IGNORED

Sound Problem

alphecca

I am hoping someone can help me figure out what is wrong with my Atari 2600 System? The sound is not working right. You know the static noise that you get after you turn the RF switch to game? Well that sound continues after you turn on the game, so you can only faintly hear and sounds from the game. My other 2600 system works fine on the same tv. We even switched out the rca cord from one system to the other to see if that would help. No such luck. Go the system this way off of ebay. Hope someone can help. Thanks.

If you can faintly hear the sounds behind the static..than I bet the RF need to be adjusted on the RF circuit of the 2600. If you take the cover off then you will notice a metal box on the main board which should contain all the RF stuff in it. There is also a small red colored post with copper wire wrapped around it. I can't be sure if this is visible or under the cover. However, on the cover if it is covered...will be a hold where if you use a small allan wrench. You can turn this slowly to adjust the RF signal strength. I have had to do this to one other 2600 and to a Colecovision as well.

I say that if you can at least hear the sound faintly in the background that all is working just fine with the 2600. You could also try using channel 2 instead of 3 if you have the switch for channel select on it. That might help.

It is a 6 switch Atari.

I don't think it would be the switchbox if it works with the other system though. What is a phone to F connection?

No 2 - 3 channel switch on it either. Damn, that would have been easy. ~smile~

I will have to open it up again and see what I can see. I did notice on the metal box inside, some holes but didn't know you could adjust anything. I will try and let you know if it helps.

Thanks for the help.

it being a six switch does help more. Okay...under the metal box on the board with the switches etc on it...in the lower right hand side will be the RF circuit. On the sides of that box you will see a hole that if you look into it should actually have an octagonal type opening inside. In other words you have actual holes on the outside of the metal box. But when you look in you see what looks like an Allan Wrench Opening actually going through. That is the coil adjustment I was talking about. It is inside the shielding (As is should be...unlike the 7800...) You can find yourself an Allan wrench that will fit in there and turn it slowly in each direction to see if that helps with the sound at all. At some point there will be a happy medium where your sound and picture look best.

Hope that helps you more.

Meant to add that the Phono to F adapter allows you to attach your 2600 directly to the Cable Ant In on your TV. It removes the need for the switch box as you basically just turn the TV to channel three and flip on the Atari. Of course if you actually have cable TV then you need a selector switch to switch between Cable and Game still...but it eliminates the need for the switchbox and it's usually crappy results.

Ok, i got the system open and i see a hole in the large silver box that will fit an allen wrench. Can i turn that while the Atari is on without being blown across the room? Or should i turn it then put it back together and so forth?

I still don't understand where to find this phone to F adaptor, and i do have cable tv and the RF switch is really crappy.

Thank you all for your help so far. This lady knows nothing about technical problems.

It worked, sort of. The buzzing sound went way down so you can hear the sound of the game, but if i turn the allen wrench too far to make the buzz totally go away, the sound of the game goes away too. My husband will be so proud of me.

Thanks for the "how to" on the phono to F adapter. Will buy that tomorrow and try it. Your guys are great. I have another problem with River Raid II but don't want to wear you guys out in one night. ~smile~ Will save that for another day.