IGNORED

Hacking Asteroids

Thomas Jentzsch

quote:

Originally posted by Smart Patrol:

Weird! Should add that to the Vector Asteroids hack and it will be almost arcade-perfect.

I'm currently hacking Asteroids for driving controller support and there I discovered this code, which must have been disabled just before releasing the game. I'll leave it enabled for my hack.

And I could add your vector look to that hack too, if you don't mind.

And I could add your vector look to that hack too, if you don't mind  

Not that I'd have to give "permission" anyway but sure, of course feel free to use it! That thing's been around since 1999 before the whole graphic alteration flood. I never thought too much of it initially since all I did was take out the middle part of the asteroids graphics... but dang it looked nice

By the way, I think what you found is totally AWESOME. That's the way the promo pictures originally showed Asteroids right? i.e. with the remaining ships up on the top. I remember someone writing into a magazine (maybe I can find it and scan it) asking where were those ships were and the magazine saying the usual line about "these things change during production... yada yada yada". Cool find there dude

edited: SmartPatrol answered for me

[ 02-11-2002: Message edited by: NE146 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Jentzsch:

I'm currently hacking Asteroids for driving controller support and there I discovered this code, which must have been disabled just before releasing the game. I'll leave it enabled for my hack.

And I could add your vector look to that hack too, if you don't mind.

Do you have a work-around for "fire" and "thrust" with only one button?

quote:

Originally posted by NE146:

That's the way the promo pictures originally showed Asteroids right? i.e. with the remaining ships up on the top.

Yep. All the early catalog photos showed the reserve ship icons, although they showed 6 icons (the max possible) and the reserve counter at 1

Now I'm wondering if that different screen shot of Space Invaders was really an actual version that existed...

quote:

Originally posted by MattyXB:

@ Thomas Jentzsch

I think Lost Monkey mean, how can you fly and shot with the paddle. By joystick you push up to fly and button to shot. But with paddle you can't press up to fly. You have only 1 Button to shot.

How will you do it. Maybe with the Joypad with 2 Buttons? Or will this only work on Emulator and you add an other key? Like the Buttom for the second Player?

That is exactly what I meant.

Autofire would work...then just use the button for thrust..

quote:

Originally posted by Lost Monkey:

That is exactly what I meant.

Ok, now I got it. I simply use a second joystick for up and down (fire is possible with both controllers). Thrusting is not very necessary in Asteroids and with the features the game IMO is to easy.

I don't know about a better setup without using extra hardware. Do you?

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Jentzsch:

Ok, now I got it. I simply use a second joystick for up and down (fire is possible with both controllers). Thrusting is not very necessary in Asteroids and with the features the game IMO is to easy.

I don't know about a better setup without using extra hardware. Do you?

You could make it REAL hard if thrust was always on!

Obviously there is no way to get "fire", "thrust" and "shields/hyperspace" out of a driving controller.... but you could try auto-fire and use the button for thrust. Hyperspace is for suckers anyway!

I'm pretty sure that ain't a screenshot (of Space Invaders), so I don't think a ROM of it is ever going to turn up. Note how not only to the digits, invaders, gun look painted (not pixellated), but that the playfield doesn't really "wrap" to the shape of a TV screen (i.e. there weren't any flat screens in those days, but the playfield sure looks flat).

Technically, none of the game photos in those early catalogs are screen shots (real screen shots didn't start to appear until the 1982 Rev. F catalog), but the drawings were often very faithful to the actual screen. The artists had to based their drawings on "something", right? Which makes that S.I. picture a real mystery, since a more accurate picture appears in the same catalog, for the S.I. description entry.

quote:

Obviously there is no way to get "fire", "thrust" and "shields/hyperspace" out of a driving controller.... but you could try auto-fire and use the button for thrust. Hyperspace is for suckers anyway!

Why not use a 7800 Pro-Line Joystick. you could use one button for fire and one button for thrust. It would probably be a LOT harder to control, though.

quote:

Originally posted by Scott Stilphen:

Yep. All the early catalog photos showed the reserve ship icons, although they showed 6 icons (the max possible) and the reserve counter at 1

I guess, that the 1 meant the number of current player and not the reserve ships. Perhaps I can locate that code too.

Scott, do you have a screen shot from that Space Invaders version?

[ 02-11-2002: Message edited by: Thomas Jentzsch ]

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyWC:

Great job with the Asteroids vector hack and adding the extra ships on the top! How difficult is it to make all of the objects white and grey (like in the arcade)? I'm sure that would certainly make the game even closer to the original...

That would be quite simple too, but I like it more colorful.

@ Thomas Jentzsch

I think Lost Monkey mean, how can you fly and shot with the paddle. By joystick you push up to fly and button to shot. But with paddle you can't press up to fly. You have only 1 Button to shot.

How will you do it. Maybe with the Joypad with 2 Buttons? Or will this only work on Emulator and you add an other key? Like the Buttom for the second Player?