-ship shaped shooter and the taller mushrooms!

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I got the Atari version, even though the manual implies the unit is running the GCC version. Fine with me, since the Atari version is easier and doesn't have any problems with rolling the screen...Go here: http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/m...de/gccproto.htm to see the differences.

The Atari version:

s_Millipede_1.png

s_Millipede_3.png

The GCC version:

gccmillipede_7.png

gccmillipede_5.png

The screenshot on the Atari FB2 page shows the GCC version, too.

2.jpg

Edited by Flojomojo

I got the Atari version...dammit. I was really looking forward to the GCC one.  :x

I'm glad I got the Atari version. I like it better. Maybe because it was done in house at Atari and not out sourced to GCC.

I wonder if the rumors are true about this game. I read that Atari told GCC not to do this game because they'd be doing it themselves and GCC did it anyway as a means to show they were better than Atari's programmers.

I got the Atari version...dammit. I was really looking forward to the GCC one.  :x

I'm glad I got the Atari version. I like it better. Maybe because it was done in house at Atari and not out sourced to GCC.

I wonder if the rumors are true about this game. I read that Atari told GCC not to do this game because they'd be doing it themselves and GCC did it anyway as a means to show they were better than Atari's programmers.

912337[/snapback]

This is what I was told. Basically GCC thought that if they did a version that Atari would go with it rather than their own. Atari may have actually been considering just that, but complaints from the Atari programmers made them change their minds. I've seen some internal vax mails on this subject, it's all rather interesting.

Personally either version is fine by me, they're both pretty much the same. The GCC version is a titch harder and faster, so I tend to like it a little more.

So how did different people get different versions? Is there some hidden select that we're not seeing, or are the chips actually different? I'd find it hard to believe that the game was switched in the middle of the first run. You'd think they would do something like that between runs...

Tempest

Yeah I got the Atari version which gets me a little miffed because I for all this time was expecting the GCC version. And of course almost all of us already have the original game, so it was to be one of those bonuses on the FB2.

Oh well. It's the first run and that's why I only bought one (with the full expectation of buying at least another one). So hopefully by the time I plunk down cash for another one, all the issues will be resolved... (and maybe it'll be cheaper :D)

My FB2 has the GCC version (which I can't play because the screen rolls) and no Quadrun voice. I'd be willing to trade it for one with the Atari version and working Quadrun voice (assuming there will be some among the non-Walmart FB2s when they show up next week). Anyone interested?

I have the Atari version (and no Quadrun voice), which is fine by me because it is so playable. I kind of think it's neat, too, that we are discovering different variations beyond the Quadrun voice issue. So assuming that was fixed somewhere down the road, there are at least 3 different versions of the ROM.

If I had payed $199 instead of $30 for it, I might be a bit miffed. But at less than the price of many single PC or console games, I find it kind of cool, and look forward to picking another one up later and seeing what it has...

Seems like the GCC version is more rare. Here is my theory -

There were a few, maybe even several, different runs of the ROM. Like they do with other parts, they used them all, even though they weren't the same. Probably to save money.

As the games are so tiny, I'd even venture to guess that both the GCC and Atari version might be on all the ROMs, along with the other "hidden" games. Maybe only the menu was modified to load the more solid Atari version in one of the runs.

My guess is we'll be finding things for many months to come...

Edited by hookem

So it looks like there are 2 versions out there so far:

No Voice with GCC Millipede

No Voice with Atari Millipede

I expect the voice issue was addressed (because Curt said it was) so we we will have one or both of the following:

Voice with GCC Millipede

Voice with Atari Millipede

Could there be 4 variations for collectors to pick up?

Edited by Lord Helmet

If the poll is to be believed, GCC Millipede seems to be the rare one. Presumably it was swapped out early (earlier than the voice fix) for the Atari version (cause it don't roll)

I'd assume the Voice-fixed versions would either be all-Atari, or possibly all-GCC, Since Thomas said its not easy to fix the scanline number in the GCC version (and eliminate roll), Atari-Grames will likely decide it's cheaper to tweak the part of the manual that says "Alternate Millipede" than make sure GCC 'Pede works right.

Maybe PAL FB2's will have GCC Millipede?

But QA has to make sure, that is constantly displays an even number of scanlines, which it doesn't now. Else color loss will occur on PAL systems.

Given that circuitry changes would be needed for a PAL 2600, how hard would it be to make the output of the color-phase counter be visible at address 7F? Then code could add an extra WSYNC when necessary before a VSYNC to ensure that there were always an even number of scan lines.