IGNORED

RGB mod for 5200?

Atari Scorpio

Is there a mod out there to allow the 5200 to display rgb signals so I can use an rgb computer monitor?  Or does anyone know how to pull RGB off the board so i could do this myself?  Thanks.

920713[/snapback]

Unfortunately, the video chip in the 5200 doesn't produce RGB, but rather chroma carrier and brightness signals for TV use. The only way to get RGB is to decode them like a TV does.

-Bry

Is there a mod out there to allow the 5200 to display rgb signals so I can use an rgb computer monitor?  Or does anyone know how to pull RGB off the board so i could do this myself?  Thanks.

920713[/snapback]

Unfortunately, the video chip in the 5200 doesn't produce RGB, but rather chroma carrier and brightness signals for TV use. The only way to get RGB is to decode them like a TV does.

-Bry

920852[/snapback]

And that wouldn't necesserily produce a higher quality picture as it means more processing on the signals compared to the S-Video mods.

/P

920713[/snapback]

-Bry

920852[/snapback]

And that wouldn't necesserily produce a higher quality picture as it means more processing on the signals compared to the S-Video mods.

/P

923774[/snapback]

Right. It would come down to whether the TV or console had the better processing hardware.

TV re-interprets it to RGB inside the set, juas tas the hardware needed for RGB out in a 5200 would.

Besides, RGB output would be of limited use.

At least in North America, devices with RGB input that take NSTC timings are in fairly short supply. Most common RGB device is a VGA monitor, which doesn't usually do 60Hz interlaced.

Component video isn't RGB, despites what you may have heard. It's luma + both components of the chroma signal. So a TV with component inputs isn't taking in RGB.