IGNORED

Testers needed - new release - GULKAVE

Time-Bandit

I've been hard at work for the past 10-14 days, disassembling the SG-1000 game

called Gulkave. All I can tell is that it was a big job! It's a 32K highly optimized assembly language game. Fortunately for me, the people who wrote this game knew how to program, so it was more organized than a lot of the other source code I've seen.

In case you don't know what Gulkave is, it's a side-scrolling space shooter. It was released in 1986, so it's fairly recent, and you can tell by the graphics and gameplay, it's absolutely fantastic!

I've been trying to find a small bug in the gameplay for the past 2 days, and today I finally found it, and the game is 99% playable. There's still a few bugs, and I'm hoping to iron them out by the end of the day/week.

I've done a few modifications in the SG-1000 source code, and I would need some volunteers to test the game. So if you're interested, send me a PM here and I will be giving you all the details.

Once the ironing out of the minor bugs will be finished, I will send out a copy of the game in (still) SG-1000 format. This will be the exact version that will be ported on the CV.

WARNING: It's a very fast paced arcade game... I've finished the first level, but that's it!

I'm wondering if I should design some sort of cheat mode in the cartridge that will be released because honestly, I don't see how anyone could ever finish this game, it's much too fast-paced.

Here are a few screenshots to whet your appetite:

GULKAVE1.png

GULKAVE2.png

GULKAVE3.png

GULKAVE4.png

Edited by Time-Bandit

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Yeah, I'd like to know how this one is coming along too. This should be posted in the Homebrew Discussion sub-forum, because it has more traffic than the CV Programming sub-forum...

Hi all. Since I posted my first message about Gulkave on the CV, I haven't done much work on it. 98% of it is done, there are just a few issues that I need to figure out.

For that, I needed to buy an EPROM emulator, which I will be ordering soon and will be continuing to work on it. I really want to get this game out to the Colecovision community. It's an awesome game!

Hi all. Since I posted my first message about Gulkave on the CV, I haven't done much work on it. 98% of it is done, there are just a few issues that I need to figure out.

For that, I needed to buy an EPROM emulator, which I will be ordering soon and will be continuing to work on it. I really want to get this game out to the Colecovision community. It's an awesome game!

Does your game fit within 32K? If so, perhaps Atarimax's USB CV cart would help you out just as well...

Does your game fit within 32K? If so, perhaps Atarimax's USB CV cart would help you out just as well...

Yes, it certainly does fit within 32K. A USB CV flash cart? Oh wow, where do I get it from???

Yes, it certainly does fit within 32K. A USB CV flash cart? Oh wow, where do I get it from???

Man, you HAVE been away, haven't you? :D

AtariMax.com

I have the USB cart myself, and it works like a charm! Don't hesitate to get one!

Yep, see what happens when you leave the scene for 6 months? I will order one this week-end, thanks for the link. BTW, I'm also from Montreal...

Just one question. When I have that cart connected to the CV, will it go directly and run my game when I send the .ROM file to the cart via the USB port, or do I have to press reset, select the .ROM image that I want and then execute it?

Yep, see what happens when you leave the scene for 6 months? I will order one this week-end, thanks for the link. BTW, I'm also from Montreal...

Yeah, I noticed. :) Do you speak french? Anyhow, perhaps you'll have Gulkave ready in time for the next Arcadia Festival, which will be held in Montreal, like last year. I'm still not sure what date it's going to happen this year, however... I'll be there, mostly to meet Daniel Bienvenu in person. :D

Just one question. When I have that cart connected to the CV, will it go directly and run my game when I send the .ROM file to the cart via the USB port, or do I have to press reset, select the .ROM image that I want and then execute it?

Here's how it works, in a nutshell:

1) Connect the USB cartridge to the PC with the included USB cable (The cart does NOT need to be plugged into the CV console when you do this).

2) Use the interface software (included on a CD with the USB cart) to select CV ROM images on your hard disk, and send them over to the USB cart.

3) The first "slot" of the USB cart contains the menu system. When you plug the cart into the CV and turn it on, the first thing you'll see is the menu. Select the ROM image you want (among those stored on the cart) with the standard CV controller, and the selected game boots up automatically.

Easy as 1-2-3, although I am leaving out some secondary details. If you have more questions, you should send a PM to "classics" (on the AtariAge forums). I'm sure he'll answer all your questions.

Yeah, I noticed. :) Do you speak french? Anyhow, perhaps you'll have Gulkave ready in time for the next Arcadia Festival, which will be held in Montreal, like last year. I'm still not sure what date it's going to happen this year, however... I'll be there, mostly to meet Daniel Bienvenu in person. :D

Here's how it works, in a nutshell:

1) Connect the USB cartridge to the PC with the included USB cable (The cart does NOT need to be plugged into the CV console when you do this).

2) Use the interface software (included on a CD with the USB cart) to select CV ROM images on your hard disk, and send them over to the USB cart.

3) The first "slot" of the USB cart contains the menu system. When you plug the cart into the CV and turn it on, the first thing you'll see is the menu. Select the ROM image you want (among those stored on the cart) with the standard CV controller, and the selected game boots up automatically.

Easy as 1-2-3, although I am leaving out some secondary details. If you have more questions, you should send a PM to "classics" (on the AtariAge forums). I'm sure he'll answer all your questions.

Yes, I speak french. Hopefully Gulkave will be ready by then. All I need is a proper way to test the ROM on the real thing. Your post answers my questions though and I believe that it might be a worthwile alternative to an EPROM emulator. Thanks for the info.

As for Arcadia, the retro/vintage room that the CCJVQ designed last year was really really nice. For me, it was the highlight of the show. I doubt I'd be going this year though, but maybe I'll change my mind at the last minute. Haven't seen Daniel since last year, so it might be a good thing to drop off.

Edited by Time-Bandit

Hopefully Gulkave will be ready by then. All I need is a proper way to test the ROM on the real thing. Your post answers my questions though and I believe that it might be a worthwile alternative to an EPROM emulator. Thanks for the info.

Happy to help. :)

As for Arcadia, the retro/vintage room that the CCJVQ designed last year was really really nice. For me, it was the highlight of the show. I doubt I'd be going this year though, but maybe I'll change my mind at the last minute. Haven't seen Daniel since last year, so it might be a good thing to drop off.
Well, if you can't attend, perhaps you can send the final version of the ROM file to Daniel via e-mail, and he can display it at the Arcadia show using his own CV USB cart.

I'm hoping to see demos of Steve Begin's latest CV work, namely Mr Do's Wild Ride, Pacar and his Wizard Siege homebrew. Anything CV-related will be great to see at the show. :D

Hopefully Gulkave will be ready by then. All I need is a proper way to test the ROM on the real thing. Your post answers my questions though and I believe that it might be a worthwile alternative to an EPROM emulator. Thanks for the info.

Happy to help. :)

Well, if you can't attend, perhaps you can send the final version of the ROM file to Daniel via e-mail, and he can display it at the Arcadia show using his own CV USB cart.

I'm hoping to see demos of Steve Begin's latest CV work, namely Mr Do's Wild Ride, Pacar and his Wizard Siege homebrew. Anything CV-related will be great to see at the show. :D

I'd love to be able to say that I've finished the game and it's ready to be released! Started work on it about 10 months ago, and it still hasn't seen the light of day.

Arcadia is still far away, so who knows what will happen until then...