IGNORED

VGXPO - Atari Watches...

Curt Vendel

For those who were asking about the Atari/Fossil watches I had brought to display at VGXPO, here is the direct link on the Fossil site, though they are only showing the limited edition Asteroids one and not the regular 2600 Asteroids, Breakout and Centipede watches:

Atari/Fossil - Limited Edition Asteroids Watch

Curt

For those who were asking about the Atari/Fossil watches I had brought to display at VGXPO, here is the direct link on the Fossil site, though they are only showing the limited edition Asteroids one and not the regular 2600 Asteroids, Breakout and Centipede watches:

Atari/Fossil - Limited Edition Asteroids Watch

Curt

918529[/snapback]

I wish there were some video clips. It's not at all obvious how to play them.

I wish there were some video clips.  It's not at all obvious how to play them.

918551[/snapback]

I knew I'd read this somewhere...according to Gizmodo, they're not playable. Disappointing, but it'd be hard to play with one hand anyway. =)

And of course, they only offer it with a leather strap, which I wouldn't buy...

Edited by Jacob Rose

I wish there were some video clips.  It's not at all obvious how to play them.

918551[/snapback]

I knew I'd read this somewhere...according to Gizmodo, they're not playable. Disappointing, but it'd be hard to play with one hand anyway. =)

And of course, they only offer it with a leather strap, which I wouldn't buy...

918568[/snapback]

Then it's misleading:

"Dial animates and plays the game Asteroids on a black background."

Then it's misleading:

"Dial animates and plays the game Asteroids on a black background."

918604[/snapback]

Definitely! Especially since there aren't any disclaimers. Even if it didn't actually say "play" there ought to be a caveat on the page. Since Asteroids is a well-known game, and the nature of games involves play, most people will assume it's playable.

Yes, I can see how them say Play would infer "to be able to play a game" perhaps saying Display Animation would be a better choice for them...

Thats marketing, I'm only engineering ;-)

Its weird, I thought more people were going to be disapointed that they are more fashion statements and not game watches, but most people who looked at them liked the idea better that they were not games as they said to me, it would've cheapened them. Everyone has their own opinion, but the watches got a lot of eyebrows raised when people walked by, let me see if I can capture some video and post it, the colors are really nice and rich and the animation is really cool.

Curt

Hiya Curt! Are non-Asteroids watches less expensive? I would imagine that they're styled differently. Any idea how much those are going to retail for?

I would have imagined that the gameplay backgrounds of those watches would all be black and white, but you're saying that some are in color? Whoa! Any details or pics would be much appreciated. I love watches, even if I'm never actually on time anywhere. :)

Edited by gulag picture radio

Hiya Curt!  Are non-Asteroids watches less expensive?  I would imagine that they're styled differently.  Any idea how much those are going to retail for? 

I would have imagined that the gameplay backgrounds of those watches would all be black and white, but you're saying that some are in color?  Whoa!  Any details or pics would be much appreciated.  I love watches, even if I'm never actually on time anywhere.  :)

918687[/snapback]

Some of the samples sent to my offices actually had price tags on them for the other 3 regular edition watches -2600 (color Asteriods), breakout and Centipede and they were marked $75-$80

Curt

Its weird, I thought more people were going to be disapointed that they are more fashion statements and not game watches, but most people who looked at them liked the idea better that they were not games as they said to me, it would've cheapened them.  Everyone has their own opinion, but the watches got a lot of eyebrows raised when people walked by, let me see if I can capture some video and post it, the colors are really nice and rich and the animation is really cool.

Actually, the first thing I thought was "if we're supposed to play them, it's gonna be awful hard to control even if you take the watch off". I was relieved to find out it was just animation, and that I could appreciate them as just being art.

I assumed the Asteroids watch wasn't controllable, but they make it sound like its actually running a game of Asteroids in the background (like emulation with no control inputs). I knew that was too much to expect.

So the device is just doing a static image slideshow then. How many frames does it flip through before it loops? I wouldn't mind having one, but if it doesn't actually look like it's a real game being played (not smooth, or too little animation) then I'd forget about it.