IGNORED

CyberStella First Public Release

Albert

http://sourceforge.net/projects/stella/Manuel Polik (author of Gunfight and the upcoming Starfire) has released the first public version of CyberStella, a new Windows version of Stella to replace the aging StellaX that is no longer in development. CyberStella includes the Xype games Gunfight, Thrust, Qb, and Jammed built-in. Future versions of CyberStella will include additional homebrew games as authors ask them to be included. You can download CyberStella here to try it for yourself.

[ 05-12-2002: Message edited by: Albert ]

quote:

Originally posted by JimC:

Has anyone gotten an error message 'stella.pro not found in working directory'? I'm missing a file, but I'm not sure where to get it. After this pop-up window, I can't play any of my ROMs.

You can download the latest Stella.pro from Voch's Stella Profile Page. Just stick it in the same directory as CyberStella and you should be all set. I presume later versions of CyberStella will include a version of the Stella.pro, but that's a question for Manuel.

..Al

Great thing. I have first search the built in games, but found them fast. And I think the commercial window is a great think for the programmers. If you like the games very much, you can buy them and play on real Atari console.

It's the same with Demo games. Sometimes they have too windoes with buy it options. So you can't play Demo or previews too.

quote:

Originally posted by AtariKee:

Cool stuff, but I think we could do without the spam everytime we play one of the homebrew games. Maybe once or twice is enough. After that it gets annoying. But good work nevertheless!

Hi AtariKee!

Since it's telling you the price and where to get the particular game, I can't count those messages global. But if it's really such an annoyance, I'll limit it to maybe three times per game. I just thought that the one additional enter/click wouldn't hurt

Oh, BTW: Since nobody mentioned that: The included Jammed version is not(!) a version with just a few demo levels, but it's the full version, made publically available by Thomas for the first time to celebrate the relaunch of the windows version of Stella

Greetings,

Manuel

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

You can download the latest Stella.pro from
Voch's Stella Profile Page
. Just stick it in the same directory as CyberStella and you should be all set. I presume later versions of CyberStella will include a version of the Stella.pro, but that's a question for Manuel.

Thanks for posting the link. A brandnew stella.pro is required to get the proper settings for Thrust and Jammed, both of which are updated or new versions not recognised by older stella.pros

I'm sure there'll be an official Cyberstella distributuion with an updated stella.pro soon.

Greetings,

Manuel

quote:

Originally posted by Cybergoth:

A brandnew stella.pro is required to get the proper settings for Thrust and Jammed, both of which are updated or new versions not recognised by older stella.pros

Actually, the current Stella profile contains no special information for Thrust or Jammed outside of some screen positioning information. The games just require the new Stella 1.2 core to be played. It's also a nicity to have the Stella profile recognize the ROMs by checksum.

Let me know if the Stella profile is deficient in any way for these or any other games. My e-mail is in the Stella profile file header.

BTW: great work on Cybrerstella! Now I can play Pitfall II: Lost Caverns at work.

Cybergoth: feel free to bundle the Stella profile file with Cyberstella. I'm constantly updating the information in the file but bundling a baseline file is cool, too.

Voch

[ 05-10-2002: Message edited by: Voch ]

Hi, I'm one of the core developers of Stella, and the maintainer for the Linux versions.

I just wanted to say that the newest version of Cyberstella 1.2 is available from the new Stella Webpage.

This is the same version that has been recently announced here, but it also includes some extra documentation and the latest stella.pro file.

For all future versions of Stella, please visit previously mentioned web site.

Thanks,

Steve Anthony (co-developer of Stella)

quote:

Originally posted by Atari2600Phreak:

Where can the source code be downloaded, since the project is based on the GPL Stella code?

Steven just posted the link to the official Stella page - right above your post.

If you follow it, you'll find that you're in SourceForge then and that's of course where the source is located.

Greetings,

Manuel

quote:

Originally posted by Cybergoth:

Steven just posted the link to the official Stella page - right above your post.

If you follow it, you'll find that you're in SourceForge then and that's of course where the source is located.

Greetings,

Manuel

That'll teach me to grab the tarball and not check the CVS archive--thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Nice job on Gunfight, BTW--fired up CyberStella and tried it out. Amazing how well that little guy shoots!

Checked out your Star Fire page--also very cool. I remember playing that in a storefront that had computer games (you could rent time on a SOL-20 {!}), and a sit-down Star Fire.

I am having a problem with cyberstella. When I launch a game, the top and bottom of the screen is trash. I tried unchecking the video option and with that unchecked, the whole screen is trash. I am running win2k pro sp2, dx8 with a vodoo banshee based creative labs 3d blaster card. Any ideas?

Chris

quote:

Originally posted by chrisr:

I am having a problem with cyberstella. When I launch a game, the top and bottom of the screen is trash. I tried unchecking the video option and with that unchecked, the whole screen is trash. I am running win2k pro sp2, dx8 with a vodoo banshee based creative labs 3d blaster card. Any ideas?

I've seen this before, but it went away after Re-Installing DX8 and updating my graphics card with DX8 compliant drivers.

Sounds like a lame excuse, I know. But actually I didn't yet touch any of the DirectX code of the original StellaX, so I don't think I broke anything here.

Just out of curiosity, is the display of the old StellaX 1.1.3a on your machine similar trashed or is it Ok?

I'm planing to upgrade the DX code itself to DX8 in one of the next Cyberstella versions, maybe then the problem disappears.

BTW: I'd be very happy if anyone with more sense of DX programming than me would join the Stella developers team and help/teach me doing this stuff. I'll do it on my own, but any help would surely speed things up...

Greetings,

Manuel